No announcement yet.

No task is too challenging - An Essex story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The poll finished even so I had the power when I was offered the England captaincy and I took it! It will mainly be an Essex team, we shall see how well we do conquering the world!

Comment

• Contracts (Part 1) –

Kiran decided to re-sign most of his players only letting go a few players including Johnston, Mills, Tremlett, Fuller and Keogh. Both of the youth players Kiran was unsure about and decided to put them in the market with an option to re-sign them once he assessed his finances.

Kiran remembered that the final bowling spot had been a problem throughout the season and tried to address this by signing an up and coming player Rattee, for the same price as Tremlett, whilst signing to youth players who had significant promise, Wayne King, an out and out fast bowler on a 3 year deal and made an odd selection in Jim Adler, a youth player with a bowling average of 25 but Kiran signed him anyway on a 3 year deal.

Kiran is rumoured to be in talks with Alex Hales and is also reportedly looking for an overseas bowler. Reports say he is trying to steal Philander from Warwickshire and is also looking at Southee, Steyn, Corey Anderson and Indian bowler A Patel. B Kumar is also in talks with Essex but looks more likely to return to Trent Bridge. Tremlett was snapped up by Glamorgan quickly and Fuller is set to join Lancashire.

Comment

• Contracts (part two) –

In big news, Philander agreed to sign for Essex which manager Kiran was thrilled about. With the bowling under control, Kiran turned his attention to high-quality batsman and Hales accepted his offer. Kiran is known to like to build youth players and signed a very promising batsman called Ken Connelly on a 3 year deal.

Kiran raised some eyebrows with his baffling decision to buy Phil Strachan on a 3 year deal, considering his average of 43 in 2nd team matches and his relative inexperience. Kiran then looked around the market for the final piece in the puzzle and signed Scott Borthwick for a salary reportedly in excess of 90k. Kiran had two spots left to fill, a relatively cheap player and a reserve.

He decided to try and get Fuller but he joined Lancashire on an inflated one year deal, he then noticed that former Essex man Browne was available and tried to snap him up but Somerset just upped their price and we had to bail out. He could have signed Johnston but he was useless at Essex. Mills signed to Durham and he then was faced with a choice, Gillet or Legg.

The two youth players were relatively ineffective but one would get a contract. The question was Gillet had performed better and was more aggressive, filling the mould we needed but Legg had really promising 2nd team stats, despite a loss of form and looked to be a promising bet for the future and so Kiran signed him on a one year deal.

With all funds exhausted, Kiran turned his attention to a quality reserve player. After splurging big money on Philander, he needed to find a player not playing in the IPL, thus ruling out possible candidates Kumar, Patel, Anderson and Steyn. McLaren couldn’t be signed as he was the same nationality as Philander so Southee remained.

But Kiran looked carefully and found D Chauhan, an Indian batsman not playing in the IPL and signed him for a large sum as a reserve. Keogh looked like he was going to go unsold but Leics snapped him up at the last moment. Gillet was also signed late to Somerset and Johnston unsurprisingly went unsold.

Comment

• Tour of Bangladesh – Squad

It is basically an Essex squad with only two other players as Murray has been called in as has Craddock. Unfortunately I can’t select ten Doeschate because I would.

1st test – Bangladesh

We go into this match with a strong team but Bangladesh look like they can match it. The teams were as follows.

We won the toss and batted first and Bangladesh got off to an amazing start with an 177 run opening stand. The wickets tumbled after that though going to Corbett. The spinners ripped through our top order and only a late order revival from Cook and Corbett with support from Cowe avoided the follow on.

We knocked over Bangladesh quite quickly but with only half an hour left on the 3rd day, we sent in Corbett and Cowe as nightwatchmen. They negotiated the day but Corbett fell early on day 4 before Cowe and Cook built a partnership, with Cowe scoring his maiden 50. Unfortunately, we collapsed and handed Bangladesh a big win.

Batting Award: Alistair Cook – 2 hundreds

Bowling Award: Steve Corbett – 12 wickets

Series State: Bangladesh led the 2 match series 1-0

Comment

• 2nd test match – Bangladesh – Chittagong

Lots of changes as Cowe, Rattee, Bopara and Bairstow drop out for Wyatt, Craddock, Hales and Kieswetter. We batted first and really only Cook made any big score with an unbeaten 184 although Gregson made a well-compiled 80. Tamim Iqbal and Hossain combined well to give Bangladesh a lead.

Then the spinners tore through our line-up leaving Gregson helpless at the other end. Bangladesh only required a small total for victory but Borthwick took 6 to give us the win.

Batting Award: Simon Gregson – harsh not to give it to Cook but Gregson played really well

Bowling Award: Scott Borthwick – amazing performance

Series State: 1-1 draw. Next up we are off to India

Comment

• Friendly – Mumbai CC – Mumbai

Only changes to squad are Dixon and Connelly come in for Craddock and Murray.

Few things:

• Worrying signs
              • Gregson is a class above the rest

Friendly – Karnataka – Delhi

• Westley is ready for the big stage
              • Gregson is too

Comment

• 1st Test Match – India – Delhi

India batted first and got off to a good start with Nair and Kohli putting on 150 before a collapse got us back in the game but Rahane gave India the edge with a run a ball hundred. Only Westley put up a fight as we had to follow on before Ojha knocked out our top order and it was left to the lower-order to salvage some pride.

Batting Award: Tom Westley – good performance

Bowling Award: Reece Topley – just

Series State: India lead the 4 match series 1-0

Comment

• 2nd test Match – India – Delhi

No, not even talking about this.

Comment

• 3rd test match – India – Mumbai

Winning the toss and fielding, we only made 1 change with Eckersley out and Hales in. We bowled really well with only Kohli and new Essex man Chauhan making any decent score. Shami ripped through our top order but our lower order of Borthwick, Bairstow and Hales rescued us.

Dhoni combined well with the lower order to set us a decent target but we had an inevitable collapse to give India the series.

Batting Award: Jonny Bairstow – great in the first innings

Bowling Award: Steve Corbett – having an off year but did ok today

Series State: India lead the 4 match series 3-0

Comment

• 4th test match – India – Bangalore

No changes as we look to get a consolation win. India batted first and Corbett and Borthwick ran through the team leaving them stunned. We didn’t do much better but got a big lead. Unfortunately, India proved why they were such a strong side and we never stood a chance.

Batting Award: Alistair Cook – well played

Bowling Award: Steve Corbett – decent bowling

Series State: India wins the 4 match series 4-0

Comment

• Wanted to quickly run through that fateful tour, should start new season tomorrow!

Comment

• Originally posted by KGKOOLKAT777 View Post
                          Wanted to quickly run through that fateful tour, should start new season tomorrow!
                          Are you going to continue only picking Essex players in your england team mate?
                          Good idea in theory but I think you'd better get used to being beaten unfortunately in most games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dick Van Dykes Disco Dog View Post
                            Are you going to continue only picking Essex players in your england team mate?
                            Good idea in theory but I think you'd better get used to being beaten unfortunately in most games.
                            Spoilers for tomorrow, but I do decide to resign from the England captaincy but may pick it up later on. I just wanted to test out a few players!

Comment

• Originally posted by KGKOOLKAT777 View Post
                              Spoilers for tomorrow, but I do decide to resign from the England captaincy but may pick it up later on. I just wanted to test out a few players!
                              That's a surprise - shame you couldn't put a few of your guys into the england team

Comment

• Pre-season: We drop the England captaincy after that awful run. Might leave that to someone else. For our first match we have to make a few tough cuts as both Philander and Matthie are playing in the IPL so Chauhan is in. I decided to keep ten Doeschate in for Hales and that is pretty much it. This season I ought to check up on players more and if they don’t perform they are out. Reputations count for nothing this season. Yorkshire has a formidable team and Gloucs have beefed up their batting. As I stole Rattee and Philander from Warwickshire they don’t seem as threatening but the two to watch out for will be the two promoted teams Hampshire and Surrey. With the squad I have, almost international standard, we have to aim for a win.

Comment

Working...
                                X