No task is too challenging - An Essex story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCD1 – Durham – Durham

Winning the toss and batting first, Matthie and Connelly combined for a brilliant stand. Topley and Corbett then proceeded to knock Durham over and we enforced the follow on. They did better in their second innings but we still had a relatively easy target to get and Matthie ensured we had no problems.

Batting Award: Nicholas Matthie – he really is coming good

Bowling Award: Reece Topley – amazing spell in the 1st innings

For the final game we play Hampshire at Southampton

Comment

• Challenge Trophy Update

Well we did it!

Comment

• CCD1 -Hampshire – Southampton

Unchanged team but we lose the toss and have to bowl first. We bowled pretty badly but Corbett bowled well and managed to restrict Hampshire to a decent total. Gregson and Connelly both scored fantastic hundreds as we declared with a large lead. We had to bowl them out quickly but in the end we needed 100 from 10 and after losing an early wicket, we decided not to risk it.

Batting Award: Simon Gregson/ Ken Connelly – both found their groove this season. Connelly fits into the team well and Gregson had his most productive season yet.

Bowling Award: Steve Corbett – 10 wickets. Amazing stuff.

We had a great season but will it be enough to take the title?

Comment

• Final Table

And the winner is…

We did it, and by a landslide too. My goal has been met. Full season review coming up.

Comment

• Ex-players

After making the switch to Derbyshire, Tom Craddock hasn’t played as well playing only ten games but got wickets at an average of 25

Phil Bowles – 9 games but didn’t do much

Tymal Mills – regular in Durham’s team and he played alright with an average of 33

Chris Tremlett – average returns

Mark Pettini – did alright with 550 runs

Garry Park – in and out but pretty average

Rob Keogh – breakthrough season for him with 1471 runs

Graham Napier – very average

Sajid Mahmood – 3 games 14 wickets. Played 10 t20s though

Nick Browne – 842 runs in the season, pretty good for him

Comment

• Ratings for Season

10 – Nicholas Matthie – when available scored amazingly well. (2 awards)

Ken Connelly – getting a ten in the first season is good. Connelly really showed why he is such a promising player. (4 awards)

9.5 – Steve Corbett – again when available played really well but not to his full potential. (4 awards)

9 – Scott Borthwick – amazing start to the season, trailed off a bit after England selected him though. (6 awards)

Simon Gregson – had a lean start to the season but did well after that. (4 awards)

Alistair Cook – an average of over 50 was good for the England captain (2 awards)

8 – Reece Topley – played all the games and got a heap of wickets as well. (3 awards)

Jonny Bairstow – a good average and kept well. (2 awards)

D Chauhan – played like a very good overseas player should (3 awards)

7 – Ravi Bopara – got dropped but had decent returns (1 award)

Bill Rattee – played well but then had to be dropped to accommodate Philander

6- Steve Copperfield – played well when required (1 award)

5- Vernon Philander – not of the quality I expect (1 award)

4 – Charles Dixon – he did ok but nothing special (1 award)

3 – Tom Westley – very disappointing this season, I expect much more

Wayne King – showed signs of promise but not much overall

2 – Ryan ten Doeschate – was ok but I dropped him early, has probably lost it.

Alex Hales – not as impressive as I had hoped

Ben Foakes – given an opportunity but didn’t take it

1 – Jim Adler – not likely to get a contract renewal

Dan Cowe – wicketless in 2 games.

Comment

• Post Season

Well, I achieved my goal that I wanted; we had a fantastic season in all forms and a really strong squad. Gregson stepped up towards the end of the season and the bowlers bowled so well Philander wasn’t missed. Hopefully we can defend our title next season.

Comment

• Contracts (Part 1)

James Foster surprised everyone when he announced his retirement. Kiran decided to keep ten Doeschate purely for his record but he did decide to let go Eckersley, Hales, Legg, Adler and Strathan (the youth player) but he terminated the contract of Strathan the batsman.

With limited funds he set to build a tough squad, picking up a youth fast bowler called Jewell in the 1st round. He has his eyes set on Rory Burns, Alex Lees and Mitchell Matthews. The youth player Strathan was signed up by Surrey on a 3 year deal for an inflated sum quickly.

P.S. Stick around tomorrow as there is a huge announcement coming!

Comment

• Contracts (Part Two)
                    Rory Burns and Mitchell Matthews rejected Kiran’s offers but Lees did sign on. Kiran surprised many by signing Keith Barker. As Middlesex picked up Legg and Northants picked up the batsman Strathan, Kiran turned his attention to overseas players. Philander stood out and Kiran had no hesitations resigning him.

The reserve was more complicated but Azam got the job. Eckersley and Hales were still in the contracts in the last round but were both snapped up for cheap prices on 2 year deals. Stay tuned for the big announcement!

Comment

• Ok, here is the announcement everyone has been waiting for.

I have achieved my goal with this story and so will be taking a break from it. I am NOT retiring it just a hiatus.

The good news is I have two new stories in the wings. I am starting a shorter story on Sunday so enjoy! The other one may come after that.

Comment

• After a bit of thought, I have decided to return to this story with immediate effect. I think I will leave the legends story to Mongrel, who is doing a fantastic job but I still have another story, waiting in the wings as well.

Comment

• Pre-season – An exciting season beckons for the defending champions. They look to have every base covered and have players of the calibre of Barker and Rattee in the reserves. That being said, if anything the batting looks a little light and with Matthie away with the IPL and most likely being featured regularly in the England signing, superstar Gregson and new recruit Lees are going to have to step up. There is some exciting talent coming through Essex, with Connelly looking to build on his breakthrough season and Dixon looking a bright prospect. The bowler Jewell also looks to be one for the future. Once again, Corbett will lead the attack but Essex will be without Philander for the IPL and Topley for the first game so Borthwick will have to hold an end. The older players like ten Doeschate and Bopara look done but Cook and Westley will have to work hard to hold their places from people like Dixon and Kieswetter. Westley will start at 4 giving Lees the opening spot. Essex must look to defend their crown.

Comment

• University Match – Durham UCCE – Durham

I rested a few set players and played some fringe players to open up the gaps.

Only a few things to say about this match.
                            • We are obviously going to rely heavily on Corbett once again
                            • The tail can stick around when they need to but can’t when they should
                            • Barker’s batting might help him get into the side
                            • Jewell looks a bright prospect
                            • Connelly will bolster the side
                            • Westley looks to be on the brink of being dropped
                            • Cook is losing it
                            • We really can’t let them get off to a flyer like we did

Next up Derbyshire at Derby

Comment

• And there will be an ending to this story... I have gone 20 years into the future outside of the media's watchful eye and some players just starting out have become true stars. Did Gregson and Corbett become regulars for England. Who became the most capped player with over 300 matches, retiring in his 40s with an amazing record? The ending to this story will be coming soon.

I have a couple of little stories coming to 2015 in the near future with a long story to cap it all off. All this shall be coming very soon, so stay tuned!

Comment

• Essex: The Final Chapter

So, how I will do this is I will post the profiles of the players retired first and keep going until we have reached the end of this series. I will then do an analysis and preview of the new 2015 story. I can also attach the file if people want to play on with it.

The Early Retirees

Comment

Working...
                                X