No task is too challenging - An Essex story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CCD1 – Sussex – Chelmsford

Southee is back and comes in, as does Keogh for Dixon and Matthie for Cook, who has been selected for England and Copperfield looked average so Cowe comes in as an opener. Sussex won the toss and batted first and Topley ripped through them very well, taking 5.

When we batted, the contributions were not big, with only Cowe making an impact scoring a career best 95. Still, we grabbed a large lead. In their second innings, Sussex did ok but we were still favourites but we capitulated to lose by 11 runs.

Batting Award: Dan Cowe- always seems to punch above his weight as an opener.

Bowling Award: Reece Topley – unlucky to be on the losing side with his performance.

Championship State: 4th and our title hopes seem to be slipping away. Next up a crucial match against Warwickshire in Birmingham.

Comment

CCD1 – Warwickshire – Birmingham

We made 1 change as Matthie is with England so Kieswetter comes in and takes the gloves from Bairstow. We lost the toss and bowled and Trott and Ambrose made us pay for poor bowling and Warwickshire racked up 358. After losing two quick wickets, we got down to work before declaring 50 ahead.

A 174 run opening stand nearly put us out of the game before Warwickshire declared after Cowe got 4 quickly. We had 27 overs to get the runs, an improbable task and decided to go for the draw after an early wicket.

Batting Award: Tom Westley – a good 92

Bowling Award: Dan Cowe - good performance

Championship State: 3rd next up 9th ranked Durham in Durham

Comment

CCD1 – Durham – Durham

We made some big changes to our team as our England players, Cook, Matthie and Corbett were back and slotted in for Tremlett, Keogh and Kieswetter. Since his majestic double ten Doeschate has looked out of touch so I am “resting” him to an extent as Eckersley has been in great form.

Contributions all the way down nullified our strong bowling attack as Durham scored over 400. We did shockingly, being asked to follow on. We actually did worse in our second innings giving Durham a 40 run target which they got with ease.

Batting Award: (insert name here)

Bowling Award: (insert name here)

Championship State: 5th but looking dangerously close to relegation. Next up a huge match against Gloucs at home where we will need big changes to turn around our losing streak.

Comment

CCD1 – Gloucs – Chelmsford

Big changes as Cook and Corbett are out so Dixon and Copperfield come in. Cowe has looked really out of touch with the ball and so drops out for Fuller (Wyatt is still injured otherwise he would come in) and Eckersley drops out for ten Doeschate. We won the toss and batted with Matthie and Bopara scoring centuries and ten Doeschate chipping in with a run a ball 70.

We were doing fantastically before Mullaney and Miles combined for a 160 run stand. Although they had to follow on a result was never on the cards but we did gain 12 valuable points.

Batting Award: Ravi Bopara – good stuff in the first innings

Bowling Award: Tim Southee- decent but not quite what I want

Championship State: 4th next up 2nd place Sussex at Hove

Comment

Do you regret not having taken control of the 20/20 and ODs as well?
            I remember doing a similar story with the previous version (FC only) and after a while, I wished I'd done all three forms of the game to gain experience with them.

Comment

Yeah, maybe but I might do another story with T20 in a while.

Comment

CCD1 – Sussex – Hove

Cook, Corbett and Wyatt are in as Southee is injured and we bat first. A 190 run stand between Westley and Matthie was the only decent thing in our batting. We didn’t bowl great either with only Wyatt doing anything good with a 4 for.

Another Westley hundred gave us a strong platform to declare but that was pretty much it. I am finding a problem in knocking over weak teams.

Batting Award: Tom Westley – amazing in both innings

Bowling Award: Alex Wyatt – great in his first match in Essex colours.

Championship State: 3rd but we have a fair break until we play Kent at home

Comment

CCD1 – Kent – Chelmsford

With Corbett with England and McLaren back, a straight swap is done, only other change is Copperfield out for Tremlett to return. Two new youth players have come through, one being Christian Gillet, an aggressive batsman who has an average of around 40, maybe a good 20-20 player but not quite right for me. But James Legg with an average of 65 looks to be the goods for me. I may try him out later in the season.

We batted first and got runs all the way down with Bairstow’s run a ball hundred being a highlight. Only a late 69 run stand saved Kent some pride as they were asked to follow on with a huge deficit. They didn’t go down without a fight though with Coles and Fish both scoring centuries. Needing 104, we lost a few wickets but were always in control.

Batting Award: Nicholas Matthie – great batting

Bowling Award: Reece Topley a 10 for, ripped through the Kent line-up.

Championship State: 4th. We have a month off now but we play Durham at home.

Comment

Topley, Meaker and Clare are at the top my want list.

Comment

Yeah, I have found Meaker has been brilliant against me and Topley spearheads my attack when my demon bowler Corbett is with England

Comment

CCD1 – Durham – Chelmsford

A few changes as Southee is back and Cook and Matthie are off to play for England so Dixon and Legg come in. We batted first and a Gregson hundred really put us in a fantastic position. Then, the part time seam of Ravi Bopara ripped through the tail giving us a substantial lead.

We collapsed in our second innings with a 94 from Bopara saving us. Durham didn’t have a massive target but some typically crafty bowling from Wyatt and controlled aggression from Southee gave us a big win.

Batting Award: Simon Gregson- an impressive hundred

Bowling Award: Ravi Bopara – 5 wickets in a good spell

Championship State: 5th. Next up Pakistan but then Yorkshire at home.

Comment

How have you found Southee to be? Considering him as a potential transfer target to join Kumara in my T20 line up
                          Nottinghamshire supporter and proud!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveK93 View Post
                            How have you found Southee to be? Considering him as a potential transfer target to join Kumara in my T20 line up
                            Ooh, that's a tough question to answer simply. I have found him to be good but not worth his price tag. If you can afford a high-profile overseas player go for Philander. In saying that, if you can grab Trent Boult that is worth it as he is relatively cheap but seriously good.

Comment

Originally posted by KGKOOLKAT777 View Post
                              Ooh, that's a tough question to answer simply. I have found him to be good but not worth his price tag. If you can afford a high-profile overseas player go for Philander. In saying that, if you can grab Trent Boult that is worth it as he is relatively cheap but seriously good.
                              Trent Boult is very good on this, unfortunately he usually destroys me. If Lancashire (?) relinquish him on my file, I think he'll be a certainty. Should also dovetail with Topley quite nicely I would imagine.
                              Nottinghamshire supporter and proud!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveK93 View Post
                                Trent Boult is very good on this, unfortunately he usually destroys me. If Lancashire (?) relinquish him on my file, I think he'll be a certainty. Should also dovetail with Topley quite nicely I would imagine.
                                Yeah, Gloucs won't release him but I would grab him.

Comment

Working...
                                X