Nottinghamshire Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notts vs Warwickshire, T20 QF

With both the England lads back for this, Notts looked to put themselves in with a chance of being at finals day, against Warwickshire. Swann and Broad came in for Dalrymple and Phillips, which were fairly routine changes.

The toss went my way, and we decided to bowl first, so we had a target to chase. Warwickshire started well, but were struggling to read the spin of Swann and Patel, their spells in between a great spell by Paul Franks, who got 4-28. Only Trott and Ambrose made it over 30 for Warwickshire, whose total of 160-9 is decent, and sets up a good game.

Losing a couple of key wickets early on didn’t worry Nottinghamshire in the end, as a flawless innings from James Taylor saw him reach 96, before falling just before his century. Ably supported by Patel (37*), the loss of three early wickets became irrelevant as they chased the total with ease, reaching 163-4 with 4 overs to spare.

So, my first finals day, and hopefully the first of many! Just worth noting, that James Taylor has only played two T20 games for me this season, his lowest total in the 80s. This guy will hopefully go far!

For now though, we have Sussex in the longest format for the county teams.
    Nottinghamshire supporter and proud!

Comment

Notts vs Sussex

The only news before this match is that the T20 semis have been drawn, with Nottinghamshire to play Glamorgan in the semi-final, with a potential final against Sussex or Middlesex.

For now though, we have Sussex in the County Championship, and have the luxury of playing the England lads in a first class game. We lost the toss, and batted first, on a batting track, but poor weather. It was a slow innings by all accounts, with runs coming from all areas of the team, Ellis making his first FC half century as Notts reached 379-9, with the blow that Andre Adams picked up a knock during the innings and can’t continue this match. However, we have two pace bowlers, so we should be ok, if all the bowlers perform.

Sussex, who have been poor and find themselves in the relegation zone, ignored the form book as they hit a massive 505-9, with Matt Prior preparing to face South Africa in the tests by scoring 178*, and causing Notts all end of problems. Lacking Adams, the bowling attack was weakened, and Sussex milked it.

Notts realised that there was no hope in trying to win this match, and just played for the draw. Reaching 458 all out late on the 4th day, a good performance from Samit Patel saw him reach 175*, with other performances from Voges (76), Hales (73), and Taylor (58). It’s now fairly clear, late in the day, with a lead of over 200; this is going to be a draw. Unless 10 wickets fall very quickly, then I’m content to take the points gained so far.

Sussex had 3 overs, in which they reached 12-0, so really not much to report.

Overall, I can live with the draw, but I would have preferred a win obviously. Once I lost Andre Adams to injury, it was always going to be a struggle, so I wasn’t holding out much hope. I’ve now got to hope that he isn’t out for long.

Next up, Surrey in the one day game.

Comment

Notts vs Surrey

The news just gets better and better. After losing Andre Adams for 3 weeks, the England selectors call up Alex Hales, alongside Swann and Broad. Whilst I don’t begrudge him a test call-up, I’m now missing my main opener, so Lumb will open with Ellis, and Elstone will have to return for the Surrey match. Also in are Phillips, Pattinson, and Dalrymple.

The match itself started with Notts batting after winning the toss. In a shake-up of the order, and a change from the original plan, Voges and Lumb opened. This worked, with some quick starts from various batsmen, and Taylor and Elstone combining well to provide stability, as Nottinghamshire managed to reach 241-6 in testing conditions. I’m happy with this, given the players that are missing, and the weather conditions, so we should be able to at least provide a competitive match.

Surrey never really got going and only made it to 159. They lost wickets consistently, with no batsmen ever getting going, as Patel and Dalrymple limited the batsmen. The size of the win pleases me, as does the fact that the back-up bowlers performed well, however, I’m under no illusions about the fact I do need to strengthen for next year.

For now, the next match is against Glamorgan in the Challenge Trophy.

Comment

Notts vs Glamorgan

No major news, Jake Ball returns from injury, he may get a game if I lose any more players but for now, he’ll have to be content with the 2nd XI.
          The only change for this match is that Kelsall comes in for Ellis, mainly for fitness reasons, and that I want to look at Kelsall again, to see if it’s worth offering him a new contract.

The toss went Nottinghamshire’s way, who elected to bat on a spinning pitch. The logic behind this was that I had two spinners in the team, so was planning to exploit the turning conditions in the 2nd innings, and limit the chase. Batting first, it was a slow start for Nottinghamshire, losing Elstone early, but a quick-fire 37 from Lumb, one of three batsmen to get 37 in the innings, kept things ticking over. Kelsall and Taylor made sure that the score kept moving forward, before a late burst by Jamie Dalrymple saw Notts reaching a respectable 221 all out.

In the end, most of the damage was done by a pace bowler. Pattinson ripped through the top order in a devastating 6 over spell, ably assisted by Phillips, as Glamorgan struggled throughout. Only 4 Glamorgan batsmen got into double figures, and three of those were lower order! Dalrymple got 3 wickets as well, in what was a great all-round performance, and cemented his place as the back-up spinner, ahead of Graeme White.

The result also sees us more or less qualified for the semi-finals, so I can relax a bit, and start playing some reserves now.

Comment

Notts vs Somerset

Hales, Swann and Broad have all returned from international duty, but a bigger boost is the return of Andy Carter, who was in good form, and will hopefully play a key role in the next few matches. Osmond is out however, and with that, looks unlikely to secure a contract for next season.
            All 4 returnees come in at the expense of Elstone, Franks, Dalrymple and Phillips.

The toss went my way, and I chose to bat, in good conditions, and a nice track to bat on. The openers, Hales and Lumb made hay in the sunshine, scoring quickly, and giving the innings a foundation from which to build on. Sensible performances from Lumb and Kelsall saw Notts pass 300, before a mini-collapse threatened the possibility of getting full batting point. However, Broad and Swann batted efficiently to ensure maximum points.

By the time Somerset came to bat, the pitch was crumbling, and some fine bowling by Broad and Carter saw Somerset fall just short of 300. The last over saw three wickets fall for Carter, all lbws, with no runs conceded! Somerset, by not making the necessary total, were asked to bat again, on a rapidly deteriorating pitch. I decided the follow on was necessary to try and force the result, and ensure a full 24 points.

The second innings followed a similar pattern to the first, except this time, the spinners became far more effective, and bowled the majority of the overs, with Pattinson chipping in at the end with 3 wickets. However, enough runs were conceded to see Somerset go 151 ahead, and with a session and a half left of day 4, it was going to be tense, but I was confident that we should see the match out.

Notts did their hardest to throw the game away towards the end, first with a slowing scoring rate, and then by losing as many wickets as possible. Once again, Lumb and Kelsall had the presence of mind to play sensibly,but as they neared the target, they both departed, and Patel and Taylor threw their wickets away, before Wessels knocked off the winning runs with 3 overs to spare. 24 points were gained from this match, which I’m happy with, and the result leaves us in a good position.

Next up for me, 1st vs 2nd in the Challenge Trophy group B, as we play Somerset. A win would see us guarantee our place in the next round.

Comment

Notts vs Somerset

The two teams meet again in different circumstances, as both teams are going strongly in the competition. Notts lose the services of Hales, Swann and Broad, so Elstone returns, as does Phillips, and Dalrymple.

The toss went my way again, so I elected to bat. Lumb went early on, but a masterful innings from Scott Elstone saw him reach his first one day century, as Notts posted 226-6, with other contributions coming from Voges and Wessels. It’s possible we could have scored more really, the runs dried up towards the end, but it’s a defendable total.

Or not… Somerset didn’t really put a foot wrong, as Kieswetter and Eyre battened down the hatches to reach the total comfortably. It’s annoying from my point of view; there wasn’t much I could do to break the partnership. Still, it’ll keep me on my toes, this result, because I will need to keep winning to secure first.

My next match is against Durham in the County Championship, in a match that is likely to determine 2nd place. 1st place Middlesex are 13 points ahead, so I’ll be looking for them to slip up as well.

Comment

Notts vs Durham

No changes to the team, so straight on to the match!

Notts won the toss, and bat on a batting pitch, but with there likely to be rain in the first session, I will need to defend for now. Fortunately, my batsmen took the hint and batted well, making a strong 438, with contributions from most of them, especially Elstone and Taylor, who both got into the 70s. Given the conditions, this was a good performance, and will hopefully give us a good platform.

Durham retaliated with two very strong performances from Di Venuto, who hit 105, and Ben Stokes, who demonstrated his talent with a flawless 134.They finished on 410, giving Nottinghamshire a slender lead, at the tea of day 3. Pick of the bowlers was Ben Phillips, the veteran showing why he deserves to be picked, getting 5 wickets, and bowling a significant amount more overs than the other bowlers.

Nottinghamshire needed to pick up runs quickly, in order to post a target and try and force a win. Adam Voges was vital to the team here, scoring a cracking 107 not out. Samit Patel scored a quick-fire 80 as well, so when we declared on 332-8, I was more than happy that we looked to have nullified the game. I’ve come to the decision that we won’t win the game, but because Middlesex lost to Surrey, I’m content to keep the draw.

Well, the draw would have been nice, but this is fantastic! My bowling attack came through for me here in a big way. Andy Carter completely destroyed the top order, and it looked as if the rest would soon follow. Ably supported by Darren Pattinson, the Durham batsmen crumbled, before the spinners finished it off. The weather had gone cloudy, so swing was available, on a crumbling pitch, but I never suspected that I would manage to pull off a result. The win puts us well in the title race, after we go top, but the season is far from over yet. Knowing how this season has been so far, I’ll mirror Somerset IRL and lose everything at the last moment.

To try and continue this amazing end to the season, we’ve got Durham again, this time in the Challenge Trophy.

Comment

Notts vs Durham

Once again, no changes for this match, so right in to the match.

Notts lost the toss and were put in the field. It was a batting track, but unsettled weather, so I had to wait and see how that helped me. Durham got off to a slow start, with wickets from both of the opening bowlers, but once the middle order pairing of Collingwood and Stokes had settled for a bit, they started to pile on the runs. In fact, the run rate picked up dramatically towards the end, as they were 135-5 after 30 overs, so it was an impressive effort. Andy Carter continued his impressive season, getting another 4 wickets.

Nottinghamshire’s openers of Lumb and Elstone provided a performance of sheer class as they reached 153 before Elstone fell for 64,continuing his good form, as Lumb continued on, falling just before the end for 110.The game was virtually chanceless up until the first wicket, by the time Lumb reached his century, the result was just a formality. Patel hit the winning runs to put us over the line, and seal qualification for the semi-finals of the competition.

Next, T20 finals day.

Comment

T20 Semi-Final vs Glamorgan.

So, my first chance of silverware. And it is hampered by the fact that Samit Patel has been called up for England alongside the other three, so it leaves me a spinner light. However, Adams is back, so Dalrymple will have to move up the order. The change is Adams for Patel.

The match had a distinctly Australian feel to it, as Adam Voges and Shaun Marsh provided entertainment for the fans. Nottinghamshire owed a lot to Michael Lumb as well as Adam Voges, especially after James Taylor departed cheaply. The total of 192-5 was a good total, and far better than I had considered possible at the start of play.

Shaun Marsh helped to make the match a contest, after the Glamorgan top order crumbled in the first 3 overs. After 3, Glamorgan found themselves at 22-5 and staring down the barrel of defeat. Cooke tried to support Marsh, but after he fell with the score on 72, it looked over. However, the tail-enders deferred the strike to Marsh wherever possible, and I became very worried that I may have thrown away an easy victory. When Pattinson had Marsh caught at short-leg, I breathed a sigh of relief.

For us next, we have the final of the T20 cup, against Sussex, who beat Middlesex by 22 runs in the other semi-final. Even if we don’t win, I’m immensely happy that we actually made it there, especially with the topsy-turvy season we have had.

Comment

Notts vs Sussex T20 Final

Well, it was a high scoring final, but really, I should have won it. Having dropped Kelsall for Franks, we posted a high total.In any normal T20 match, we would have won. But Nash was unstoppable. He and Joyce were hard to remove and made it that we were played out the final. Still, we got to the final, which I am more than impressed with, and I never expected that we would challenge. There is room for improvement, especially in the bowling department, but impressive performances by Carter this year suggests he will be a key part of my T20 campaign for years to come.

Next, we are back to the Challenge Trophy, and a game against the T20 semi-finalists, Glamorgan. It's the last game of the group stages, and having already qualified, I have the full intention of playing my reserves.

Last edited by DaveK93; 08-03-2012, 10:30 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Tough luck in the T20 final, but overall, you're going really well.

Comment

Thanks, have been given Kent in the Challenge cup semi finals, so that is something to look forward to, but hopefully I'll win one of the trophies available this season.

Comment

Notts vs Glamorgan

The entire team has been changed for this match, so the team sheet now reads:
                            Turner
                            Ellis
                            Kelsall
                            Elstone
                            Casey
                            Wood
                            Read
                            Ball
                            Fletcher
                            Gurney
                            Hutton

Overall, the match went well. This was a dead rubber for me, so it will only be a short report, but once again, the bowlers appeared to lack the ability to keep the runs down, except Sam Wood, who clocked up four maidens. He may be one for the future so I shall keep an eye on him. North was left to run the show for Glamorgan, who set a testing target.

The batting was more impressive, with all the batsmen scoring quickly. Ellis and Read both hit half centuries; Read’s being vital to hold the innings together, alongside Jake Ball, who impressed more with the bat than the ball, as he got a quick-fire 47. Overall, everyone contributed, and I’m happy with the performance, and some of these players will hopefully play for the club in years to come.

Challenge Trophy Semi Finals:
                            Essex vs Sussex
                            Kent vs Nottinghamshire

Next up, Warwickshire in the CCD1.

Comment

Notts vs Warwicks

Typical. As soon as Voges hits form, Australia call him up. I’m now left without an overseas player for the rest of this season.
                              The team sheet for this one reads:

Lumb
                              Wessels
                              Taylor
                              Elstone
                              Kelsall
                              Wood
                              Read
                              Dalrymple
                              Adams
                              Carter
                              Pattinson

Again, a must win match if I want the title, I’m currently in 2nd, but played a game less. The gap is 12 points, so the title is still on.

In the end, it wasn’t particularly exciting or entertaining, and I’m glad to have finished it. It was rain affected and not fun at all. The two teams were evenly matched, and a draw was always likely after the first innings. I think the main problem is that it’s just the end of the season, and I want to get it finished.

Apologies for a short, rather boring report, but that matches the type of match it was. Kelsall also got injured for 4 weeks leaving me short of another batsman.

Next up is the cup semi-final against Kent, and onwards to my next chance of silverware.

Comment

Notts vs Kent

The only change that is made is that the injured Kelsall misses out, Albert Ellis steps in.

We tried really hard to throw this cup match away. Really hard. First, we gave away a strong position in the field to let Kent get to 214-7. That annoyed me enough. Then our turn to bat came. At one point we were 79-5 and really didn’t look like we would make it. Only a determined effort from the senior players and tail-enders pulled us through, where we will be playing Essex in the final, after they beat Sussex.

For our next match, we’ll be trying to secure the County Championship title. We are currently in 3rd in the table, 11 points behind first. Both Middlesex and Durham are ahead of us, but have played one more match than us. It’s going to be a close one.

Comment

Working...
                                X