No announcement yet.

Custom Field Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone see Brendan McCullums 10 minute feature in field placing during the England one day series with NZ?
    On you tube I think
    Have tried using some of his logic with varying success

4 slips for first few overs or a field based on bowling solely at leg stump - very interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Van Dykes Disco Dog View Post
      I think I know the one
      I use some of their field setting for my spinner in limited over games.

I recommend the other thread on this as I have definitely noticed success when trying some of these field placings - Kishorea well played mate!

http://forum.childishdownloads.co.uk...eld-Placements
      Thanks for the appreciation, Dick Van Dykes!

It'll be fun if more of us can share the custom fields that have worked for us.

Comment

By the way, this is a question for Chris and Sureshot.

Does the aggression level of a bowler have an effect that is independent of the field placements? Is there a purpose for this control other than changing fields? Does it sometimes make sense to bowl with say, 3 aggression bars, with a highly spread out field - as in targeting the stumps for a tail-ender while having sweepers out to save boundaries in a tight situation?

Well, that ended up being 3 questions! But it's about the same thing after all..
        Last edited by kishorea; 07-24-2015, 06:54 PM.

Comment

So I'm still having real problems actually winning games.. although maybe I'm suffering because I'm playing as Derby. I can't seem to stop opposition teams scoring huge totals, and then my batsmen seem to be skittled. The latter I guess is just luck - my tactic is to gradually work up to three aggression (up to the line) and then leave them there unless I need to make a score - I do get quite low run rates, but Derby's initial lineup is rather defensive.

However, the bowlers seem to be totally feckless, they can't get anyone out or prevent them from getting to high scores.

It feels like my team does better if I just let the AI take the game!

Comment

Originally posted by kishorea View Post
            Thanks for the appreciation, Dick Van Dykes!

It'll be fun if more of us can share the custom fields that have worked for us.
            Amy time mate - great posts

You just need to sort me out with some spinners fields now pal

Comment

Why the default field settings in OD still wierd? Silly mid off/on in ODis????

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Van Dykes Disco Dog View Post
                Amy time mate - great posts

You just need to sort me out with some spinners fields now pal
                Haven't tried too many variations with the spinners fields, the default fields seem to be okay for my bowlers. But one thing I do is I keep a slip and a short leg even with the most defensive fields. In first class matches you often get one to turn and take an edge, and you want a couple of catchers in. The default fields don't provide that.

Comment

You interested in playing online?

Comment

Hi guys, new member here.

I am confused regarding exactly how to manipulate the Custom/User Defined Field settings.

I have spent literally hours making a varied assortment of alterations to the standard field settings, according to whatever my needs call for during each instance of play -- yet you can imagine my 'dismay' when having set all these masterpieces of cricket captaincy genius loose on the denziens of this poor unsuspecting game world -- that every time I changed line or pace etc, the game seems to default back to the original standard settings.

I do have "default to user defined fields" (or however it terms this) set in the options menu, so I don't know why this keeps occuring during any kind of transistion I make.

The custom fields I have created are still there on the list, it is just that the game does not select them, and I find that as I play mostly ball-by-ball, I have to keep reselecting the field I want for each delivery every time I make the slightest change.

For example of what I mean: say I'm bowling fast outside off on a good length for a few balls, looking to set up an opportunity to sling in a surprise middle-off yorker -- when I make that change, rather than defaulting to the field I have painstakingly designed for that scenario - it will default to the standard option everytime. I then have to keep going back into the field selection menu, find my own one, and reset it.

I then return to a line outside off -- and rather than my own settings that I had there just the very ball before this travesty occured - yep. you guessed it, it's back to the original standard setting for that line again.

It is very frustrating.

Is there any way around this problem, or is this something that you all struggle with too?

The only way I can see that I can prevent this, is to overwrite the original field settings each time I need to make changes, as then when I change lines, bowlers, pace etc, it will automatically default to the setting I want. I'd rather keep the defaults as they are, but saving my custom designs under new names is proving a waste of time.

Any help ideas and suggestions are very welcome.

Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinson View Post
                      Is there any way around this problem, or is this something that you all struggle with too?

The only way I can see that I can prevent this, is to overwrite the original field settings each time I need to make changes, as then when I change lines, bowlers, pace etc, it will automatically default to the setting I want. I'd rather keep the defaults as they are, but saving my custom designs under new names is proving a waste of time.
                      I don't think currently there exists a way to have the user-defined fields selected automatically. I'd really find it useful to have an option to attach certain custom fields to certain aggression levels so that we can switch between them simply by adjusting aggression levels.

Comment

I don't think currently there exists a way to have the user-defined fields selected automatically. I'd really find it useful to have an option to attach certain custom fields to certain aggression levels so that we can switch between them simply by adjusting aggression levels.

Ok, thanks for your reply.

That is a shame. Looks like I'll have to edit and overwrite the default pre-sets then, in order to set my fields the way I need as each game develops.

Comment

Does a short cover or short mid wicket work for any of you when you pitch the ball up?? I like how the game now has players miss hitting to point but I was wondering about miss hits elsewhere. I have seen many catches where the ball balloons up high but other than in the slip, gully short leg and point area there seem to be very few hard flat miss timed shots to short cover, square leg, short mid wicket etc etc

What do you think??

Comment

Originally posted by Cook's Buttler View Post
                            Does a short cover or short mid wicket work for any of you when you pitch the ball up?? I like how the game now has players miss hitting to point but I was wondering about miss hits elsewhere. I have seen many catches where the ball balloons up high but other than in the slip, gully short leg and point area there seem to be very few hard flat miss timed shots to short cover, square leg, short mid wicket etc etc

What do you think??
                            I've never yet seen a mistimed shot to short cover. It's something that I too feel is missing. In real life it's such a dangerous position for the drive. I've had occasional success with a gully and have seen mistimed shots to square leg but always when the fielder's not there.

Comment

Well there kind of is a way. I simply copied my user defined field files and saved over the top of the generic field settings and named them in the same format eg med-off1 etc. the game has no option but to use my settings now. If you take particular attention to which numbered field the game defaults to when selecting your bowling aggression then you can line them up to save yourself time in game.

Comment

I've never yet seen a mistimed shot to short cover. It's something that I too feel is missing. In real life it's such a dangerous position for the drive. I've had occasional success with a gully and have seen mistimed shots to square leg but always when the fielder's not there.
                                Good point, I've brought this up with Chris.

Improving the use of user fields is something I've been thinking about for a while, as I believe they are so important to the game and success. Improving the speed at which they work will only encourage people to use them.

Problem is, I've always struggled to come up with a solution that covers all bases:

1) At times I like the idea of automatically linking fields to certain times in the match, however, I think this could be awkward to set up, especially as short format matches do vary. Perhaps if we were to do this, it would make sense to put the option within the field editor, so the user can adjust it?

2) Maybe linking up fields to the keyboard, works great for PC/Mac, but excludes Mobile.

I'd love some direction from you guys on this, I think we can do more to make the fields easier to use.

Linking user fields to bowling aggression is interesting, perhaps could be implemented within the system in #1.

Comment

Working...
                                X