Player Stats:

Summary:

Nottinghamshire supporter and proud!

Comment

• T20 Stats:

Table:

Player Stats:

Summary:

Last edited by DaveK93; 08-23-2013, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• Contracts:
          First up, Chris Read has retired, so we will definitely be in the market for a quality keeper.

Out of the players that are in need of new contracts, the following receive them:
          A Hales
          R Burridge
          S Patel
          S Mullaney
          M Coles
          L Fletcher
          We also keep Wallis and Donald from the youth team.

The players that are leaving then are:
          R Wessels (Warwickshire)
          J Sayers (Glamorgan)
          W Porterfield (Yorkshire)
          J Follett
          M Bates
          V Hammett
          S Wood
          A Shahzad (Worcestershire)
          D Payne (Essex)
          J Fuller (Durham)

None of these players have impressed me enough to warrant a new contract, I wish them all the best. (Except against me of course!)

With a cool 318,500 to spend, we dip into the window.

At first glance, I notice 3 big names on the county circuit, and immediately make a beeline for them.Those three were:

Sam Northeast – Previously at Kent, a quality opener, who should add some depth to my batting

Geoffrey Friend – a 25yr old aggressive keeper previously at Surrey. He has been very consistent the last two seasons, and will be a straight replacement for Chris Read.

Philip March – The next big thing in English off spinners. Previously of Surrey, the 21 year old has a great track record, with 169 wickets @ 25.43 in 33 FC matches. He’ll be in the team for years to come, and eventually an England regular.

Following those initial acquisitions, we continued to scout the market for players that would improve the team.

We found two more key signings, both who will strengthen our bowling department:

Mitchell Shone - This guy has potential. He had a poor FC season last year as Derbyshire struggled in the league, but has a career average of 32, taking 89 wickets from 30 matches. The medium fast bowler is also fairly capable with the bat as well, and will probably be battling with Luke Fletcher for position.

Alex Wyatt – The former Leicestershire man has had 3 impressive seasons, and warrants a chance at the big time. Whilst I don’t expect him to break into the squad straight away, I would imagine he would get a chance as other bowlers go to join the England squad.

We did try and tempt George Dockrell to join us, but unfortunately we missed out. So instead we reinforced our keeping options, bringing in Mushfiqur Rahim, the Bangladesh keeper. He may not play every game, but is very capable with the bat, and will provide Friend with some competition until we can bring another keeper in.

So, that is our transfer business complete for another season! I’m pretty happy with my new arrivals, and I expect that we are in for a successful season this year.

Comment

• Season Preview:

A quick rundown of the County Championship Division 1 teams before the campaign starts.

Durham:

Previous Season: 1st in Division II
            Overseas: Durham keep Trent Boult as their main overseas, ably supported by Trent Copeland
            Main Man: Graham Onions – The evergreen seamer will be key to Durham’s survival hopes, and they will be relying on him heavily with the ball
            Rising Star: Kane Swann – He may be 25, but this could be his season, especially with a lack of batsmen available.
            At A Glance: Durham have a decent team at their disposal. I wouldn’t say that it was good enough to survive the harsh climate of Division I though
            Prediction: 9th

Essex:

Previous Season: 4th
            Overseas: Doug Bracewell is brought in, with Kulkarni to be used as a reserve
            Main Man: Alistair Cook – When available, the man is world class
            Rising Star: Reece Topley – highly thought of youngster, needs to prove why people rate him so highly
            At A Glance: Essex have a strong squad, and have improved it. The signing of Dockrell shows a sign of intent, and a bowling line up including Tremlett, Bracewell, Topley and Adil Rashid could be dangerous
            Prediction: 3rd

Gloucestershire:

Previous Season: 5th
            Overseas: Angelo Mathews is the main man, but Sohail Tanvir is a very capable reserve
            Main Man: Liam Norwell – The pace bowler has been devastating for Gloucs in the last 3 years, they’ll need him to perform again this year
            Rising Star: Gareth Roderick – Still young at 24, he could be a key player if he plays his cards right
            At A Glance: Gloucs have some good players, but not a whole team. I think they may struggle this season, and they will have to wait for another chance at a first Div I title. They should just about survive though if their key players perform
            Prediction: 7th

Middlesex

Previous Season: 2nd
            Overseas: Dale Steyn. In addition to a world class pace bowler, Junaid Khan is in as a reserve, with Rilee Roussouw and Nazmul Islam for the T20 campaign
            Main Man: James Harris – Still holding England aspirations, he is a mainstay of the Middlesex attack
            Rising Star: Ian Kerr – Averaging 30 after 4 games, if he gets a chance, he is capable of taking it
            At A Glance: Still a very good squad, and arguably stronger than last year. They have to be considered as real title contenders, but if they suffer issues with form, their lack of batting depth could cost them dearly. I should know!
            Prediction: 2nd

Northamptonshire:

Previous Season: 2nd in Div II
            Overseas: C Noyar as the main man, with Kane Williamson in reserve. Cameron White will join up with the squad for the T20s
            Main Man: David Willey – A consistent performer, they will need him to shine yet again
            Rising Star: Nicholas Stuart – the 21 year old has established himself as first choice keeper, now he needs to kick on.
            At A Glance: The squad is decent, but as with Gloucs, they will struggle. They have no real stand out players, and will be relying on overseas player Noyar to help them out. Their bowling attack does not look capable for this level though. Relegation on the cards.
            Prediction: 8th

Nottinghamshire:

Previous Season: 1st
            Overseas: Mushfiqur Rahim comes in to aid the clubs keeping options
            Main Man: James Taylor – A regular performer, Notts will be once again be looking to him to put together some big scores
            Rising Star: Philip March – The new signing from Surrey has the potential to be better than Graham Swann, and is more than capable of achieving it at Nottinghamshire
            At A Glance: A strong squad, Nottinghamshire have all the components of another title winning team. The additions of some younger elements will only serve to benefit the squad, and help to soften the blow of losing the England internationals, somewhere the club struggled last year. Like Middlesex though, a drop in batting form, and they will struggle. I expect Notts to shade it over Middlesex otherwise.
            Prediction: 1st

Somerset:

Previous Season: 3rd
            Overseas: Dean Elgar remains with the club, G Satish as reserve. Ali Khan will play the T20 campaign as well.
            Main Man: James Hildreth – The Somerset stalwart will need another good campaign in the heart of the batting line-up.
            Rising Star: Neil Hannon – On a contract of 105k, big things are expected of the 23 year old. Will be in and around the England set up this year.
            At A Glance: Somerset have a good squad, but haven’t made good enough additions to replace their departed players.Losing Dockrell to Essex, a positional rival, is a massive blow, and they will miss him. The lack of a good spinner will cost them a position this season
            Prediction: 4th

Surrey:

Previous Season: 7th
            Overseas: H Azam is the main overseas player, Watling will be the reserve. With Kolhi and McLaren as their T20 players, Surrey have been spending big money this season
            Main Man: M Carberry – The veteran opener will be key if Surrey are to improve on last years performance
            Rising Star: Chris Aitkenhead – The youth (whose name sounds like an insult from a 5 year old) got 260 against the title winners last season, and could be destined for great things
            At A Glance: Surrey have spent big, but whether they will get the results is a different matter. They certainly haven’t got a squad capable of challenging for the title this season. With some of their brighter prospects leaving during the close season, or now playing for England, there could be big parts of the season that Surrey struggle in.
            Prediction: 6th

Warwickshire
            Previous Season: 6th
            Overseas: None
            Main Man: Ian Bell – When available, he will be key to Warwickshire’s survival hopes
            Rising Star: Tim Orton – Now at the age of 25, he has started to establish himself in the line-up. His last two seasons have been good and useful when the England guys are unavailable. Can he do it a third time around?
            At A Glance: A capable squad, but whether they are able to make an impression on the league this season remains unclear. If they get a good start before the internationals, they could be a challenger. If they don’t, the alternative doesn’t bear thinking about.
            Prediction: 5th
            Last edited by DaveK93; 08-23-2013, 07:40 PM.

Comment

• Nice job on winning the county championship again and with those new acquisitions i'm sure you'll be able to win this year too!

Comment

• Thanks mate, hopefully I'll do it without a soul-crushing loss of form as well!

Comment

• Great job again. Just wondering though, why did you not get a reserve player?

Comment

• Originally posted by KGKOOLKAT777 View Post
                    Great job again. Just wondering though, why did you not get a reserve player?
                    Lack of finances in the end. I decided to try and secure as many of the new English talents as possible, and I ended up running out. Not too worried at the moment though, I should be alright without this season.

I've never really been one for overseas players either, I quite like to have a young, home grown team. Most of the time I find them to be cheaper.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaveK93 View Post
                      Lack of finances in the end. I decided to try and secure as many of the new English talents as possible, and I ended up running out. Not too worried at the moment though, I should be alright without this season.

I've never really been one for overseas players either, I quite like to have a young, home grown team. Most of the time I find them to be cheaper.
                      *coughs* reserve players are free up to the value of your main overseas.

I like your preview and contracts sections though... no idea why...

Comment

• Originally posted by Imager36 View Post
                        *coughs* reserve players are free up to the value of your main overseas.

I like your preview and contracts sections though... no idea why...
                        Ooops.... We'll just gloss over that and pretend it never happened...

It's the strangest thing isn't it?

Comment

• Friendlies:

Nottinghamshire vs MCC

Squad News:

So our first team of the season looks something like this. And with Hollins and Rahim at the IPL, it looks even better when they return

Toss:
                          MCC win the toss and bat first

Points of Interest:
                          - Considering Broad as the all-rounder this year when available, allowing us to select an extra bowler
                          - Burridge appears to be more comfortable at 6 in the FC game
                          - Encouraging starts for March and Shone
                          - Possibly combine Shone and Jefferson as a new ball pairing
                          - Taylor seems to have continued his good form

Nottinghamshire vs Oxford UCCE

Squad News:

Changes all round as we try and ensure people can find some form

Toss:
                          Oxford UCCE win the toss and bat first

Points of Interest:
                          - Wyatt is showing signs of what he is capable of, but he will need time.
                          - Burridge will be at 6 for the foreseeable future
                          - Broad at 7 seems to work, he’ll start there of Patel for now
                          - Friend appears to be in decent form thankfully
                          - Jefferson will lead the line this year, he’s becoming a very good bowler
                          - Shone and Jefferson as a new ball pairing could work, I’m still not convinced yet

Comment

• Nottinghamshire vs Durham

Squad News:

First game of the season sees us bring in Matt Coles and Shiv Thakor. James Fuller makes his Durham debut against his former team.

Toss:
                            Durham win the toss and elect to bat. An interesting decision given the poor conditions, and the fact that the pitch is rather conducive to seam bowling.

Day 1:
                            Durham possibly made the right decision as they got to 345-8. Swann was their main tool of destruction, getting a century. Our bowlers did all pick up wickets, so I’m not too concerned, but we need to finish the innings quickly.

Day 2:
                            We were lucky to get to 303, and we owe a lot to James Taylor. His 160 was a great performance, and I was right in saying he’d be our key man for the season. We could do with the other batsmen joining in though, we can’t afford to play like we did at the end of last season.

Day 3:
                            A much improved bowling performance saw us dismiss Durham for 246. Shone was a bright light for us here, as he got a 5fer, ably assisted by Jefferson and March. It means we have a total we can chase, which we started before the close. We finished on 44-1, losing Hales, but we can still win this.

Day 4:
                            A disciplined batting display saw us claim our first victory of the season. Northeast and Taylor impressed at the top of the order, and other contributions were vital as we claimed 22 points. A good way to start the season.

Batting Award:
                            James Taylor – A superb century which kept us in the match

Bowling Award:
                            Mitchell Shone – His 5fer in the 2nd Innings put is in a great position

Comment

• Nottinghamshire vs Warwickshire

Squad News:

We face our ex-player Riki Wessels in this match. More pressing is that Shiv Thakor is out injured for 4 weeks, so with that in mind, we bring Samit Patel into the team. As that gave us an extra spinner in the team, we decided to prepare a turning pitch.Therefore, Matt Coles also misses out in this one, as Simon Kerrigan is given a chance to show why I should continue to employ him.

Toss:
                              Warwickshire win the toss and choose to bat

Day 1:
                              Warwickshire only made it to 246-9, as our spinners choked the runs out of the innings. Mitchell Shone made the first impact, taking 2 early wickets, then March and Kerrigan took over. They bowled over 40 overs in tandem, keeping the scoring low. They also got regular wickets. Shafayat provided some stern resistance, but the new ball did for him, as Jefferson and Shone had a good impact. With only one wicket left to acquire, we are definitely on top at this stage.

Day 2:
                              Day 2 did not go to plan as it took half a day to get the last Warwicks wicket. We eventually removed Metters, and got on with batting. Or that was the plan. We narrowly avoided the follow on after some class batting from Friend and Shone, after the main batsmen had failed earlier on in the day. This pitch definitely favours the bowlers.

Day 3:
                              We owe a lot to Friend and Shone, who put together a magnificent partnership. They pushed us to with 13 of Warwicks, and really set the game up. Warwicks started well, and after three quick wickets, caused us problems. The spinners calmed things down though, and March and Kerrigan worked well together to slow the scoring. They even got a couple of wickets as the score was 154-6 at the close.

Day 4:
                              We dismissed Warwicks for 216, after some fine bowling in the morning session. March and Kerrigan were again key, Kerrigan especially. He is definitely showing signs of improvement. We were left to chase a total of 230 in 2 sessions. Hopefully light won’t stop play just before we win!

We just about made it, as we lost wickets regularly. No bad light stopping play, this went the distance. Hales and Patel both provided solid contributions, and other quick runs meant that there was no pressure on March and Shone, who got the winning runs in the penultimate over. Two wins in a row now, we just need to work on our batting a bit, and this will be a very good season.

Batting Award:
                              G Friend – His mammoth century turned the match on its head

Bowling Award:
                              Simon Kerrigan - Took his chance, and took it well

Comment

• Middlesex vs Nottinghamshire

Squad News:

I keep faith with the same team that played against Warwickshire. There may be a lack of turn, but my spinners should be more than capable.

Toss:
                                Nottinghamshire won the toss and elect to bowl first in poor conditions.

Day 1:
                                We started promisingly, and Middlesex were 79-5 at lunch. However, the conditions turned against us and up stepped Malan. His double century led Middlesex to safety at 379-7, and we still have work to do.

Day 2:
                                Malan and Murtagh continued to cause problems, and we eventually dismissed them for 491. It was then our turn, and I was apprehensive after recent batting woes. We did lose 3 wickets, but Taylor and Friend rebuilt, and got us to 239-3 at the close.

Day 3:
                                We made it to 426-6 at the close, March and Burridge both with half centuries at the close. Earlier, Northeast and Friend had both batted well, and got us into a good position. Rain wiped out the last session though, and a draw looks imminent.

Day 4:
                                A fairly hectic day saw us nearly lose the match. After falling for 453, Warwicks set about getting a decent enough lead to declare. When they eventually did, we gave it a good go, but after being 71-4, we held back. The conditions turned on us, and we started to struggle, but we just about scraped the draw.

Batting Award:
                                Sam Northeast – Continues his impressive form with a great century

Bowling Award:
                                Simon Kerrigan – Most wickets in the first innings, and is now starting to slot in well ahead of the aging Graeme Swann

Comment

Working...
                                X