No announcement yet.

Kent under GrahamB (v12.24)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NORTHAMPTONSHIRE v KENT (Challenge Trophy 2013)

We expected the toss to be crucial in this one and were disappointed to lose it.
    Put into bat under very cloudy conditions on a fairly slow outfield, we did well to score 221/6, largely thanks to a record third wicket partnership between Cole and Blake.
    Then unlike the previous match, we claimed a couple of early wickets and just kept the pressure on the batsmen. Even then, it was closer than the final scoresheet suggests, as the home side kept good pace with the required run rate the whole way through.

Even stevens (excuse the pun!).

Comment

• Back to our home ground for a County Championship match v Gloucestershire.

We resisted the urge to make any changes to our first choice playing eleven.

Naylor is having a poor season so far, but Sam Northeast hasn't been producing in the second team.

Powell and Procter are also in danger of losing their spot, with Blake biding his time in the wings if one or the other continues to underachieve.

Ambrose has been disappointing with the bat too. Already I'm wondering if I should have signed Niall O'Brien instead of him.
      Geraint Jones could get the call up soon.

Andy Carter needs to take more wickets if he's to remain in the side.
      Ben Kemp has been the standout bowler in the reserves, but he's still a tad too expensive for my liking. He is receiving accuracy technique training meantime.

Comment

• KENT v GLOUCESTERSHIRE (County Championship D2 2013)

Rob Key anchored our first innings with a tremendous innings of 190.
        There were useful contributions too from Cole (48), Powell (71) and Ambrose (68no) as we clocked up 506/6 before declaring just after tea on Day Two.

After Murtagh captured the wicket of the in-form Chris Dent early, we were thwarted for a time by Hamish Marshall (52), Ed Young (81) and Jackson Thompson (41).
        However, once those three were all gone at 205/5, the innings crumbled away, as Dan Housego (32no) got no support from the tail.
        Gloucestershire were all out for 258, with Matthew (3/69), Murtagh (4/85) and Carter (3/43) doing the damage.

This time, we enforced the follow on.
        Murtagh and Matthew both claimed an early wicket to have the visitors 30/2.
        Dent (48) and Thompson (40) steadied the ship with a fighting partnership, but once Dent fell at 102/3, three more wickets quickly fell and at 115/6, it was really just a matter of time.
        Michael Lowe (52) tried to hold things together and this time the tail wagged in support with Coughtrie (28) and Green (37) helping Gloucestershire to get back in credit.
        We finally dismissed them again for 263, meaning that we only had to chase down 18 runs for victory.
        Matthew (3/67) and Murtagh (4/78) were this time joined by Tredwell (3/64) in the wicket haul.

Key and Naylor polished off the necessary runs before tea on the final day as we completed our second County Championship victory of the season so far.

Still a big challenge ahead if we're going to challenge for promotion though.

Comment

• Next up is a visit to Warwickshire for our third Challenge Trophy match.

Powell comes in for Stevens, as we intend using Procter as our fifth bowler, possibly with some overs from Naylor too.
          Adam Ball retains his spot ahead of Carter, and Tredwell has been included due to the pitch being expected to favour spin.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrahamB View Post
            KENT v GLOUCESTERSHIRE (County Championship D2 2013)

Rob Key anchored our first innings with a tremendous innings of 190.
            There were useful contributions too from Cole (48), Powell (71) and Ambrose (68no) as we clocked up 506/6 before declaring just after tea on Day Two.

After Murtagh captured the wicket of the in-form Chris Dent early, we were thwarted for a time by Hamish Marshall (52), Ed Young (81) and Jackson Thompson (41).
            However, once those three were all gone at 205/5, the innings crumbled away, as Dan Housego (32no) got no support from the tail.
            Gloucestershire were all out for 258, with Matthew (3/69), Murtagh (4/85) and Carter (3/43) doing the damage.

This time, we enforced the follow on.
            Murtagh and Matthew both claimed an early wicket to have the visitors 30/2.
            Dent (48) and Thompson (40) steadied the ship with a fighting partnership, but once Dent fell at 102/3, three more wickets quickly fell and at 115/6, it was really just a matter of time.
            Michael Lowe (52) tried to hold things together and this time the tail wagged in support with Coughtrie (28) and Green (37) helping Gloucestershire to get back in credit.
            We finally dismissed them again for 263, meaning that we only had to chase down 18 runs for victory.
            Matthew (3/67) and Murtagh (4/78) were this time joined by Tredwell (3/64) in the wicket haul.

Key and Naylor polished off the necessary runs before tea on the final day as we completed our second County Championship victory of the season so far.

Still a big challenge ahead if we're going to challenge for promotion though.

After 6 games you already have more wins than last season. I am enjoying following your game.

Comment

• Originally posted by KGKOOLKAT777 View Post
              After 6 games you already have more wins than last season. I am enjoying following your game.
              Thanks for taking an interest.

Comment

• WARWICKSHIRE v KENT (Challenge Trophy 2013)

Not quite enough runs.
                It was a difficult pitch to bat on and the team batting second always seemed likely to have the advantage.

Naylor showed a return to form with a sparkling 52 for us, but nobody else was able to contribute substantially.
                As we tried to up the run rate later in our innings, we lost wickets, so in the end we did well to reach 187 in the final over.

Laurie Evans proved to be the difference between the two sides on the day. His controlled knock of 69 off 72 balls set up the successful run chase, which was achieved with six balls to spare.

Grrr! Back to the drawing board!

Comment

• The upcoming County Championship match at Leicestershire promises to be a tough challenge.

Rob Key hasn't passed a fitness test and has to take an enforced rest. Sam Northeast comes in to partner Naylor at the top of the order, while Powell takes over the captain's armband.
                  Alex Blake gets a start in place of Erik Bennett in the other change to the batting line up.

Because the pitch is looking likely to take sharp turn fairly early, we're taking both of our spinners into the match. This means a rare first team appearance for young Adam Riley.
                  Mervin Matthew and Tim Murtagh will be backed up by Procter in the pace department.

Comment

• Good luck!

Comment

• First Imagers then your's thread so many views you both have created attention to their story ..

Keep it up ....
                      After Historical Retired Players Stats ,Captains Record
                      Is my Next Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutz View Post
                        Good luck!
                        Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by cricfan1 View Post
                          First Imagers then your's thread so many views you both have created attention to their story ..

Keep it up ....
                          Glad that some are enjoying following my Kent adventures.

Comment

• Originally posted by cricfan1 View Post
                            First Imagers then your's thread so many views you both have created attention to their story ..

Keep it up ....
                            And he did the New Zealand story with billions of views beforehand as well... Graham's a machine.

In my Kent news, my first season ended terribly, and a cull of young and old rubbish has allowed the signings of Phil Jacques, Ross Whitely, Graham Napier, Liam Plunkett, Jamie Overton and marquee overseas man Chris Gayle, with Shehzad as backup.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imager36 View Post
                              In my Kent news, my first season ended terribly, and a cull of young and old rubbish has allowed the signings of Phil Jacques, Ross Whitely, Graham Napier, Liam Plunkett, Jamie Overton and marquee overseas man Chris Gayle, with Shehzad as backup.
                              Some good signings there. Whitely and Overton should go well.
                              Damn- I wish I'd picked up Whitely - forgot about the limit of three offers per round and then missed out.
                              As for Gayle, he's a monster!

Reckon your second season should go quite well and looking forward to hearing about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imager36 View Post
                                And he did the New Zealand story with billions of views beforehand as well... Graham's a machine.
                                And you're not?

Out of all the stories both of yours seem the most enjoyable to follow!

Comment

Working...
                                X