13 Years Coaching Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 Years Coaching Australia

Coached Australia for 13 years and finished with this test XI.

1. Phil Hughes Tests:156. runs: 13709 HS:261 avg:49.85. 100s:41
    2. Nic Maddinson Tests:127. HS:454* Runs:9404 Avg:44.36 100s:20
    3. Matt Dearman Tests:100 HS:342 Runs:9612 Avg:58.25. 100s:30
    4. Chris Lynn Tests:124 HS:244 Runs:10318 Avg:51.08 100s:25
    5. Usman Khawaja Tests:91 HS:212 Runs:5869 Avg:41:33 100s:10
    6. Jim Hawkins Tests:32 HS:119 Runs:1984 Avg:40.68 100s:4
    7. Joseph Ash Tests:37 HS:126 Runs:2158 Avg:40.72 100s:5
    8. James Faulkner Tests:104 Runs:4960 Avg:33.74 100s:5 (W:416)
    9. Barry Snow Tests:25 W:131 Avg:24.91 5i:6. (LS)
    10.Andrew Hughes Tests:114 W:607 Avg:25.44 5i:38 (LS)
    11. Trent Copeland Tests:135 W:678 Avg:23:76

Wow, so Trent Copeland turns out a gun! Ive used him on and off in tests without much success honestly.

And Phil Hughes?! He turns out very decent for you! He is crap for me, never cements a spot in the team. (Im in 2014.. on the iPhone)

Comment

WOW Copeland??? Im in the first season as i play quite slowly (and by the way Hughes is going great,tho not as much as Katich lol who has hit 5 x 100s in 6 tests, including 287 & 235*)

But Im just about to drop Copeland, after 4 tests for me he has 6wkts @ 60+, although his economy is around 2.5 he just cant seem to take wickets. I was beginning to think that only aggressive/expensive bowlers (coulter-nile, johnson etc) were really succesful in tests?

PS - How did D Warner, P Nevill, P George & J Hastings go in the 13 years?

Comment

@Hooper. Phil Hughes averaged 62 at one stage but had a bit of a form slump towards the end.

@pearljammonkey. You have to stick with copeland for a few years then he really clicks.
        Dave Warner was jut a replacement player for me but did score a couple of hundreds.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattyboy386 View Post
          @Hooper. Phil Hughes averaged 62 at one stage but had a bit of a form slump towards the end.

@pearljammonkey. You have to stick with copeland for a few years then he really clicks.
          Dave Warner was jut a replacement player for me but did score a couple of hundreds.

Hmmm... ok.

Im trying to find my bowling lineup. I've decided to pick the 17yo Pat Cummins and place him on technique training long term. See what I can do.

Are any of them bowlers you have, spinners? You need a good spinner in ICC but I cant find one. I've tried Nathan Lyon but pfft... No good for me.

Comment

I have coached Australia for about the same time, about to play the 2024 ODI WC.

I have maintained number one ranking in both Test and ODI formats for most of the time. Mainly of the back of an amazing batting line-up and thus losing very few games. Although I have drawn a few, recently winning the Ashes 1-0 and have struggled to find a good first-change pace bowler and have thus used two leggies for the past few seasons.

Recently dropped Hughes after a few dire seasons, currently has stats of (141, 13065, 55.36, 38)

My current test team (name, tests, runs, average, 100's or tests, wickets, average, 5's):

1. Maddinson 84, 8090, 56.97, 23
            2. Winwood 3, 434, 72.33, 2
            3. Timms (c) 122, 11737, 62.43, 39
            4. Atkin 19, 1878, 69.56, 9
            5. Underwood 69, 6068, 60.68, 17
            6. Tully 61, 5059, 57.49, 14
            7. Lynn (wk) 103, 5986, 49.07, 12
            8. Hales (LS) 20, 119, 24.09, 11
            9. Duffield (LFM) 122, 616, 30.4, 36
            10. Yau (RF) 84, 372, 34.2, 17
            11. Brady (LS) 53, 206, 29.4, 12

Comment

Lynn is a part-time keeper - lol i often use him to break partnerships with his spin! - do you find that he lets through more byes/drops more catches?

Comment

Originally posted by pearljammonkey View Post
                Lynn is a part-time keeper - lol i often use him to break partnerships with his spin! - do you find that he lets through more byes/drops more catches?
                Yes he isn't the best keeper, and does drop a few more catches per series, I have used both Wade and Nevill. However, Lynn's batting process fits my overall Test match strategy of aiming not to lose each test, and win every series.

Comment

I'm losing it.. Does anyone ever have any success in this game? I swear I never can win tests.

Opposition can chase anything in the 4th innings, even if I set 400 to get mid day 4 they can slog and get it with only losing 2 or 3 wickets. Its a joke.

Im starting to get over ICC011, feelin like I can't win no matter what!

Comment

Originally posted by Hooper View Post
                    I'm losing it.. Does anyone ever have any success in this game? I swear I never can win tests.

Opposition can chase anything in the 4th innings, even if I set 400 to get mid day 4 they can slog and get it with only losing 2 or 3 wickets. Its a joke.

Im starting to get over ICC011, feelin like I can't win no matter what!
                    It's not all bad, i'm am winning tests with West India. Currently ranked 3de in Tests.

Comment

Originally posted by Blade007 View Post
                      It's not all bad, i'm am winning tests with West India. Currently ranked 3de in Tests.
                      West Indies you mean? What?? How! Surely theres something I'm doing seriously wrong... Im picking sides in good form, experience bla bla bla and they just cant get me a test win!

Comment

Originally posted by Hooper View Post
                        West Indies you mean?
                        yes that.

What is your teams problem, batting or bowling?

Comment

Batting isn't too bad. I've worked out Khawaja is no good for me, Warner is average.

So i've gone with picking these type of batsman for tests:

Hughes
                          Jaques
                          Rogers
                          Ponting
                          Clarke
                          Watson
                          Wade (WK)

That's my test top 7. They're performing pretty well for the moment. Pretty old side though isnt it... But thats whos in form so I'm rolling with them.

Bowling wise, Siddle is my go to man, Watson is probably my second best option. I've tried Cummins, Pattinson, Feldman, Hilfenhaus and Johnson. All are crumbs, none take wickets. Tried Coulter-Nile but didn't have the patience.

Nathan Lyon, useless, Hauritz, useless, Steven Smith, useless. O'Keefe seems to be the best spinner to pick from but he isn't really a wicket taker for me.

My teams problems lie in taking 20 wickets a test. Simply can't get the job done!

Comment

yes i have no trouble with batting. Katich has now hit over 1,500 runs in 9 tests in the 1st season at an avg of 94!

Hughes, Watson, Haddin, Hussey all performing with the bat too. Other guns are Pomersbach, Cosgrove, Lynn. S Marsh, and Warner are also solid. I've avoided Rogers, D Hussey, Jaques simply because of age as i already have Katich (36), M Hussey (36), Ponting (37) & Haddin (34)

you are right, O'keefe is the best spin option and even then in tests he is only a wicket or 2 per innings type bowler (I bat him at number 6 as my top order are so strong - his batting is good enough). This gives the chance to use 4 quicks (as well as Watson!). Really have to wait a few years for a good re-gen spin bowler.

Try - Siddle (clearly the best)
                            Johnson, Bollinger, Duffield (best young quick), Harris (esp ODIs), Coulter-Nile, McKay, Cutting, Copeland (will be the next Siddle with some time - stats earlier in this thread prove this). Johnson, Cutting & Harris are the shaky ones for me - too expensive. Watson hasnt really performed well outside of one-dayers for me but he is obviously rated highly as the AI often give him the new ball.
                            Last edited by pearljammonkey; 12-22-2011, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X