The English Cricketing Empire - A Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My next 2 games will be brief.

First up was a one-day friendly against the Irish. We totalled 301/7 in our 50 overs thanks to a century from Davies. We then bowled them out for 105. The best bit was when I threw the ball to Trott and he took 3 wickets in one over!

Next was a single T20 against the Indians. After making a decent 156 thanks to Pietersen's score of 74 we were hammered by their batting and lost by 8 wickets. Sehwag hitting 80*.

Next up is five ODIs against the Indians to round off the season.

Comment

Here we go then, the first of five ODIs and dear God I am terrified of their batting lineup! There are no rating points to be gained here, they have to be defended. Yardy just gets in ahead of Bresnan.

I win the toss and bat.

England Innings

280 I reckon is the score we need. An opening stand of 58 was eventually broken when Davies went for 26. KP went for a second ball duck and then a magnificent stand of 83 between Kieswetter and Bell put us in control - Kieswetter went for 86. Collingwood, Morgan and Yardy made a combined total of 10 between them and we were suddenly in trouble. Swann hit a quick 49 off of 42 balls to assist Bell who went from strength to strength. Bell finished 123* from 117 balls. It was this that allowed us to post a massive total of 328/9.

India Innings

The key is to get Sehwag out early. India batted like it was a T20 game. We got Sehwag and Gambhir early but it turned out they wern't the problem. Laxman hit 60, Pathan 77 and Dhoni got an almost unreal pace to his 81. At least it felt like it. India won by 3 wickets.

Comment

With help for the seamers im surpised you picked 2 spinners!

Comment

I show faith and go with an unchanged line up.

I win the toss and bat first.

England Innings

A gutless, heartless, tired batting display. Truly inept. Kieswetter and Davies laid the platform and at 123/3 we could have had something. Instead we were bowled out for 155.

India Innings

They again batted like it was a T20 Game. They made the target with 27 overs to go and 9 wickets remaining.

2-0 down, 3 to play.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDevil666 View Post
            I show faith and go with an unchanged line up.

I win the toss and bat first.

England Innings

A gutless, heartless, tired batting display. Truly inept. Kieswetter and Davies laid the platform and at 123/3 we could have had something. Instead we were bowled out for 155.

India Innings

They again batted like it was a T20 Game. They made the target with 27 overs to go and 9 wickets remaining.

2-0 down, 3 to play.
            Oh u have reached oneday series,its still test going on.

Comment

We now need to win all 3 of the remaining ODIs to win the series and against the World Champions that could be classed as Mission Impossible. One change is made, Luke Wright in for Michael Yardy.

I win the toss and field first.

India Innings

You wanna tear your hair out at bowling performances like this one. Our seamers bowled brilliantly at the start and we had India on the ropes - 69/4. We just couldn't finish them off. Sehwag, Dhoni and Pathan led the counter-attack. Sehwag made a stupendous hundred, Pathan made 80* and India finished 280/6.

England Innings

The chase was never really on. We stayed ahead of the required run rate but kept losing wickets along the way. Ian Bell top scored with 55 as we lost by 109 runs.

In the 4th ODI we lost by 13 runs and in the 5th we managed a consolation victory by 5 wickets.

Next up is a tour to India.
              Last edited by TheDevil666; 08-08-2011, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Next up then are the 3 Tests against the Indians. This is probably the hardest place to go in the World. Here are the 18 men entrusted with this task.

First up we played a Tour Game against a First-Class Indian Team called Karantaka. We beat them easily over 3 days chasing down our target of 25 to win by 10 wickets.

Comment

I've opted to go down the 2 spinners route so that means places for Swann and Tredwell. Anderson and Tremlett are the seamers. Kieswetter and Prior both get a spot.

I win the toss and bat.

Day One

Cook could only muster 8 on the opening morning of the series before he edged behind. Capt'n Strauss and Trott dug in well to leave us 73/1 at the first interval of the session.

It was a real fight in the afternoon session for supremacy and Singh took the only 2 wickets of the session - Trott for 40 and Strauss for 59. Pietersen pushed up the scoring rate and we were 163/3 at tea.

India tore right into us in the evening and we were in real trouble - 227/6, Ojha with 2 wickets.

Day Two

Matthew Prior revived our hopes in this Test Match by taking his score up to 82* as we pushed on to 306/7 at lunch with a thread of hope still there.

We were bowled out for 368, Prior making 121 - very valuable runs. Singh was the main destroyer with 4 wickets so Swanny must be licking his lips!

India battled to 104/2 at the close a very late wicket by Tredwell helping us massively. Quick wickets are needed in the morning.

Day Three

We were powerless (again) to stop the Indians pounding our bowling. Tendulkar, Laxman and Vijay all piled on fifties, 231/3.

Tendulkar made that into a hundred, 312/4 at tea and we were looking terrible.

Tendulkar moved to 158* at stumps> Dravid and Dhoni assisted with fifties of their own. 453/5 at stumps.

Day Four

The decleration came at 507/5 with Tendulkar on 181*. The lead was 139 runs. Cook was out for another cheap score (20) but Trott and Strauss dug in to put us 69/1 at lunch. 5 sessions to survive.

Strauss couldn't convert his good start and was out for 31. Trott could and moved onwards past 50 while backed up by KP. We moved into a slender lead at tea, 141/2 and 4 sessions left.

KP was out for 54 and Ian Bell was out pretty cheaply. Never the less, Trott powered on to the 80s and the score was 204/4 at stumps. It's hang in there time!

Day Five

A disaster followed as Trott was out to the second ball of the day for 82! Kieswetter and Prior dug deep and didn't come unstuck during a difficult morning session. 278/5 at lunch - a lead 139.

We were bowled out for 379 - Kieswetter making a match-drawing 88 . This gave India 241 to win in one session.

This was never going to be done and the game closed out for a draw with India 48/1.

0-0, 2 to play.

Comment

2nd Test and we can really steal a march with a victory here. Bresnan and Onions come in, Tremlett and Bell make way.

We lose the toss and are stuck in the field. Bitter Blow.

Day One

Maybe it wasn't. An outstanding session of cricket for us! Onions marked his return to the Test Arena with 2 valuable wickets - Gambhir and Sehwag. Swann and Tredwell got stuck into the middle order - 118/5 at lunch.

Vijay hit an important fifty as India fought back to 210/7 at tea.

Real frustration. We coulodn't polish the Indians off, Vijay coverted his score to a hundred - 291/8 at stumps.

Day Two

Thank god we finished them early. 302 all out, Onions with 4 and Swann with 3 wickets. Our openers batted well to get us 60/0 at lunch.

They duly turned that stand into a century one. But they both fell in quick succession - Strauss 77 and Cook 33. 135/2 at tea, Singh with both wickets.

Pietersen was out cheaply and I immediately feared the worst. I needn't have done Kieswetter and Trott compling a good stand to steer us to 220/3 at stumps, Trott on 50*.

Day Three

And what a fine morning it was. Kieswetter and Trott dominated the Indian bowling while both moving into the 90s. They added 105 runs in that session for no loss - 325/3 and we were now in the lead.

And while it was nervy for a moment both batsmen brought up their tons. This was Kieswetter's first Test Match Ton so a great moment for him. But then India roared back into the game. We lost 5 wickets for 50 runs and limped to 411/8 at the interval. Still on top but not in a position of extreme dominance.

We were bowled out for 421, a lead of 119. It could have been much more. Worrying signs as India batted effortlessly to 59/0 at the close.

Day Four

This is a big day, not just for the match but the series. Only 2 wickets were had in the 1st session as India raced to 191/2.

That quickly became 291/3 at tea despite Sehwag being out for 96. We really can't halt the Indian run machine!

This time I merely seeked to slow down the run flow and it worked to an extent. 383/4, Sachin out shortly after his hundred. When will they declare?

Day Five

They declared on 412/9 an hour into the first session. Bresnan took all five wickets in that session as he made a stirring comeback - too little too late though. 312 to win. 45/1 at lunch, Cook the man out.

I decided to go for it. Strauss made it to 98* at tea while Trott made a good 56 before he was caught. Pietersen was out cheaply, which hurt and the score was 179/3 - 134 needed off the last session.

Strauss really put his foot down and Prior (KW out cheaply) stuck with him. With an hour left we needed 60 to win with 6 wickets remaining. One last sprint to the finish! Strauss really showed his authority as he smashed 2 consecutive 4s followed by a big six against Singh. Prior crossed 50, Strauss flew past 150 and England charged past 300. With 25 minutes to go we had won! A great day and a great win for England!

A real team win. Swann and Onions bowled very well in the first innings. Then Trott and KW hit centuries to set it up. Our bowling then let us down but Bresnan had a five-for in a roaring comeback. A superb Captain's knock by Strauss then saw us home, 173* off 181 balls, 14 4s and 4 6s. Incredible! Revenge for Chennai!
                    Last edited by TheDevil666; 08-10-2011, 12:26 PM.

Comment

A draw or a win in this 3rd and final Test and we will have won the series. A Test Series in India which I don't believe has been done before. This is history in the making! We name an unchanged side.

I lose the toss and bowl first - advantage India.

Day One

Swann and Onions each picked up a wicket in a decent session for us. 92/2 and Laxman out for a duck suggested the game was even after the first session.

But then the game switched completely in our favour. Onions got Tendulkar out while Swann bowled Sehwag on 78. Anderson added another and it was 184/5 at tea, it was important we finished them off in the next session.

And we did. Bresnan removed the last 2 recognised batsman, 'the wall' and Dhoni. We then cleaned up India for 261 all out and on a flat deck that is vital. Hoever, Strauss edged behind before stumps and at the close we were 20/1. The plan is to make 400+.

Day Two

Chawla put the brakes on our charge to victory. He took 3/19 in the morning incuding the vital wicket of Trott for 52. This meant we were 108/4 at lunch.

It was up to a battling 60* by Kieswetter to keep us in the hunt as Khan tore through our middle order. 200/6 at tea - the pitch starting to turn massively.

Kieswetter turned that into a century but again couldn't make it a big one as he was bowled on 107. Bresnan was also out, LBW on 40. 277/8 at stumps. It will be difficult to bat last.

Day Three

We were polished off for 291 - a small lead of 29. 2 good wickets by Jimmy A reduced India to 51/2 at lunch. Game well and truly on.

Onions then took the prized wicket of Tendulkar first over after lunch! He then added Laxman and Vijay to his collection in a truly awesome spell. 2 dropped catches later and it was 129/5 and these wickets are needed quickly. 200+ will be difficult to chase.

We could only pick up the wicket of Dhoni in the evening session. 'The Wall' made a brilliant score and took their lead up to 181 with 6 wickets down.

Day Four

Dravid made it to 100 and Chawla to 50 as India remained unbeaten through the morning. Have we thrown the series away?

Have the Gods conspired against me? No less than 4 dropped atches in this session as the lead goes over 300. Chawla bringing up his Test Ton!

India set us 407 to win. We lost Cook before th day was out, 1/1 at stumps.

Day Five

This is it. Keep those wickets intact to the close and we will have won a series in India. The glory, the fame! Trott was defensive and he saw out the session. But our captain, our leader fell. Still that was the only problem of the session. 2 down, 2 sessions to close out. That's approx 65 overs.

Trott made it to 62 before he was trapped LBW. Pietersen also completed his milestone and we saw out the session 3 down. Just 1 session left.

And we saw it out! Prior completed his fifty in the nick of time as we finished 5 down. A Test Series win in India, it doesn't get better than that!
                      Last edited by TheDevil666; 08-11-2011, 11:51 AM.

Comment

After that Test Series Victory it's on to a 5 match ODI Series against the World No 1 and World Champions India. Here is the 15 man Squad:

Let's move straight onto the first ODI - here are the teams. Trott comes in at no.3

I win the toss and bowl first.

India Innings

Bresnan justified his selection almost immediately - he bowled Sehwag for just 8. A lengthy partnership between Gambhir and Kohli put us on the back foot before Swann removed Gambhir. It got better as Tendulkar was out cheaply followed by Kohli for 61. At 153/5 it looked like we could get them out cheaply but it wasn't to be. They fought to the very end and amassed 250/8.

England Innings

We had a good opening partnership but never really got going after that. 59/3 was the score and we stagnated, couldn't up the RR. As we tried to force it the situation became worse. 127/7 was the score when a good partnership between Trott (77) and Swann (44*) took us close - bowled out for 212. We were rubbish.

1-0 down, 4 to play. If the bowling and batting improves we may have a chance.

Comment

I play with an unchanged XI as I try and level the series.

I win the toss and bat first, 280+ is essential.

England Innings

But we failed. Badly. Terribly. Zaheer Khan tore through us with 4 wickets and at one stage we were 61/6. A brief cameo from messers Bopara and Yardy propelled us to 159 all out. Woeful.

India Innings

India wrapped it up in 27.3 overs with 2 down. Gambhir made a lightning 94*.

2-0 Down, 3 to play. No way back surely.

Comment

So to summarise then, we're 2-0 down in a 5 match series against the World's Best Side while in their backyard. Not looking good. I keep the faith and retain an unchanged XI.

Pic

I win the toss and bat, PLEASE BE BETTER THAN LAST TIME!

England Innings

Well Kieswetter and Davies lashed the bowling - 60/0 after 9 overs = a brillian start! The 100 partnership came up after 17 overs. 1 run later Kieswetter was out and it was 101/1. We then collapsed to 160/5. Batting is becoming a real concern in this format. Davies made a Century which is tremendous and it was this and Bresnan's 62 which allowed us to post 280/8 which is defendable.

India Innings

On a flat deck in India though that was nothing to these Batsmen. At 99/4 we had a sniff but world-class knocks from Dhoni and Tendulkar saw them home by 4 wickets.

I will now quiclky round off the rest of the tour. We lost the ODI Series 5-0 and the T20 Series 2-0 meaning we had a sole victory in the Tests to take home. But isn't that the bigger prize?

Up next - A Tour Of Pakistan (I'm sick of playing the sub-continent teams!!)

Comment

Here is my 18 man Test Squad for the 3 Tests away to Pakistan. I'm hoping I can build on my 1-0 victory over in India.

We then played Karachi Urban in a 3 day tour game. We racked up 205/2 in the 1st session! This became 465/3 on, Cook on 222* and Bell un out on 161. That amazing score rose to 616/4 at stumps! despite Bresnan going early we took the sore to 798/5 at lunch on Day 2. 1000 is in sight! But it wasn't to be. We fell 18 runs short! All out for 982. We then fell 4 wickets short of what would been a fine win. On to the proper stuff next!

Comment

Time to get started with the first of Three Tests in Pakistan. A win in the series will elevate us up to joint second in the rankings (yes really!) but we know it will be difficult. Hoggard sneaks into the line-up while Pakistan have a debutant in.

I win the toss and bat.

Day One

Our openers, particulary Cook, batted well for a 50 partnership. It was a shame then when Cook nicked behind after looking set on 40, 71/1 at lunch.

Trott also got out when looking set on 47. Strauss kept going and got to 66* while Pietersen upped the scoring, 179/2 at the second interval. It is interesting to note the pitch is already on 2 bars for Seamers meaning uneven bounce.

And it was perhaps the state of the pitch that caused the collapse to 255/8 at stumps. I'm not worried yet.

Day Two

We were promptly rolled over for 263 - Tanvir with 4 wickets. Buffet Bowling allowed Pakistan to coast to 103/1 at lunch. Hoggard 3 overs for 30 runs = Career Over?

252/4 at tea. Onions apart (4 wickets) the bowling is rubbish. Umar on 123*.

He went for 148 eventually. Alam backed him up with 73. We kept fighting and reduced them to 376/9 at the close...

Day Three

Which became 382 all out - a lead of 119. Serious batting required. Our openers were dismissed cheaply and it was 50/2 or -69/2.

In the afternoon Trott brought up his 50 while KP wasn't too far behind. They managed to wipe out the lead and we were 131/2 which is 'net' 12/2. We're still in this!

Trott continued his good work moving to 89* while KP was out for 69. Kieswetter was out cheaply but Matty Prior took us to stumps safely. 221/4 a lead now of 102.

Day Four

We added another 79 runs for no further loss in the morning. Our lead is now a healthy 181. Trott brought up his century as well, a fine effort.

He departed for 136 but Prior went on and on to 78*. The lead is now up to 256.

We upped the scoring rate and there was just time for Prior to reach his hundred before we were all out - Pakistan need 329 to win but Bresnan is injured. In the 4 overs we had before stumps Onions bowled a brilliant little spell to take 2 wickets. 16/2!

Day Five

8 wickets away from victory or 313 runs from defeat. The odds are in our favour. It was a frustrating session at first because Alam powered to a fifty but when Hoggard snared him the floodgates opened. Jimmy A took 2 wickets in one over (including Yousuf) meaning it was 113/5 with 2 sessions left.

Then Y Khan dominated the bowling. He made a quick and potentially match-winning hundred. Then Anderson took the wicket of Haider and another one fell. 222/7 at tea but Khan was still there.

NOT FOR MUCH LONGER! Jimmy Anderson rearranged the furniture. We then mopped up the tail to seal a hugely impressive win by 83 runs.

A superb win in Pakistan after that first innings defecit of 119 runs. From then a century apiece from Trott and Prior set it up. 10 wickets for Onions also helped

1-0 up, 2 to play.
                                Last edited by TheDevil666; 08-12-2011, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X