The English Cricketing Empire - A Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The English Cricketing Empire - A Story

Hi I'm TheDevil666 and some of you may remember that I did a story about my failure with New Zealand on last years version. Well this year I will be using my home Country, England, and attempting to dominate the cricketing world. I will be playing on Normal Difficulty as I attempt to build the English Cricketing Empire.

Summary Of the English Cricket Team

Tests

At the moment England are on a superb run in Test Matches. They have not lost a series since Spring 2009 and since then they've racked up some impressive victories including 2 Ashes Series. That doesn't cut much ice in the Cricket Captain World because they are ranked a lowly fifth in the rankings. The players at my disposal are a good mixture of youth and expierence with incredible bowling depth, some of the best batsmen in the World and the best WK in Tests, Matty Prior.

ODIs

We're not doing well in the ODI format however. A 6-1 drubbing at the hands of Australia preceded a nightmareish (but exciting) World Cup for England, losing games to Ireland and Bangladesh before being demolished in the Quarter Finals to Sri Lanka, by a margin of ten wickets. This will be the hardest scetion of my task.

T20s

Being honest I don't like T20s and I failed to see the point of them in previous ICCs. However now that there is a rankings system in place I will be working to build on our status as World Champions.

Comment

First up then a 3 match Test series against the touring Sri Lankans. Victory in this Test Series will see my ranking jump to fourth. My twelve man squad for this Test is easy to pick; Strauss (C), Cook, Trott, Pietersen, Bell, Morgan, Prior, Bresnan, Broad, Swann, Anderson and Tremlett.

Well that was the plan except Matty P has injured his knee. Which means I have to call on England's Reserve Test WK. And if you're thinking who the bloody hell is that, you're in good company! Matty P has occupied that spot for what seems like years! Instead I call on Kieswetter, a handy First Class Somerset Batsman, for his Test Debut. Good luck to him.

Another problem come match day is who do I pick out of Morgan and Bresnan. 4 bowlers or 5? I opt with Morgan thinking I need the extra batter in light of Prior's absence.

I lose the toss and have to field first. A shame as I would have batted but it does give me first chance to tear into them. Tremlett and Anderson will take the new ball...

Day One

It is a pretty good wicket to bat on if I'm being honest and I rotated the bowling between the 3 seamers in the morning (no Swann just yet) and Tremlett took 1 wicket as we reduced SL to 75/3 at lunch, Broad with the other 2.

An hour into the afternoon session and with no further breakthroughs I bring on Swanny. First ball he spins one past Mathews bat and knocks out his leg stump! Swann will tear you apart again! 111/4. He took another wicket in that session but Samaweera struck a fifty to keep the scoreboard ticking over, 194/5 at tea.

After Anderson and Tremlett found no further success in the evening I brought on Broad and Swann. I was getting worried, particularly as Samaweera made his ton. I needn't of though, Broad tore through their middle-order and tail with, assistance from Swann, taking figures of 6/90 while Swann had 3/74. SL bowled out for 294, Samaweera the highest scorer with 115 - the next highest 38 by Dilshan. Our openers saw off the last over of the day, 1/0 at the close.

B]Day Two[/B]

Bat once and long appears to be the key. Strauss had many lives in the morning session, narrowly surviving a caught behind appeal and being dropped. He saw it through which is more than can be said for Ali Cook, he went for just 3. 73/1 at lunch.

However, Staruss was out shortly after lunch on 48, just short of what would have been a well-deserved fifty. Pietersen then attacked the SL bowling and smashed it to all parts brining up his 50 after just 45 balls. Trott stuck with him and, he too brought up his fifty. 191/2 at tea.

Then Sri Lanka fought back. Mendis took 2 in a row to remove Trott for 94 and Bell for a first ball duck. Morgan was out to Fernando fairly soon and we were in a bit of trouble as Kieswetter came to the crease. Hey, an England batting collapse, who says this game isn't realistic?! Pietersen and Kieswetter saw it through to the close, Pietersen on 95* and England 268/5. Evens.

Day Three

And it wasn't long before Pietersen brought up his ton. He was soon out on 112 and K'W was out cheaply. A late cameo from Swann got us to 368 all out just after lunch. Fernando took 6 wickets. A lead of 74 runs.

Their openers dug in to reach 48/0 at the tea break, the lead fading.

And it didn't get much better. The openers made a century stand before Broad took 2 wickets in one over. Tremlett then removed Mathewslate in the day but Sangakarra powered to an unbeaten ton, 190/3, a lead of 116.

Day Four

Sangakarra gloved one early in the day out for 114 and we attacked. But as much as we attacked, SL counter-attacked. Our innings was full of 20 and 30 scores. 310/7 at lunch, Jimmy A leading the charge.

They made vital runs in the afternoon but when we took the new ball we ran through them. 358 all out but still an interesting target of 285. It will be tough. Ali Cook made only 1 as his poor start to the series continued. Strauss could only just get to dounble figures and it was 42/2 at tea. 243 to win, 8 wickets remaining, 4 sessions to do it.

It wasn't looking good when Trott nicked behind and then Disaster! Pietersen run out. We're 4 down with Bell, Morgan, Kieswetter, Broad and Swanny needing to come up with around 235 runs. Morgan and Bell fed off singles as we limped to 89/4.

Day Five

Should be a classic day then. We need 196 runs for victory, Sri Lanka need 6 wickets.

Morgan and Bell fed off the same diet again, singles and the odd boundary. They batted beautifully in the morning and Bell brough up his fifty. With a couple of overs 'till lunch Bell chased a wide one and was out. 156/5 at lunch, still 129 away from potential victory.

It followed the same recipe in the afternoon. This time Morgan and Kieswetter fought off the bowliing with the odd boundary and then Morgan made 72 before being caught. A fine innings and he got us to 214/6 at tea. 71 needed.

We were nudging our way there. The target was worked to under 50 before a disaster (yes, another one). Rain. After it stopped we had 6 overs left and had to attack the bowling. We played another 2 overs and smashed the bowling with Swann getting out. The light, however, ruined the conclusion to the game and it was a draw. Kieswetter however was able to bring up his first Test Match 50.

A draw but I felt we would have won had the game gone the distance.

Last edited by TheDevil666; 08-03-2011, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Good luck. Lofty targets there but England have the players to achieve them.

Strangely I didn't notice Kieswetter was in the side when I saw the image until I read the text above it. What I did notice was Dilshan not opening, which I've just had a mini rant about him and Sangakkara opening together now. Then I noticed him at seven. Two interesting things there. First your playing without the patch. Second the game doesn't seem to rate him too highly.

And England's back-up Test keeper is Davies, that's who went did the job over the winter. But maybe Kieswetter would get the nod now if Prior broke something important for wicket-keeping. Still, I would've been tempted to give young Bairstow a go, despite him being from Yorkshire. Seems a better Test option.

Comment

This is pre patch he needs to update Dilshan has been made to an opening bat now!

Comment

Originally posted by Dutz View Post
            This is pre patch he needs to update Dilshan has been made to an opening bat now!
            Still won't make much difference to the quality of dilsan.

Comment

Matthew Prior is still injured so I pick the same 12 man squad and then the same XI as last time.

I lose the toss and I am put into bat on a very cloudy morning.

Day One

Worries about the cloud are quickly dismissed as Staruss and Cook attack the bowling. Cook gets out on 33, a good start but no finish. Strauss brings up his 50 during the first session and we're 99/1 at lunch.

Those worries quicly resurface after Trott goes cheaply followed by Pietersen for a duck. Bell sees out the session and Strauss marches on to the 90s. 164/3.

Then Strauss runs himself out on 94. What an idiot! Obdurate has a new meaning with Ian Bell - 23 runs off 99 balls. He eventually is out on 24. Kieswetter also gets stuck in a rut and we collapse. 214/7 at the close, a disaster.

Day Two

Morgan falls just short of a half-century but Broad steps up to continue his good work. An amazing innings of 81 by Broad propelled us to a very respectable 340 all out just before tea. The next Ian Botham?

Sangakarra was hit by a nasty rising delivery causing him to retire hurt and he is out of the Test Match. That didn't stop the other SL batsmen attacking and they got to 121/2 at the close. (Effectively 3 down.)

Day Three

Jayawardene races to his fifty as we hunt for wickets. Anderson and Broad took one apiece and Swann added a couple as we reduced SL to 213/6. In the balance and Jayawardene still there.

But not for much longer! He was removed for 83 by Broad after he nicked behind. After that we cleaned up, Broad finishing with 4/77 and Swann 3/18. They were bowled out for 233, a lead of 107 for us. Our openers again laid the foundations for the innings and steered us to 41/0 at tea. That's a lead of 148.

The idea was to keep battling in the last session but Strauss perished early on 15. The unlikely figure of Trott boosted the run rate with a quick 20 before he edged behind. Cook dug in and made a 50 - his first of the series. Rain curtailed the end of the day, 120/2. A lead now of 227.

Day Four

Cook and Pietersen took the sting out of the bowling attack and added a further 57 runs in that session for no further loss. The pitch a minefield.

They both brought up personal milestones in the afternoon. Pietersen a 50 and Cook a hundred. Well done to both of them. They attacked without mercy on that afternoon taking the score to 297/2 at tea, a lead of 404. I batted on for a couple of overs after tea allowing Pietersen to get his hundred and then promptly declared. SL needed 417 to win in 3 and a half sessions.

In actual fact we only needed 9 wickets for victory because of Sangakarra's injury. Anderson took 2 wickets to leave them 27/2 at the premature close because of the bad light.

Day Five

It was a no contest. We tore into them and bowled them out shortly after lunch. Only a spirited 30 by Kulkasera kept us, briefly, at bay. Jimmy A took 4 wickets and everyone chipped in as we romped home by 281 runs.

Last edited by TheDevil666; 08-03-2011, 12:03 PM.

Comment

With the 3rd and final test coming up, Matty P is still inured. I persist with Kieswetter. I do drop Tremlett though. His bowling average is over 40 for the series. His replacement is a legend of English Cricket. A man who was unfairly dropped and never been reinstated. He is.... Matthew Hoggard (as correctly guessed by Simbazz, unlucky Dutz).
                Last edited by TheDevil666; 08-03-2011, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDevil666 View Post
                  With the 3rd and final test coming up, Matty P is still inured. I persist with Kieswetter. I do drop Tremlett though. His bowling average is over 40 for the series. His replacement is a legend of English Cricket. A man who was unfairly dropped and never been reinstated. He is....
                  You sir, are a tease
                  World Serious Cricket

Comment

Don't tend to get involved in stories but very much enjoying this.

My reckoning is Hoggard, but who knows.

Comment

Id guess Finn??

Comment

Originally posted by Simbazz View Post
                        Don't tend to get involved in stories but very much enjoying this.

My reckoning is Hoggard, but who knows.
                        Glad to see you're enjoying it. And you are correct it is Hoggard

Comment

Third and Final Test then. A draw or a win will see that I win this series and go up to 4th in the rankings. Matty Hoggard is having a barnstorming FC Season so far and is brought into the squad just ahead of Shahzad. I also decide to put him in the team, not Bresnan. There is also the bonus incentive of Hoggard being on 248 Test wickets, 2 away from a milestone. Looking at their long tail he'll have plenty of chances...

I lose my 3rd toss in a row and am forced to field first. Not too bad, it's what I would have done...

Day One

I give the new ball to Hoggard and in his 3rd over he swings one back into Tharanga's stumps! Broad adds another but SL fight back and it's 91/2 at lunch, Samaweera closing in on 50.

And he gets it pretty soon in the 2nd session. Frustration for us as he and Mathews pummel the attack. Eventually Swann gets Mathews LBW for 60 but it is the only wicket of a bad session. 193/3.

Graeme Swann is again the hero as he bowls Samaweera but only after he completed his hundred. Dilshan powers along to 48 before Hoggard gets him for wicket no. 250!! We're right back in this! Hoggard and Anderson add 1 more apiece, 298/7 at the close.

Day Two

A good day for batting this. Hoggard clears up the tail and completes a 5 wicket haul, redemption! 313 all out. Horrible start to our reply - both openers edge behind and we are 7/2. Trott is out for 11 - disappointing series for him. Eventually, it's 73/4 at lunch with KP leading the fightback.

When KP gets out at 117/6 it's looking bad. But we bat deep and led by Kieswetter and Swann we fight back to 171/6 at tea. Still hope, maybe.

With Swann departing early in the thrid session and Broad making not-very-much it was a fine effort by Kieswetter to make 69. Prior has a legitmate contender to that WK spot. We're all out for 224, trailing by 89. That lead is extended to 115 by the close for the loss of one wicket.

Day Three

Our bowling has no answer to Samaweera and Jayawardene. They reamin unbeaten throughout the first session both compiling 50s. Hard work required.

But not given by Broad. He had a shocker and that's not what we needed. Our bowling was flogged to all parts and now it was 255/4 at tea. The series is slipping...

With out bowlers tiring Sri Lanka took full advantage. Samaweera, paticulary, made 149 before Hoggy got him. 389/6 at the close.

Day Four

Let's keep this short. Sri Lanka pounded our bowling and Broad had disgusting figures of 0-137 . We needed 579 to win or 5 sessions to bat out.

Our top order was ripped apart and it was 97/5 at the close

LET'S HAVE SOME MUSIC! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1XGWbVT1p0

Day Five

We can do this! We will never surrender, never ever give in!

Morgan and Kieswetter defended their wickets as if their lives depended on it (or there careers!) and amazingly managed to survive the first hour, then the second! They both made fifties.

Come on lads we can do it!

The third hour was seen off and with it the new ball. Then disaster. With less thn 15 minutes until tea, Morgan was stumped. Then Kieswetter was bowled. 7 down, 1 session left

Never stop believing!

But we did. As soon as Broad was bowled after an hour, Anderson was out soon followed by Hoggy. It's over but it's not embarrasing. The series is drawn 1-1.

Next up: A review

Comment

Well my first Test Series was drawn 1-1. A fair result I think. We each dominated in two of the tests and the second was even. It means we keep our total of 21 world rating points out of the possible 36.

Batting

I brought Kieswetter in as cover for Prior but he excelled and was our best batsman. An average of 59.25 was brilliant along with his three fifties. The question for the India tests is where does he fit in? Pietersen also did well collecting the highest amount of runs in the series 289 at an average of 57.4 with two centuries. Morgan was the only other batsmen who averaged over 40. Bell with a pitiful average of 19 was poor and could be dropped...

Bowling

Hoggard had a brilliant return to the England side taking 6 wickets at 24.62 in the test he played. Swann, Anderson and Broad were also all on the money (bar the last test for Broad). Tremlett was disappointing - his average over 40. We're gonna have our work cut out against the Indians...

Comment

Next up is a T20 aginst Sri Lanka. I'll breeze through the description of this game. My team:

Davies, Kieswetter (WK), KP, Morgan, Bell, Collingwood (C), Bresnan, Yardy, Swann, Woakes and Shahzad.

We batted first and thanks to a brilliant knock of 73 from 45 by Morgan we totalled 159-4, we could have done better.

Samaweera struck an unbeaten fifty as SL got to their target with 8 balls and 5 wickets to spare.

Comment

Working...
                              X