Stats - Not added in 2011, So...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stats - Not added in 2011, So...

Can we have an "export scorecard" button for matches - pref in a CSV format.

I will put together an Excel sheet (hopefully fully compat with Openoffice) to do the stats for myself.

Gutted that the most talked about feature for 2011 when 2010 came out has not been implemented (other than cursory T20- and 50 over stuff).

If we can export the match results - just as they are - no changes...
    as a .csv file, I will do it myself and make it available for others.

Doubt it will take more than 10-15 hours to do. Can't get my head around why as developers the simple tabulation and storage of the information that this game already generates is proving to be such a difficult proposition.

Might be better if you let the fans do it, and you concentrate on adding other stuff.

Scritty
    The continued lack of stats in ICC is not so much the elephant in the room - as the Brontosaurus in the bathtub.

Stats is cricket for me. I like just not see what someones average but what his average is in different batting positions, in the first or second innings,against different teams and away from home.

Thats what most cricket enthusiasts discuss regularly on almost every cricket forum on the internet. Thats what this game needs!

Thanks Scritty for brining it up once again.

Comment

I'll definitely use your spreadsheet if you do it

Comment

Originally posted by PeterCook2 View Post
        I'll definitely use your spreadsheet if you do it
        I could link to last years threads where all this was discussed and I thought we were moving forward.

Hushed "wait till next year" stuff hinting at the idea that we wouldn't be disappointed.

I think effort has been put to open the audience of this game as wide as possible. Ipads and mobile devices. I can see this makes economic sense for Childish Things.

Just like it makes economic sense for me not to spend £15 or £20 on buying a game I already own - but with added features I have little or no interest in.

Given that I find the online game a den of foul language, piracy talk and cheating (last year I completed not one single game using ICC2010, albeit I quit one after telling someone I was using a bought copy and them telling me to ....ermm "fornicate in an awayward direction" and various other stuff when asked where he could get pirated versions from "like yours")

The feature list for a PC user with last years game is two things.

1) Updated DB
        2) New field editor system.

This is barely a patch never mind a new game. I don't feel inclined to subsidize the development of the game X platform.

If that can't pay for itself - then don't do it.

I'm looking at 11 versions of ICC in front of me. I even have the Ashes from 2001 (Ebay). So 2011 will be the only one missing.

Good job I'm not a completist....
        Having said all of that - and acknowledging the possibility I'm contradicting myself. If Chris or someone gives me the ability to at least sort out my own stats - i'll buy it.

But until that happens - or stats are made a full part of the game - I will not buy another iteration.

Stats are just too darn important for many real cricket fans for this nonsense to carry on.

Scritty

[EDIT]

PeterCooke2

I only have one leg and wonder if you have an vacancies for a runner or delivery boy?
        If I am the sole monoped applying for such a post I hope I might be favourably considered...
        Last edited by Scritty; 07-18-2011, 10:47 PM.
        The continued lack of stats in ICC is not so much the elephant in the room - as the Brontosaurus in the bathtub.

Comment

I'm seriously considering compiling my own stats, as well, but I have this horrible feeling that I'll spend more time on the stats and less time on the game in my pursuit of a StatsGuru type database...
          World Serious Cricket

Comment

Unfortunately I have to agree here, I too was under the illusion, it seems, that stats had to be the priority this year. When it was first announced that 2011 would be an update rather then a whole new game I actually got excited. I thought that meant they were going to focus mainly on stats and a little on realism but that's it.
            Sounds like they're basislly going to implement the way stats are kept in tests in all formats and have a ranking for top t20 teams to join tests n ODI. So nothing new, just same stats but for all formats. That's about it no? It's hard convincing myself that that's enough to buy it.

It's unfortunate because cricket captain has the potential to be an unbelievably amazing game and I'm sure one day it will. I guess not all is lost, every step, no matter how small it seems, is atleast a step in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by nids View Post
              Sounds like they're basislly going to implement the way stats are kept in tests in all formats and have a ranking for top t20 teams to join tests n ODI.
              That is how I read Sureshot's post as well.
              Such a shame.
              Expanding the game for wider audiences has been the focus for too many iterations of the product now.

The last three updates add either competitions from other nations or, more recently, have been developed across more formats.

While this is fine, and probably makes economic sense to Childish Things, it offers nothing of any real substance to those of us who have stuck with the franchise for getting on for thirteen years.

Where is the bait to lure us into buying another game?

I always have this reaction when a new ICC comes out, I have always bought in the past (like I said I own every single game - the box for the original ICC is HUGE)...but this is one kick-in-the-teeth too far,

For many of us stats ARE cricket, it's that simple. The game produces them in great numbers so why can't they be compiled and tabulated? That's all we ask.

Like you say though, I hope the franchise does thrive and they are put in at some point. The risk here is that those of us who love the data are going to be missing from these forums for a year now, so the pressure to add these features may appear to diminish in our absence.

My mind is now set -I won't buy another version till a full stats system is implemented. I've bought enough versions of this game over the years that I never play and I am not inclined to continue to subsidize it any more.

Scritty

Comment

I Am writing a Stat Application that will Import the Current .txt Scorecards and save in a Database. After a bit more testing, i will make the application available if anybondy wants it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blade007 View Post
                  I Am writing a Stat Application that will Import the Current .txt Scorecards and save in a Database. After a bit more testing, i will make the application available if anybondy wants it.
                  hmmm nice idea as i have been tired of manully maintaing my stats in spread sheet.. will be looking forward to that

Comment

What are you developing it in? I might be able to help. Pretty good at C++, Java, VB and dabble in a few others.

Looking at the current format of output it only amazes more that the developers can't do this. If it takes a minute to update after a round of games then so what? Have it as a turn offable feature for those that don't want it.

Looking at the stats (which would be oh so much easier to work with if they first came out in .csv format...the current .txt stuff has variable length strings and some quirks with line formatting) but that aside it is something that would take a long day to do outside the game.

Even end of season only updates (where the entire seasons figures were dumped and used to update a master file and therefor never lost when another 2 seasons had passed)

Compared with some of the VB I had to write in the 90's to stop Bosch Thermotechnik in Worcester from falling over - this really doesn't look that challenging. The caveats being...

a) This should be done "inside" the game and..
                    b) It shouldn't really be down to fans to do it. Lack of stats is not so much the elephant in the room of this venerable cricket game..It's the Brontosaurus in the bathtub playing with your rubber duck

Scritty
                    Last edited by Scritty; 07-19-2011, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by batcarry View Post
                      hmmm nice idea as i have been tired of manully maintaing my stats in spread sheet.. will be looking forward to that
                      Should be finnshed by next week.

Originally posted by Scritty View Post
                      What are you developing it in? I might be able to help. Pretty good at C++, Java, VB and dabble in a few others.
                      I Am doing it in Pascal. That is the only language I know and that is what I am using for dayjob.

Comment

I Am doing it in Pascal. That is the only language I know and that is what I am using for dayjob.
                        Good luck. I have what I started last year in Excel using a little VBA to begin to format the data. Gave up on it and requested output in CSV file last year (didn't get that then either... )
                        I did pascal (along with Cobol) at college in the mid 80's. Never touched it since.

Comment

Where is the features list please? Or lack of features list judging by Scritty's surly posts

Comment

Originally posted by PeterCook2 View Post
                            Where is the features list please? Or lack of features list judging by Scritty's surly posts

Here we go - from the top of the forum. Reprinted again more out of shock and disappointment than anything

One Day and 20 over records for International, State and County. We also have a OD and 20 over ranking table for International and player rankings for all formats.

Saving to the cloud, which means you can save on one PC and on your laptop or work machine you can immediately load the latest version. This also works between iPhone/iPad and PC and the forthcoming Mac version.

An area we've wanted to really improve is online, not only can you now play between anyone playing the 2011 version (PC, iPhone/iPad and the Mac version) but there is a new challenge system. Which means you can play single player whilst waiting for someone to challenge you.

Improved field editor, it looks similar, but this is really dynamic and quite clever, it'll take a bit of getting used to, we've been really struggling to explain it. There is one field setting for each bowler type, line, length and attacking setting and you can also now edit the default fields for a user-defined version. When you start playing with this and it "clicks" you'll love it.

Comment

Request for the Developers

Chris

Is there any why you guys can include a "Player ID" in the export file te keep each playere Unique.

If two players has the same surname and names starting with the same letter (Dwayne Bravo and Darren Bravo of WI) the the name in the file will only show "D Bravo".

Comment

Working...
                              X