wicket keeper question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wicket keeper question

do wicket keepers have different levels of ability for their wicket keeping? i.e. do they have ratings which mean they are more likely to drop catches or give away byes?

i haven't noticed any major differences between different players, but it seems obvious that they should have different ratings

maybe catches per match?? I have one wicket keeper with a figure of 2, and one with a figure of 1. Don't kmow if this is just by chance or if it means the one with 2 is better

Comment

Originally posted by waapwoop View Post
      maybe catches per match?? I have one wicket keeper with a figure of 2, and one with a figure of 1. Don't kmow if this is just by chance or if it means the one with 2 is better
      I have noticed wicket keeper that has higher cpm rate is much better that the other
      After Historical Retired Players Stats ,Captains Record
      Is my Next Dream

Comment

I'm sure there is a rating yes. Better keeper will mean less byes/drops and probably more stumpings. Make a non-keeper keeper for a game and you'll watch the byes go.....eh.....by. So clearly there is some kind of rating going on there distinguishing b/w a keeper and non-keeper. Logically the same will apply between two actual keepers. Similarly if you play a test with a part-time keeper and then play it again with a full-time keeper you can almost be certain there'll be more byes (maybe considerably more) against the part-timer. If there isn't then this could mean the part-timer isn't all that bad and could be a better option if he's a much better bat.

I think that was more than I meant to write.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Zigi View Post
          Make a non-keeper keeper for a game and you'll watch the byes go.....eh.....by.
          I had to do that when my regular keeper was retired hurt in the first innings. Maybe 50 or so byes racked up in the second innings. Ugly.

Comment

I had a Worcestershire/England save in which both my Worcs keepers (Solanki & Cox) were injured for the period of June 1-17, 2010. I was away with England so I'm not 100% sure who the vc picked - I think it was Daryl Mitchell.
            There were iirc 5 T20 matches in the period. We did not concede a single bye in any of them.

It also seems to me that the majority of byes are conceded in the first few games of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by 6ry4nj View Post
              I had a Worcestershire/England save in which both my Worcs keepers (Solanki & Cox) were injured for the period of June 1-17, 2010. I was away with England so I'm not 100% sure who the vc picked - I think it was Daryl Mitchell.
              There were iirc 5 T20 matches in the period. We did not concede a single bye in any of them.

It also seems to me that the majority of byes are conceded in the first few games of the season.
              The wicket-keeper's probably a bit stiff I guess.

Comment

I'm playing as Pak and in my 1st series v Aus (2 Tests) I played Asad Shafiq as keeper, a part-timer in the game and I think in reality too (not really sure what his ability is in reality). He did ok in the 1st test (15 byes) but in the 1st innings of the 2nd test there were 31 byes conceded, and a further 10 in the 2nd innings. K Akmal has been my keeper in the 7 tests I've played since and the most byes he has conceded in an innings is 8. In many of those innings he has conceded none.

Comment

The keeper that I currently use was fanastic in his first game or 2 - no byes, took every chance. Was a perfect performance. Now, he's just like every other keeper - byes all over the place and dropped chances a-plenty.
                  World Serious Cricket

Comment

Originally posted by 6ry4nj View Post

I have a feeling I noticed a while ago that no byes were ever conceded for your team when the match was skipped/auto-played. Might make an FC game worth skipping if you have 0 fit keepers available.

Comment

Whilst on the subject of keepers, what about the ability of fielders??? They must have some kind of rating too. If they do Younis Khan is obviously not rated very highly. Between the 9 tests and 8 ODIs I've played so far he has spilled more dollies at 1st slip than I care to think about. Seriously, I haven't kept count, but I'd say he has dropped close to 10 but it could be even 10 or more. His default position is 1st slip and slip is not something I ever change really. In reality YK is one of Paks best fielders. Maybe each player has a slip rating and he's rated abysmal. I guess it's just another thing to speculate about in the game but I think it's time for Younis to put in a few shifts in the cover region. If there's a rating for outfielders he should be rated pretty high.

His latest drop, in an ODI, was Amla, who was in the 20s at the time. He went on to score 120.

Younis Khan - Slip Scratcher Extraordinaire

Comment

actually he is rated highly default position of any player on the field tells how good of fielder they are e.g.(paul collingwood is always at first slip in the game because he is england best fielder.)

the numbers from 1 to 9 tells you how highly rated they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Mully2010 View Post
                          actually he is rated highly default position of any player on the field tells how good of fielder they are e.g.(paul collingwood is always at first slip in the game because he is england best fielder.)

the numbers from 1 to 9 tells you how highly rated they are.
                          You sure about this? Anyway if you're right, and he is rated highly, he has still dropped too many catches at 1st slip for my liking. And I'm talking about the ones that go straight to him. Mind you he has caught a fair few aswell. I'd say he has caught maybe 60% or a bit less. In reality top slippers drop very few and barely any that go straight to 'em. Having said that I don't know if he is a good slipper in reality, in fact I don't know if he even fields in the slips much tbh. Maybe someone who knows could enlighten me.
                          Last edited by El_Zigi; 02-16-2011, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Paul Collingwood usually does field at 1st slip for England, especially to the spinners, and usually 2nd slip to the pace bowlers.
                            I don't think that the numbers 1-9 represent fielding skill as they appear to be fairly random and often the opening bowler fields at 1st slip.

Comment

I was actually wondering about Younis Khan not Collingwood.

Comment

Working...
                              X