Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Machinax View Post
    New Zealand are an Associate team now?
    I meant that on tours (to my mind) it would make more sense (and I am talking about in RL, which in turn would be reflected in the game) to schedule another tour to the neighboring countries, whether they be Test, Associate, or otherwise. It's a hell of a flight to Australia, so why not have a tour of NZ while you're at it, since they are a short flight away, and then head back.
    World Serious Cricket

Comment

I don't think that's really a problem. As a Full Member country, New Zealand get enough exposure as it is. Nobody has to worry about anybody touring New Zealand, since (for example) they toured Bangladesh and India last year, and then Pakistan toured NZ.

The problem is that a team like Ireland - a rapidly improving one-day team not ready for Tests - don't get enough exposure, whether home or away. Touring countries dropping by NZ after an Australian tour won't do much to establish cricket in New Zealand or the NZ cricket team, since, well, it's already established. It'd make a world of difference in Ireland and the Netherlands.

Comment

I don't think that's really a problem. As a Full Member country, New Zealand get enough exposure as it is. Nobody has to worry about anybody touring New Zealand, since (for example) they toured Bangladesh and India last year, and then Pakistan toured NZ.

The problem is that a team like Ireland - a rapidly improving one-day team not ready for Tests - don't get enough exposure, whether home or away. Touring countries dropping by NZ after an Australian tour won't do much to establish cricket in New Zealand or the NZ cricket team, since, well, it's already established. It'd make a world of difference in Ireland and the Netherlands.
        True, but I was thinking that it might free up some time in the FTP, so the Test teams would have time to add the Associates, et al., to their tour plans.

I'd love nothing more that to see Aussie teams that tour England to have a 3 ODI game series in Ireland and Scotland, and to maybe slip in a 4-day game against both (it's not a Test Match, I know, but it might be good to see how they fare). Likewise, when they tour the WI, a similar visit to Canada and the USA would be nice.

Of course, such touring teams might not play their full-strength sides, resting their key players, but the experience would, I agree, be beneficial.
        World Serious Cricket

Comment

I'd rather see the big nations A teams tour the associates. It benefits both teams by giving the associates exposure against good level players and it benefits the full nations by giving them a chance to expose their younger/second string players to overseas conditions.

Comment

Aye. After I saw the result of the England/Ireland game, I couldn't help but wonder if Kevin O'Brien's Irish career had come to an end
            Kevin O'Brien... maybe his brother aswell because it seems nobody really wants the ODI gloves for England atm... possibly Stirling... should take a look at Dockrell aswell... and we could try and get Joyce back...

Comment

Originally posted by outbreak View Post
              I'd rather see the big nations A teams tour the associates. It benefits both teams by giving the associates exposure against good level players and it benefits the full nations by giving them a chance to expose their younger/second string players to overseas conditions.
              Don't you think that having India/South Africa/Australia with all their great players playing three ODIs across Ireland would generate more public interest and therefore be more beneficial to cricket in the country than sending a load of youngsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Chasjs View Post
                Don't you think that having India/South Africa/Australia with all their great players playing three ODIs across Ireland would generate more public interest and therefore be more beneficial to cricket in the country than sending a load of youngsters.
                I know if an Australian side showed up to play without Watson, (Mike) Hussey, Lee and Ponting or Clarke (depending on who'll be around to captain after the World Cup ), I'd be a little disappointed.
                World Serious Cricket

Comment

Originally posted by Phylos Fett View Post
                  Likewise, when they tour the WI, a similar visit to Canada and the USA would be nice.

Of course, such touring teams might not play their full-strength sides, resting their key players, but the experience would, I agree, be beneficial.
                  Canada's probably a better bet than the US, but they'd have to make sure they tour during the right time of the year.

Originally posted by outbreak View Post
                  This is a good idea, I like this.

Originally posted by Chasjs View Post
                  I think the problem there is that the cricket boards of those countries wouldn't want to burn their star players out, or expose them to risk of injury. There's also the money factor - how many fans back home would tune in to see India vs. Ireland, say, when they can save their money for a bigger game?

Comment

Working...
                  X