No announcement yet.

World Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If someone is replaced because they're injured then they are out of the tournament even if someone else is injured so I'm (as an Aussie) happy to say he can't take further part in tournament no matter what happens with the rest of the players.

Comment

Oops, disregard my previous message. The ICC have changed their minds. You can recall a player previously injured and out of the squad back into it. I wish they'd make up their minds earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by ab5ides1 View Post
        Oops, disregard my previous message. The ICC have changed their minds. You can recall a player previously injured and out of the squad back into it. I wish they'd make up their minds earlier.
        It's a pity that the Aussies aren't going to pick Mike Hussey, though...
        World Serious Cricket

Comment

Originally posted by Phylos Fett View Post
          It's a pity that the Aussies aren't going to pick Mike Hussey, though...
          Yeah, seeing as he's basically fit and one of the best finishers in the game. Could still be picked though as no replacement has been named.

Comment

What a phenomenal game that was yesterday. Disappointed we lost it after the position we were in. What an innings from Strauss, remember, he can't play ODIs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sureshot View Post
              What a phenomenal game that was yesterday. Disappointed we lost it after the position we were in. What an innings from Strauss, remember, he can't play ODIs.
              i agree at one point i'm saying england is gonna win the next India then england again brilliant game, who said 50 overs cricket was dying out.:

Comment

Fantastic to see Ireland come up and win again England! Good to keep things interesting in a tournament like this.
                World Serious Cricket

Comment

Brilliant day for Irish cricket. I saw every ball. I'm Irish myself so I was absolutely delighted when John-boy hit those winning runs. Fantastic knock from Kev O'Brien. I can tell you these lads work hard on their game so they thoroughly deserve this success and any success in the future. Winning the WC is almost certainly beyond them but trust me these lads are not there to make up the numbers. Now it's even more of a shame we couldn't beat Bangladesh like we should have. I'd never give the lads no chance in any game but I do think beating either SA or India is a very tall order so we have to beat the WI and the Dutch. Very possible. Making it into the 1/4 finals would be a great effort.

Fastest 100 in history of WC - Kevin O'Brien
                  Biggest chase in history of WC achieved by - Ireland

Comment

Surely we must now be able to play Ireland and have a way to reach test status as they've shown they deserve it. Stuff realism. Realism is the ICC being retarded and money-mad.

Comment

There is no domestic structure at all in Ireland and doubts will remain over the enthusiasm of the populace to make them a test nation. They certainly produce good enough cricketers, the amount of them playing in English domestic shows that.

I'd love to see it as a reality, but not so sure we'll see it come to fruition, certainly not within the next 10 years.

As ever, being an England fan isn't good for the ticker.

Comment

I agree with Sureshot. Test status for Ireland is a long long long way away. That's if it ever happens at all. Which, I hate to say, it probably wont. These kinds of victories raise awareness of the game in the country of course but it remains and is likely to remain very much a minority sport here. There is no doubt that Irelands efforts in the WC in 2007 brought more kids to the game here and hopefully the same will occur this time. That in itself is an achievement. Certainly playing as an associate team in the WC could be added to the game but I just don't see the point of giving players the opportunity to try and raise minnows to Test status. It would be impractical and totally detached from reality. As Sureshot says only OD cricket is played here; so what exactly do the developers do?? Invent a FC structure.

Comment

Heh, nice to see that the fastest World Cup century belongs to an Associate batsman - again

I really like that Trent Johnston has put the brakes on Ireland becoming a Test country (http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc_cric...ry/504058.html). He's got his head in the right place, and I agree with him 100%.

That said, surely the ICC can give Ireland more exposure in the limited-overs format? Especially if you're going to close the door on Associates for the 2015 World Cup, then there must be a way to supplement their international cricket in the interim. And I mean to REALLY supplement it, not just one or two ODIs thrown in at the end of another team's tour.

Comment

I would like to see Ireland becoming more involved in international one day cricket though. They are currently ranked ahead of Zimbabwe and teams have visited them recently. Maybe if a Test team tours England they can stop off in Ireland for a 3 game series.

The main problem is that any good players Ireland produces will want to play Test cricket. The only way that can happen now is by playing for England. If that Irish side had Morgan in it it would be very dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Chasjs View Post
                              I would like to see Ireland becoming more involved in international one day cricket though. They are currently ranked ahead of Zimbabwe and teams have visited them recently. Maybe if a Test team tours England they can stop off in Ireland for a 3 game series.
                              I'd like to see more of this going on, even if the team is a Test team touring. For example, had a tour of Australia? Pop into NZ for a quick series. On your way to South Africa? Why not have a quick tour of Zimbabwe, as well. You get the idea.
                              World Serious Cricket

Comment

Originally posted by Chasjs View Post
                                The main problem is that any good players Ireland produces will want to play Test cricket. The only way that can happen now is by playing for England. If that Irish side had Morgan in it it would be very dangerous.
                                Aye. After I saw the result of the England/Ireland game, I couldn't help but wonder if Kevin O'Brien's Irish career had come to an end

Originally posted by Phylos Fett View Post
                                I'd like to see more of this going on, even if the team is a Test team touring. For example, had a tour of Australia? Pop into NZ for a quick series. On your way to South Africa? Why not have a quick tour of Zimbabwe, as well. You get the idea.
                                New Zealand are an Associate team now?

Comment

Working...
                                X