Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorry, I wont be buying this, and its a real shame.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the record, I think aus' reply was a perfectly fine one. It makes more sense to please a larger subsection of the population that play this game than the frankly quite small minority that enjoy statistics as in depthly as you do. Granted, I too enjoy statistics, and statistical odities, but cricket is not all about statistics. You cannot tell everything purely from one's statistical averages. International Cricket Captain is about the game of cricket itself, the managing and nurturing of a team to recognition through winning titles. To do this they need to perfect the engine that simulates the games first before they can worry about including the end-user graphics, and other similar things.

Yes cricket does involve a lot of statistics, but the most important ones are included in the game. The average player only cares about a player's average, strike rate (in the short forms), and economy rate. If you want more statistics, then go play 'the other' cricket management game. They have what you're looking for. But if you're looking for the best cricket management game then stay here.

As an aside, I don't think that including records that remain forever would be difficult. But to retain records for each player and how they've done in the past would take a lot of time, and the database would grow rather quickly I would think.

(disclaimer: This was written at quarter to 1 in the morning and may not mean exactly what I want it to say.)

Comment

Originally posted by Scritty View Post
      Gimmicks!?

Stats in a text based sports sim are Gimmicks?
      Cricket stats? Cricket the most stat and record based game outside the U.S...
      GIMMICKS!
      I think when Aus was saying gimmicks he was referring to the made up competitions in the previous post ("Florida T20 Cup" "Waitrose Scottish" 40 over or the "Sydney Beach Cricket")
      Not necessarily the point you have vehemently tried to get past.

Those 'gimmicks' will never come out in ICC, it has and always will be based on real life competitions and fixtures.

At the end of the day mate, I think your point has been well made, and definitely taken note of.
      I'm sure you'll see some of these in 2011.

Just keep in mind it isn't EA Sports or Codemasters releasing the game. Their budget would be the equivalent of my salary pretty much. Lol. Maybe a little more.
      The Cult Of Personality

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie View Post
        For the record, I think aus' reply was a perfectly fine one. It makes more sense to please a larger subsection of the population that play this game than the frankly quite small minority that enjoy statistics as in depthly as you do.

As an aside, I don't think that including records that remain forever would be difficult. But to retain records for each player and how they've done in the past would take a lot of time, and the database would grow rather quickly I would think.

(disclaimer: This was written at quarter to 1 in the morning and may not mean exactly what I want it to say.)
        Thanks for the reply Chewie. :-)

I would say that I'm not at all sure I am in a minority. Maybe the extent to which I would like stats is higher than some, but I think the vast majority want more records.

Database size is almost immaterial. FM and OOTP and many others produce hundreds of years of in depth stats.

The ICC 2010 gamefile is tiny by modern standards (not much more than 100 meg..Napoleon Total War is two hundred and seventy times bigger at 27 gigs!)

I couldn't buy a HDD with less than 200 gig of memory If i tried, Other than the new solid sate ones, they are all massive now. File size in a game with such a tiny footprint will not be an issue. FM archives several tens of thousands of players in a felatively small file, to a skill,record and stat depth that is pretty staggering. After all - it's only numbers. You could store 500 players in the disk space used by one high def bitmap file

And yes, it doesn't seem that difficult. that's the frustrating thing. The game already produces the raw data. So why is it so difficult to archive them?

I mentioned above that perhaps the engine has some starting conditions and presets that can't be changed, but
        The continued lack of stats in ICC is not so much the elephant in the room - as the Brontosaurus in the bathtub.

Comment

Hey Scritty, for a start would you be content with something as simple
          as a top 10

wickets for club?
          runs for club?

this may be asking for too much but id love to see a club hall of fame system where when a player retires the game may nominate him for the hall of fame . . . (must score X amount of runs, take wickets etc to qualify).
          then you could click on that player from a tab in the team info section entitled "Hall of Fame" and look at the players full stats just as if he were still playing.

i will finish by saying im still very impressed with ICC2010 and believe the Aust domestic structure being so different from the English county will improve the games longevity great job!

Comment

Originally posted by tommyjay1 View Post
            as a top 10

wickets for club?
            runs for club?

this may be asking for too much but id love to see a club hall of fame system where when a player retires the game may nominate him for the hall of fame . . . (must score X amount of runs, take wickets etc to qualify).
            then you could click on that player from a tab in the team info section entitled "Hall of Fame" and look at the players full stats just as if he were still playing.

i will finish by saying im still very impressed with ICC2010 and believe the Aust domestic structure being so different from the English county will improve the games longevity great job!
            I used to take screenshots of the outstanding players once they got to the end of their careers. Then I'd post them in the player discussion thread over at planetcricket.net We should get some of those threads going here.

Comment

haha yer , the worst thing about the game is having one of your greats retire, and having nothing to prove how many 100's he scored , or how many 5wi he took.

Comment

I still do take screenshots of regens who have played for me for god knows how many seasons and then retire. You kind of get attactched to them, and if you don't do that, they become history, and a little bit of the game dies

And yes, a hall of fame thread would be a good idea. As well as a hall of fame in the game. It could just be set to make a bmp file of a player profile page every time there is a retirement and save it to some folder in the directory. Then again, that could well be harder than just storing the player

Comment

I think that the game should automatically store people who have scored a certain amount of runs, taken a certain amount of wickets or played a certain amount of games. Something that I would think is something quite easy to add. Add a retired tab in the player record section.

Definetly should have a thread on here where we show our hall of famers/favourite players preferably regens at the end of their careers.

Comment

haha yer , the worst thing about the game is having one of your greats retire, and having nothing to prove how many 100's he scored , or how many 5wi he took.
                    For me it's like writing a great book - then burning it.

BY 2070 odd (where I got to in ICC 2009) I was on my fourth generation of players. I had openers start at 18 yo, play to 36, retire and be replaced, then the replacements be replaced etc.

I would love to see the stats for these guys, but they are gone.
                    11,000 test runs, 450 test wickets. No record.

Perhaps there is a difference between the match by match player, and the long term "simmer"

I just know that the past is important. StatsGuru (not something that I expect emulated BTW) is massively popular. THe ESPN Cricinfo guys (Gnasher in particular) go on and on about it. Spending hour after hour browsing history.

The Lords "Honour board" is a major thing for a reason - it's because people want that permanent record. The museum and archive of lords is the most popular off season attraction. Tens of thousands of people just wanting to see the past. See the bat Gooch score 333 with. See the 4 ft picture of Victor Trumper with his back leg cocked in the air (why Victor why )

And see the balls, bats and scorebooks from the past.
                    Relive the history.

I have got a lot of enjoyment in the past from ICC games, anmd hope to have more in the future. Let's see how this goes :-)

Scritty
                    The continued lack of stats in ICC is not so much the elephant in the room - as the Brontosaurus in the bathtub.

Comment

as a top 10

wickets for club?
                      runs for club?
                      Time to get constructive now.

The ability to export the end of season tables for batting and bowling would do.
                      If it could key on a hidden field of "Player ID" which would have to be completely unique!

Then I would write a VB script (either stand alone or to use in Excel if it was a CSV file) to do the stats for us.

I would happily give this away at

where I already host the ICC2002 1.1 patch for anyone who needs it.

Simple as that.

You give me an export button for the end of season batting and bowling stats (preferably with the key field of a unique player ID added) and i'll have the VB coded by the end of next week (would do it this week, but have work and a busy weekend watching and playing - weather permitting)

How's that for constructive?

Scritty

Comment

I just know that the past is important. StatsGuru (not something that I expect emulated BTW) is massively popular. THe ESPN Cricinfo guys (Gnasher in particular) go on and on about it. Spending hour after hour browsing history.

Scritty
                        I was actually thinking about StatsGuru as a great way to represent and search for stats, and what a great tool it would be ingame. Good for a wishlist, maybe never going to happen, unless the team can gets StatsGuru to release their information to them, and for them to build it into their engine...
                        World Serious Cricket

Comment

Gimmicks!?

Stats in a text based sports sim are Gimmicks?
                          Cricket stats? Cricket the most stat and record based game outside the U.S...
                          GIMMICKS!

Oh give me stregnth, if that's the attitude you lot have then I really am wasting my time

The Oz league is a good idea, I can't deny that. I see how many Austrlians come on these forums. It's only fair that they get the structure they deserve.
                          It's what many want
                          It makes financial sense, it opens up a new market. The SA league and WI inter island cup will do the same.
                          Settle down, I was replying to the talk about made up leagues like the Sydney Beach Twenty20, which would be gimmicks. I'm not saying records are gimmicks.

I share your love of records, I too like to read through them in my spare time, but I don't believe that they are the most important thing to include right now. Seeing the support it's getting I will put it to Chris for next year's edition but it's true, the more leagues you have the more it opens it up for different audiences. It may do nothing for you because you only want to play with one team, but for Australians it is the most important feature inclusion there is.

Comment

You'll both be pleased to know that Chris has read your comments and is working out its feasability.

Comment

Originally posted by aus5892 View Post
                              You'll both be pleased to know that Chris has read your comments and is working out its feasability.

In regards to the hall of fame?

Comment

We're summarising the request from the forum so that when we start development for 2011 we know what you want. We have discussed some aspects in a bit more detail. But for the moment, we are still in the development stage of 2010, which is important to bare in mind in terms of how we respond to requests.

Comment

Working...
                                X