Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorry, I wont be buying this, and its a real shame.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, I wont be buying this, and its a real shame.

Dear Childish,

Thanks ever so much for bringing us the new game and thanks for all your hard work.

Im playing the demo and im suitably impressed at the smoothness of the gameplay.

The reason I won't be buying it though is this.

Im a stat man, and cricket is VERY stat orientated. Ive asked for the following things to be added and they are not.

I cannot play this game without stats being properly identified, I want the records section to be vastly improved and it hasnt since its conception. I am just not happy with the partnerships section at all. A top ten is just not good enough and this time you did not even open up a top wicket partnership for the different formats of the game. I want the game to resemble the Playfair cricket annual or even better the Wisden. I want top 10's for 1st wicket partnerships in county limited over and twenty20. Ill give you an example.

County Championship 1st Wicket Partnerships v Lancashire

1st Key & Denly 134 2010
    2nd Key & Denly 88 2011
    3rd Key & Northeast 80 2010
    4th Northeast & Denly 40* 2011

etc

I want top individual scores v Counties in different formats and highest of all

Twenty20 highest scores overall

Key 89 v Somerset 2010 Final
    Stevens 88 v Middlesex 2010 Group
    Denly 81 v Middlesex 2010 Group

Etc

The same with bowling etc, etc, etc.

I think I you can gather what im getting at.

Another thing is sortable stats, surely if I click the colunm of a stat for example wkts it should reorder the list into the most running down sequentially.

A good example of how stats are recorded excellently and also one of the reasons I play the game is OOTP 11 (Out of the Park Baseball.

Call me a whiner but I love my cricket and personally I would do away with all graphics to get a much better stats and records section. I dont know if Im the only one, and if I am Im sure it won't get changed but Im afraid its a total selling point for me now. I would greatly appreciate some feedback on this.

Please keep going with your development of the game though. I just want to get emmersed in the game big time, Im nbot keeping paper records anymore.

Regards

I think, for most people, the gameplay is much more important than having a really deep stats section. The developers themselves said they were focusing on gameplay for this year's edition of the game.

And saying 'I want this, I want that' is quite a rude, selfish and ineffective way to get your point across.

Comment

I agree, more stats would make the game 10 times better

Comment

Theres nothing rude about it at all,Ive purchased every version since its inception therefore it gives me every right to make my suggestion. There are 2 types of player, one that is impressed by fancy graphics like Bryan Lara etc and those that read the Wisden.

I have been playing the demo since last night and Im bored already as there is no recording of stats. Its just repetition.

The gameplay, if you have played the last few versions is no different in any great shakes.

I could quite happily go back to the old engine. The stats have not changed once and as for columns being clicked so I can see leading run scorers or most maidens, well , that is a no brainer to get right.

If you want me to be picky, I don't care much for the fonts either.

Having said that, I absolutely love the guys for trying to make a great cricket game, Im just telling them that their takings are going to be shy of my money now until they rectify this. I guarantee you im not the only one that takes the Wisden to the toilet with me wishing it could be incoorporated into the game. I would actually forgo all graphics personally in favor of stats.

The truth is though, that this version is no different to the last.

Im behind the makers all the way though and am itching to give you my money!!!

Keep it up

Comment

Ive also just seen that you are Australian?, maybe thats why you like the razzamatazz of the game engine more than the historical aspects that would lead to a fulfilling career in the game.

I like playing my games for seasons upon end, I want to see partnerships and figures stand the test of time, and to try and better them.

Comment

This version is most certainly different to the last one. A more extensive record base is something we want to do, but it isn't going to take priority over the development of game modes.

It is actually something I'd also like to see improved in the game, but you have to weigh up the actual development of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sureshot View Post
              This version is most certainly different to the last one. A more extensive record base is something we want to do, but it isn't going to take priority over the development of game modes.

It is actually something I'd also like to see improved in the game, but you have to weigh up the actual development of it.
              Thanks for getting back to me on this, Im glad you want to bring it in, as Im positive that any decent cricket fan will appreciate that they love all the intricate statistics that build up over the years. I can only ask that you try and bring it in sooner rather thatn later as Im getting older!!!!!

I really do think you are doing a great job, but no matter what you say about the gameplay improvement there are only so many graphics you can bring to the table. I think it would be interesting if you did a pole on the matter. Like I said, I do not notice the changes in the game engine as much as I would appreciate a difference in the game screens.

I like the contacts and what you have done. But whats the point of me bringing in a top overseas star for a season to see him bang in the runs or wkts to see his name up once for most wkts in the season or runs.

Im sure you know what I mean.

Please keep me posted on future development.

Comment

Yes, we did discuss keeping records of players from the past, so it's very much within our thoughts.

The stats thing is a personal thing that I'd want to bring in, hopefully the other guys would like too as well, but the focus on 2010 was gameplay, which was mainly bringing in Aussie domestic and an overhaul of the English domestic scene, in terms of what you actually see, but also in terms of general AI, which is yielding more realism.

Comment

Yes, we did discuss keeping records of players from the past, so it's very much within our thoughts.

The stats thing is a personal thing that I'd want to bring in, hopefully the other guys would like too as well, but the focus on 2010 was gameplay, which was mainly bringing in Aussie domestic and an overhaul of the English domestic scene, in terms of what you actually see, but also in terms of general AI, which is yielding more realism.
                  I would be very worried if you are the only one wanting the stats and records brought in, Ive got a horrible feeling that your mates must be online players that want online leagues with silly names!, this is not good news!

Comment

Originally posted by djmaddison8 View Post
                    I agree, more stats would make the game 10 times better
                    +1 here on that.
                    I am also a terrible Stats head too - one of the best parts of the (real) game, and something that needs to be taken into consideration before the ECB/ICC start screwing with Test Matches and playing with strange coloured balls in pyjamas......

Comment

Thats three for, how many against?

Comment

I have to say, that I am also a big fan of stats, and used to keep quite extensive stats that the game simply couldn't provide, and make other serious notes, as well.

I had fun working all the information into Excel, and would have loved to be able to export the stats ingame into Excel, even if it was for the purposes of me being able to manipulate the data myself, or to correct some of the errors that were made - I can't remember which version it was, but there were problems with players retiring hurt effecting stuff like partnerships, batting averages (and bonus points).

At the same time, I have a laundry list of things that I'd probably look at changing as well, as far as gameplay and expanding the game goes - more international domestic series, ICCC control (sort of a metagame thing, I suppose), and some other tweaks and error corrections (I can't remember when I saw a stumping appeal turned down, a run out at the bowlers end, a run out of a no ball, or a stumping off a wide, etc.).

But, hey, I want it all
                        World Serious Cricket

Comment

It should.
                          Let's face it, every game mode, when push comes to shove, plays exactly the same.

I press the same buttons in the same order when playing a test match as I do when playing a t20 game. I might increase aggression and set more defensive fields, but that really is it.

T20 is great fun, but it is the same game, it's not any different in terms of gameplay is it?

For me, stats should be number one. In fact they are a decade overdue.
                          That's just my opinion of course

Do we need the "Florida T20 Cup" included, or the "Waitrose Scottish" 40 over or the "Sydney Beach Cricket" included? They will play out exactly the same as every other "mode", but have a different sponsors name at the top of the screen while you play it. Really? Is that actually what people want? Are you sure?
                          If that's what Chris is going to spend the next year doing, then I'll go now. I'm y hoping it isn't.

Nope stats are what this game is missing. Yes we need more gameplay, but without stats anything you do in the game quickly loses its meaning.

Scritty
                          Last edited by Scritty; 06-08-2010, 09:25 AM.
                          The continued lack of stats in ICC is not so much the elephant in the room - as the Brontosaurus in the bathtub.

Comment

It's not all back of the box stuff but I think the best thing we've done re stats this year is make it easier to sort through them in your squads. In the past you could only sort by batting or bowling averages or surnames. Now you can sort by a lot of different factors, which makes choosing your team a lot easier. As for turning it into a Wisden, it'll never be that indepth. It'd be nice to do it and there's definitely some stats we could and should include in the future but personally, and I think most of the fans agree with me, adding in more systems such as the Australian domestic system will add more to the game.

Do we need the "Florida T20 Cup" included, or the "Waitrose Scottish" 40 over or the "Sydney Beach Cricket" included? They will play out exactly the same as every other "mode", but have a different sponsors name at the top of the screen while you play it. Really? Is that actually what people want? Are you sure?
                            The modes will play out the same with more stats too. This is not about gimmicks, it's about allowing people to play with different teams and players than the standard County and international modes.

Comment

Originally posted by aus5892 View Post
                              The modes will play out the same with more stats too. This is not about gimmicks, it's about allowing people to play with different teams and players than the standard County and international modes.
                              Gimmicks!?

Stats in a text based sports sim are Gimmicks?
                              Cricket stats? Cricket the most stat and record based game outside the U.S...
                              GIMMICKS!

Oh give me stregnth, if that's the attitude you lot have then I really am wasting my time

The Oz league is a good idea, I can't deny that. I see how many Austrlians come on these forums. It's only fair that they get the structure they deserve.
                              It's what many want
                              It makes financial sense, it opens up a new market. The SA league and WI inter island cup will do the same.

Good for Childish Things. Smart idea. Agree with it commercially.

For me (and many other UK based players) the Oz league will add little or in my case nothing.
                              I have played every game, and rarely played any team other than Worcestershire, and will probably never change. I have no "emotional connection" or whatever you might term it - to any other team.

I did try with Lancashire quite a few years ago, but found I really didn't care whether they won or lost, and when they played Worcestershire - I wanted them to lose!

One little point to stop any confusion.
                              I think I need to clear up the stats terminology.

What would probably be a better word is RECORDS

I don't mean differnt player skills or whatever, but being able to keep hold of the records of players for the long term.

As for not being Wisden - fine. But set your sites on Playfair.

I can't express just how flabbergasted I am that records and stats in cricket are seen as such a third string addition to this game. A "gimmick"... ?!

I mean it's a text based sports sim - for the most record centric sport outside of baseball.
                              How can they be such a low priority. Seriously?
                              Do you guys actually play cricket? (real cricket)?

and then "gimmicks" argghhh.

I give up
                              Last edited by Scritty; 06-08-2010, 01:07 PM.
                              The continued lack of stats in ICC is not so much the elephant in the room - as the Brontosaurus in the bathtub.

Comment

Working...
                              X