Life is a Rollercoaster - England Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second ODI

England pick the same side as in the first game of the series.

Bangladesh win the toss and bat.
    Woakes bowls a superb opening spell bowling all his 10 overs picking up three wickets and bowling economically, though he tired in the last two overs. Anderson and Broad don't prove as effective at the other end and leak runs. The spinners keep Bangladesh tied down in the middle overs with Patel 's bowling particularly of note.

Cook helps England get off to a steady start after losing Bopara early. He struggles to accelerate though and gets bogged down. Accelerating isn't a problem for Pietersen. He plays himself in and then goes mental hitting 4 fours in a row in consecutive overs with a huge six in between. He looks like he's in the mood to finish it early but charges Shakib one too many times and Rahim whips the bails off. Cook's frustration ends when he is bowled by Samad but Gould and Cale have no problems getting England over the line with plenty of overs to spare.

England win by 6 wickets
    Man of the Match - Gould
    England Man of the Match - Patel, bowled well taking wickets and restricting the opposition.
    Other Notable Mentions - Pietersen, Gould, Woakes, Rashid, Cale
    Poor Game - Bopara, Anderson, Broad
    Last edited by Chasjs; 06-06-2011, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• Sorry but the scorecards in the first ODI are wrong - they are from the previous T20.

Comment

• Originally posted by 6ry4nj View Post
        Sorry but the scorecards in the first ODI are wrong - they are from the previous T20.
        Thanks for that... I'd managed to upload the wrong set of JPEGs. They have the same names just in different folders.

Fixed now.

Comment

• Third ODI

Only one change for the final game in the series with youngster Ingram comes in for the out of form Anderson.

England win the toss and bat.
          Cook goes first ball but Bopara and Pietersen make good progress putting on 97 runs together before Bopara edges to the keeper. That brings Gould in who keeps the momentum going. Pietersen looks set for a century but gets out trying to accelerate the scoring for 89. Gould, however, does reach three figures for the first time in his international career. England look set for a huge score but after losing Gould the wickets tumble and they can't take advantage of the final overs with Skelton guiding the team to a 300+ score.

Bangladesh chase better than in the first ODI with Iqbal leading the charge. He edges Rashid and he's caught behind. Mahmudullah tries to keep the innings together with Pietersen proving as deadly with the ball as with the bat. But after he is run out Bangladesh's resistance ends.

England win by 73 runs
          Man of the Match - Gould
          England Man of the Match - Gould, Pietersen almost stole this award with his three wickets but he did what Pietersen couldn't, score a century.
          Other Notable Mentions - Pietersen, Patel
          Poor Game - Rashid, Cook, Cale

Comment

• Please could you update this as I am looking forward to what happens next

Comment

• Series Reaction
              England win Test series 1-0
              England win ODI series 3-0

England start the summer with a series win, though not as convincing as would usually be expected against Bangladesh and improvements must be made if if the Ashes are to be reclaimed.

The ODI series was much more comfortable with a 3-0 whitewash.

Man of the Test Series - Cobb, maybe should've scored two centuries but two big scores none the less.

Man of the ODI Series - Pietersen, three innings, two fifties and a ton with a strike rate over 100. Exactly what you want from your number three in the shorter format.

Comment

• Originally posted by Frosty10 View Post
                Please could you update this as I am looking forward to what happens next
                As am I, however, the forums went down for a week or so and then I had loads of hand-ins and an exam so I was a little busy. Finished my second year of Uni now though .

Comment

• First Test

No suprises in the England line-up with Strauss and Swann reinstated and Gould prefered ahead of Patel.

However, there is one in the Australia line-up as they hand an international debut to 20 year old very aggressive Victorian batsman Jeff Hills who keeps Ponting out of the side. He averages over 60 in First Class cricket with 6 centuries in 26 matches and over 70 with 3 centuries in 29 one day matches after his debut last year.

England start well with 2 fifty partnerships but Cook and Bopara both fall in the thirties. Strauss and Pietersen follow in the afternoon session for 76 and 16 respectively but Cobb and Gould rally to bat out the rest of day one. They start day two 278/4. Cobb reaches his century but Gould falls 5 short after a 204 run partnership. Cobb himself falls for a steady 152. Skelton follows soon after for 72 and a 32 from Broad helps England to a total of 553 on the morning of day three.
                  Anderson gets Jaques early bringing Hills to the crease. He shares a century partnership with Hughes who is run out for 88. Broad gets Clarke for 36 but England can't stop Hills knotching up a centuy on debut. Cobb comes on to bowl but cocedes 12 off his first over including a huge six from Hills. Cobb gets revenge, though, with the first ball of his next over, trapping Hills lbw for 117. England take the new ball with Anderson striking in the last over of the day, White caught behind for a near run a ball 73 with Australia 376/5. Wastson (81) shares 46 and 70 partnerships with Haddin(29) and Johnson(36) respectively before England finish off the tail to bowl Australia out for 501 in the afternoon.
                  England lose three wickets before the close on day four as they go about extending their 52 run lead closing on 113. Pietersen makes exactly 100 before falling to Tait. With a result unlikely England bat out the rest of the day with Gould reaching three figures for the first time in Tests.

England Man of the Match - Cobb, held the England first innings together with a big hundred while also dismissing the Aussie centurion Hills.
                  Other Notable Mentions - Gould, Pietersen
                  Poor Game - Woakes Swann, Cook, Bopara

Comment

• That wasn't a 500 plays 500 pitch... it's just their bowling is (touchwood) not all that dangerous and their batting is crazy good. Not sure about White at 5 and Jaques opening but the rest down to 8 is solid. So... don't lose and nick one like four years ago then???

Comment

• Your England are having the same lack of bowling penetration they've got irl vs. Sri Lanka (2nd Test not 1st, of course).

Cobb and Gould, eh? Can you remind me where this Gould came from. I've got a save where a Leics regen has leapfrogged over the fancied Taylor and (to a lesser extent) Cobb to become the first non-real-life regular in the England team (this is in 2010). Bet Taylor's annoyed!!

Comment

Your England are having the same lack of bowling penetration they've got irl vs. Sri Lanka (2nd Test not 1st, of course).

Cobb and Gould, eh? Can you remind me where this Gould came from. I've got a save where a Leics regen has leapfrogged over the fancied Taylor and (to a lesser extent) Cobb to become the first non-real-life regular in the England team (this is in 2010). Bet Taylor's annoyed!!
                        Don't see how you can accuse the RL England bowling for lacking penetration after riping Sri Lanka to shreds just 7 days ago without their best seamer.

Taylor - Average in ICC09. Ace in ICC10.

Cobb - Ace in ICC09. Average in ICC10.

Gould - Regen, look over the past few pages and you'll find a player profile. Very impressive stats.

Comment

• I was just remarking the similarity between your Test and the current one against Sri Lanka. Get a big score, hoping for a big lead - but can't restrict them from getting nearly as many as you. I wasn't having a go - England's my team too!

Regarding Gould, if I may clarify, I just wondered what county he was from.

Comment

I was just remarking the similarity between your Test and the current one against Sri Lanka. Get a big score, hoping for a big lead - but can't restrict them from getting nearly as many as you. I wasn't having a go - England's my team too!

Regarding Gould, if I may clarify, I just wondered what county he was from.
                            Cool. I thought getting a big score and bowling the opposition out for a cheaply as possible was the whole idea of batting first in a First Class/Test game

Gould, he's from Notts I think. But the info is on a previous page.

EDIT: http://childishthings.co.uk/forum/sh...&postcount=336

Player Profile

Ken Gould RHB, RMF
                            Nottinghamshire
                            Batsman
                            Aged 22

Batting Averages
                            First Class - 68.54
                            One Day - 60.58
                            T20 - 34.60

Slight front foot preference
                            Strong off side preference
                            Last edited by Chasjs; 06-07-2011, 10:05 AM.

Comment

• Second Test

No changes for England for the second Test.

Strauss and Cook depart early while Bopara and Cobb both lose their wickets in the twenties. Pietersen and Gould lead the recovery with a century partnership. Gould makes 49 but Pietersen pushes on into three figures. England lose Skelton late on, closing on 281/6. Pietersen edges Siddle to the keeper on the first ball of the next day and Watson finishes off the tail for 291.
                              Broad is the first bowler to strike as Hughes edges him to the keeper off the last ball before lunch for 40. Jaques falls the same way for 38 with Broad also claiming Clarke for a duck in the same over. Hills and White bat out the rest of the day with both batsmen reaching three figures and taking Australia into the lead. Anderson removes Hills for 133 early the next morning. White is the next to go, trapped lbw by Woakes for 163. Woakes strikes twice more before lunch on day three removing both Watson and Haddin. Johnson reaches exactly fifty before edging Broad to Broad to keeper Skelton and Austrlai declare soon after for 517, a lead of 226.
                              England lose the wickets of Strauss, Bopara and Pietersen before going off for bad light at 74/3 at the end of day three. Cook makes 53 before Gould and Cobb add 111 together with Cobb out for 90. England then lose Skelton, Broad and Swann before to close of day four with the lead just 19 and with only one wicket in hand. Gould goes on the offensive next morning hitting three fours and a six but England only bat for 17 more minutes setting Australia 44 to win with Gould stranded on 82.
                              Woakes removes both openers but Hills and Clarke have no problems seeing Australia home.

England Man of the Match - Gould, batted well throughout. Probably should've scored more in the first innings but played a solid rearguard before running out of partners in the second.
                              Other Notable Mentions - Pietersen, Cobb
                              Poor Game - Strauss, Bopara, Swann, Anderson, Skelton
                              Last edited by Chasjs; 06-08-2011, 01:36 AM.

Comment

• I think White heard me... :/

Comment

Working...
                                X