Bowlers form underestimated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowlers form underestimated?

I might be wrong, but in my little experience playing this game, bowlers' form seem to be judged purely by the number of wickets they take. If so, it's certainly a wrong way to go, especially in limited formats...

I.e., I have a medium pace all-rounder whom I only give 5-6 overs per game (using him mostly as a batsman who can bowl part-time). He's reasonably economical and almost always gets a wicket. So, in last 5 innings he had figures of 1-13, 1-34, 1-21, 2-14, 0-10, which is a pretty good record for a part-timer - not giving away many runs and getting breakthroughs. I mean, for anyone, bowling average of 18 is to dream of! But his bowling form is half-star at the moment.

In shorter formats, that's even more outlandish, as sometimes you simply need a very economical bowler, and don't really care about wickets as much.

Another issue is when the wickets are getting distributed among many bowlers. I have recently completed a long format game, bowling out opposition twice for <200 scores, where each of my main 4 bowlers got 1-2 wickets in each innings, and some of all-rounders and part-timers chirped in as well. Now I observe that the form of all of these guys have dropped. Well, it's not their fault that they had only that many batsmen to bowl to and they got out so quickly.

Am I right in my observations?

Yes I suspect you're right, or at least this is very much in line with my experiences too. I would further say that it seems to require very good performances in order to lift your form as a bowler - more so than for the batsmen I reckon. Something that at least recognised the importance of run containment would be a good addition to the engine i think, but then on the other hand I'm not exactly sure what form does for a bowler? Does it even matter that much?

Comment

Batsmen need 3-4 hundreds to maintain a good form. Bowlers maybe need 3-4 5-wicket hauls to maintain form.
      Originally posted by Raver
      Something that at least recognised the importance of run containment would be a good addition to the engine
      Good Advice!
      One can even argue for the batsmen saying that a 30 off 15 balls in T20 will be more useful than a run a ball 40.

Comment

I also find that generally speaking, my batsmen have 3-5 stars of form when they play well, whereas a bowler has to perform extremely well just to notch up 3 stars.

Comment

I always assume form makes a difference, but I wonder if it does actually have a bearing on performance - or if it's nothing more than a visual indicator of recent scores and nothing else?

Comment

Working...
          X