How to treat medium part-timers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to treat medium part-timers?

I'm having a bit of a trouble understanding how to play LM/RM part-timers. My batsmen get out to these guys (most often, clean bowled which should be pretty rare in any circumstances) regularly, and I don't see any reason for that.

Usually, they get 2-4 overs to bowl when my batsmen are fully (or >70%) set, and vast majority of them, on paper, are poor bowlers (bowling averages of 50+, and quite often 100+). With such averages you must get a wicket only once in a blue moon... I mean, really, even if you face this guy for 10 overs, and go 5 runs per over, it means he should get a wicket only every two innings (and no, they never get 10 overs either, so it's an overestimation). At first I tried targeting them on 4-5 aggression, but when I started to see a pattern that fully set batsmen get out clean bowled in first over,I lowered it a bit, but even now when I go to aggression 2 to just survive one of these freaks, I still concede wickets to them more often than I expect!

Haven't noticed such things with part-time spinners... They strike sometimes, but in reasonable amounts.
    And my part-timers don't seem to be as effective as that, mostly they just go for some boundaries.

Any thoughts?

(wrote this after my best fully set batsman got out to a RM dude with bowling average of 212 (!), second ball, when on aggression 2)

Hello,

Generally computer gives these bowlers a chance before spinners come on to bowl. I generally attack these bowlers irrespective of batsmen's settled rating provided there is a decent batsman. My batsman can get out but I mostly get 15-20 easy runs from his 2 overs. I attack at 5 bars if the batsman is new or even 6 bars if he is set. Spin part-timers do not get the ball frequently in matches unless one has batted for very long. I even attack a bowler at 5 bars if his bowling average is poor i.e. 40+. This is my view on part-timers:-

a) RF/LF - Most expensive.
    b) RMF/RFM/LMF/LFM - Expensive but can take wickets.
    c) RM/LM - Expensive but very accurate (You miss I hit).
    d) OS/SLA - Reliable, won't leak runs.
    e) Leg Spin - I avoid attacking as they have maximum chance to get wicket.

Comment

Hmm... So, maybe the accuracy is the issue - either it's importance is overestimated, or it's intentional that it's harder to score from slower bowlers and if you try, you lose wickets (which is not exactly true, really).

Comment

In real too, we generally see part-time spinners performing well like Michael Clarke, Simon Katich, Joe Root and Kane Williamson to name a few. RF part-timers are very rare and unpredictable.

Comment

Working...
        X