Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any intelligent tips for Test matches bowling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any intelligent tips for Test matches bowling?

I am really struggling in Test matches in the bowling department especially
    In a Test series which now concluded against NZ they scored above 500 runs in their first innings against me in both the matches
    And before that England also scored above 500 in all their 3 Test matches against me!
    My bowlers are decent bowlers as well... But still they leak runs as if its an ODI match... And their Test bowling stats are shattered now.. I set defensive field when a batsman is on a high score but still they score more than 5 an over... I have even tried bowling to batsmen weakness but still not successfully working..
    Nothing is working out!
    Can anyone help please? Shall be very thankful!
    Last edited by estmsm; 03-29-2014, 01:10 PM.

Originally posted by estmsm View Post
    I am really struggling in Test matches in the bowling department especially
    In a Test series which now concluded against NZ they scored above 500 runs in their first innings against me in both the matches
    And before that England also scored above 500 in all their 3 Test matches against me!
    My bowlers are decent bowlers as well... But still they leak runs as if its an ODI match... And their Test bowling stats are shattered now.. I set defensive field when a batsman is on a high score but still they score more than 5 an over... I have even tried bowling to batsmen weakness but still not successfully working..
    Nothing is working out!
    Can anyone help please? Shall be very thankful!
    Hi

I like to try to have at least one left arm in a four seam attack - plus 2-3 spinners (maybe one can be part time).
    I bowl at 5 bars of aggression until the batsman has score 10
    4 bars for 10-25
    3 for 25-50
    2 bars for 50-75
    1 bar for 75-100
    No bars for 100+
    (Someone else posted this years ago and it has always worked for me)
    Each new day you reset to 5 bars and once the new batsmen starts scoring then decrease accordingly.

In terms of bowling I never bowl at a batsmen as strength in test of first class games.
    So if he prefers offside the. Bowl at middle. If he prefers leg side then bowl at off stump, if no pref then off stump as default - same for spin & seam

Variation always seems to work for me but I do like to have about 5+ all rounders in my teams so I know I can bat down to about 9 with a very short tail

I go for the default fielding for test games too - you could always tinker with this if you wanted.

Hope this helps ...

Comment

Hmmm well i will definitely try out ur tactics! I hope it helps! By the way thanks a lot for ur reply! Appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Van Dykes Disco Dog View Post
        Hi

I like to try to have at least one left arm in a four seam attack - plus 2-3 spinners (maybe one can be part time).
        I bowl at 5 bars of aggression until the batsman has score 10
        4 bars for 10-25
        3 for 25-50
        2 bars for 50-75
        1 bar for 75-100
        No bars for 100+
        (Someone else posted this years ago and it has always worked for me)
        Each new day you reset to 5 bars and once the new batsmen starts scoring then decrease accordingly.

In terms of bowling I never bowl at a batsmen as strength in test of first class games.
        So if he prefers offside the. Bowl at middle. If he prefers leg side then bowl at off stump, if no pref then off stump as default - same for spin & seam

Variation always seems to work for me but I do like to have about 5+ all rounders in my teams so I know I can bat down to about 9 with a very short tail

I go for the default fielding for test games too - you could always tinker with this if you wanted.

Hope this helps ...
        I tried ur tactics regarding bowling aggression etc and it helped me in bowling a lot of maidens.. Especially by my best bowlers... The runs leakage are controlled a lot... I also tried and modified ur tactics a bit by bowling with 5 bars of aggression to a new batsman till 10 runs... from 10 to 50 i went with 3 bars... From 50 to 100 with a single bar... And above 100 runs no bars... And this helped in getting wickets a lot as well... so no more 500 easy runs for the opposition.. and have also started winning series... Beat WI 2-0... Lost to ENG 2-3... But it was a close series...
        And also ur tactics regarding bowling to weakness etc, it worked well as well and helped a lot in my winning causes... First i used to bowl at batsmen only on leg side, those with off side strength, and in turn got thrashed.. But as u said for a batsman with off side strength, bowling with middle stump line helps and it really worked... So thanks a lot again for ur precious help

Comment

Originally posted by estmsm View Post
          I tried ur tactics regarding bowling aggression etc and it helped me in bowling a lot of maidens.. Especially by my best bowlers... The runs leakage are controlled a lot... I also tried and modified ur tactics a bit by bowling with 5 bars of aggression to a new batsman till 10 runs... from 10 to 50 i went with 3 bars... From 50 to 100 with a single bar... And above 100 runs no bars... And this helped in getting wickets a lot as well... so no more 500 easy runs for the opposition.. and have also started winning series... Beat WI 2-0... Lost to ENG 2-3... But it was a close series...
          And also ur tactics regarding bowling to weakness etc, it worked well as well and helped a lot in my winning causes... First i used to bowl at batsmen only on leg side, those with off side strength, and in turn got thrashed.. But as u said for a batsman with off side strength, bowling with middle stump line helps and it really worked... So thanks a lot again for ur precious help
          Very happy they helped mate
          It's not anything complicated really so sometimes the obvious stuff works

Comment

Working...
          X