Tactics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactics

I just thought of creating a thread on which we discuss tactics we use to play the game. I will start. In 20-20s I just bat on full aggression the whole way through and bowling I bowl defensive outside off. I never play ODIs and I bat on 3 bars until 50% settled and then 4 bars. Bowling varies in FC.

PS - please fill out the survey in my signature. Me and some other people are trying to gain some recycling data so we can take action.

Originally posted by KGKOOLKAT777 View Post
    I just thought of creating a thread on which we discuss tactics we use to play the game. I will start. In 20-20s I just bat on full aggression the whole way through and bowling I bowl defensive outside off. I never play ODIs and I bat on 3 bars until 50% settled and then 4 bars. Bowling varies in FC.

PS - please fill out the survey in my signature. Me and some other people are trying to gain some recycling data so we can take action.
    Some of these are self-explanatory, some are stolen from you guys .. some I have just seen that they seem to work.

For all formats I pick 4 seamers (I may bring in a R/LM for limited over matches) one of whom must a left armer, plus 3 spinners (must be OS, LS and SLA .. one of each). Obviously this means I only have 4 batsmens of which one is the keeper, but at least 4 of my "bowlers" are allrounders or bowlers who can bat a bit (Swann, Philander, Naik, Plunkett etc)

Current Yorkshire Team for FC games as an example ..

Root
    Jaques
    Ballance
    Bairstow WK
    Vettori SLA
    Rashid LS
    O'Brien RFM
    Bresnan RFM
    Naik OS
    Hatchett LFM
    Plunket RMF

With Pyrah (RM) coming in for limited over games

For any non-international saves I ask Groundskeeper Willy for a spinning wicket.

20/20
    - Batting : I start at 7 bars but increase to maximum once batsman has settled to about 40%
    Last 8-10 overs always to max but this will depend on how many wickets in hand etc.
    If batting second I will only go to 8 bars if 8 runs an over are required ... if R/R dips to less than 7 then I may reduce agression if batsman is not settled.
    - Bowling : Seam at one end, spin at the other - let each of my 7 bowlers (OS, LS. SLA. RM, a left armer, plus 2 RFM/RMF etc) have 2 overs then the final 6 go to the most economical/best performing bowlers.
    All seam bowlers bowl on off stump .. all spinners avoid bowling to batsman's strength when possible

40/50 Over games
    - Batting : start on 4 bars and increase as batsmen gets settled up to the max. Again always Max for last 8-10 overs
    - Bowling : Main 2 seamers get the new ball for first 8-10 overs, then seamers 3 & 4 take the next 8-10 overs. Spinners come on next and bowl 4-5 each ... final 12 - 15 depending on One Day or ODI overs split between the best performaing bowlers.
    I've found sometimes that a bowler can get hit for 8+ an over but then the batsmen are more likely to make a mistake and hole out within the next few over so try to let them bowl their 4 or 5 overs regardless of runs conceeded - well unless they are getting taken for 10 an over
    All seam bowlers bowl on off stump .. all spinners avoid bowling to batsman's strength when possible (as per 20/20 above)

FC/Test
    Batting : Start at one bar and increase when they get settled up to a maximum of 6 bars unless I'm involved in a run chase
    Bowling : 5 bars for a new batsman (6 if an out-and-out bowler) reducing aggression bars once they get to 10, then 25, then 50, then 75 and then no bars if they reach a century. Always look to avoid bowling to a batsman's strongest areas.
    Last edited by Dick Van Dykes Disco Dog; 08-27-2013, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X