The Hardest Test - Zimbabwe (Story)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hardest Test - Zimbabwe (Story)

Hey everyone! I've not had the most glorious of introductions to this forum, I've felt like a complete idiot, but I'm up and running and since I saw all your stories I really wanted to do my own, even if it ends up just being for my own amusement!

First off, I've just graduated from university with a history degree and have a job lined up in September as a TA in a secondary school. On to the important parts, I'm a huge fan of Irish cricket, my favourite player at the moment has to be young Paul Stirling, would love to see them in one test before I die!

On to the story.

I've taken over as manager of Zimbabwe. My goals aren't too clear at the moment, I think in all honesty just to become competitive against the big boys would be good.

So from looking at my first squad, only Masakadza has broken a thousand runs in test cricket. Ray Price has picked up 84 wickets in 20 odd games which is impressive. I can't pretend I know all that much about Zimbabwean cricket apart from their pretty much in a state of limbo, really kept away from the test sides and far away from the associates.

My first series was at home against Bangladesh, would really need to make this count! We have two tests, three ODIs and two T20s. Although, I'm the worse T20 player ever on ICC.

Here are the line ups for the first test

Click image for larger version

Name:	1st test team.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	53803

Day 1

I lost the toss and was asked to bowl first.
    Masakadaza takes the early wicket of Iqbal. The veteran, 36 year old spinner, Ray Prince then strikes in his first over, leaving Bangladesh wobbling on 33-2. Al Hasan and Hossain then put on a partnership of 140 to leave my bowlers really struggling. We get 14 overs with the new ball before the end of play on day 1 and we pick up 4 wickets, still Bangladesh’s day though on 322-7.

Day 2

Inevitably, Bangladesh’s tail wags and just before lunch we bowl them out for 402. Sibanda is dropped at slip off the first ball of the innings. There is an opening stand of fifty between him and Taylor. Taylor has been sublime with 34*, Sibanda on the other hand… missing everything. Taylor hits the first half century of my reign off 78 balls. He seems to be Zimbabwe’s future, someone to build around. At tea, we are 94-0, a really promising start! Sibanda has looked more assured, hopefully we can push on.
    Ahh, he goes second over after tea, for 32. Masakadza hits a quick fire 22 off just 12 balls, Zimbabwe still solid on 122-2.
    Disaster! Taylor is bowled for 70. 125-3. Craig Ervine and Malcom Waller do really well to consolidate and leave us on 191-3 at the close of play.

Day 3

Ervine LBW for 35 in the first over of the day, not the best start. Really unlucky, Malcom Waller goes for 48, just two runs needed for that half century! Sean Williams steadies the innings with a very good fifty. A final wicket partnership of 56 allows enough time for Sean Williams to become my first centurion! Hitting 104 unbeaten off 221 balls and giving us a lead of 19!

With just 18 minutes before the close of play, Chigumbura takes the prized wicket of Iqbal with the first ball! End of day 3, Bangladesh 23-1. Lead by 4

Day 4

Hoping to take some early wickets and have a good chance of getting a win in my first test! Wow, the early wickets really didn’t happen, at lunch, Bangladesh have raced away to 183-2. Islam racing to 75* off 80 balls, my bowlers seem to require a lot of work. That was definitely our session, I think… we take 4 wickets, but Bangladesh are now 300-6. Another partnership frustrating us but then, Chigumbura takes 3 wickets in 4 balls! Bangladesh declare at 392-9 and we have to chase 374 with 15 minutes left and all of day 5. Not so confident now!
    They got Brendan Taylor early, as we finished on 10-1, bit worried now, as we are not in a good position at all, still 9 wickets tomorrow to save the test.

Day 5

Masakadaza and Sibanda, with none of the nonsense of his from the first inning do so well to steady the ship, but then, just before lunch and having got to fifty, Masakadaza is out LBW Al Hasan for 51. 103-2 at lunch. First over after lunch and Sibanda gets out, he finished on 45, disappointed with that wicket! Ervine goes for 12, we’re in a spin at 134-4. We’re now 173-6, we’ve lost 5 wickets for just 70 runs. Malcom Waller again putting up stiff resistance, but at tea, we are 203-7. We need 171 runs in one session to win, Bangladesh unfortunately just need the 3 wickets. Waller does indeed get his fifty, but it’s in a losing cause as we are bowled out for 248.

Name:	Scorecard 1st test.jpg
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	53804

Overall, not a bad start, it will take time to make us a good side, even against the likes of Bangladesh.

Positives:
    Sean Williams century in the first innings was sublime. He also chipped in with two wickets in the match. Malcom Waller is a fighter and knows how to build an innings.

Negatives:
    The bowlers lacked any real fight or aggression. They seemed as if just going through the motions, may need to look to the first class structure to bring in some pace.

The Second Test

I decided to remove Jarvis and bring in Chatara. I also decided to move Williams up the order to Number 4. I thought with a lead of nineteen going into the second innings of the first test we would be up there with a chance but we fell some way short, I'm hoping we can really give it a go and beat Bangladesh this time.

Day 1

Once again, I lost the toss on this flat Harare wicket and was asked to bowl.
    My plan to Iqbal does seem to be working as Chatara, brought in for his pace, bowls Iqbal in the sixth over.
    I’m really pleased with that session, we choked the runs and picked up wickets, Bangladesh 75-3.
    But once again, Bangladesh recover and reach 180-3 at tea. I’m disappointed, we had the platform to make inroads but we couldn’t do it. Al Hasan is 86*. Disaster! They are 293-3, with Al Hasan not out on 150 and Haque about to reach a century, a torrid day, two wicketless sessions. Really torrid day for my team, if we don't take early wickets on day 2 we're going to be out of the game!

Day 2
    Ray Price finally gets the wicket of Al Hasan who goes for a sublime 176, he really has been the difference between the two sides so far. We took three wickets, leaving Bangladesh still in a strong position at 403-6. Dear, oh dear, Nafees goes for 99, but we are really struggling now. 606-8 declared.
    My openers, Taylor and Sabanda successfully see out the end of Day 2, 41-0.
    You can tell from my poor description of Day 2 that my Zimbabwe team really are struggling!

Day 3

The thorn in my side, Al Hasan strikes again, getting Sibanda for just 27. He then takes two wickets in his next over, including the newly promoted Williams first ball, leaving us on 65-3. It’s THE AL HASAN SHOW. Taylor hits him for four in his next over and is then bowled for 33. With 94 runs on the board he takes the prized wicket of Malcom Waller. We are 94-5 down now and in all sorts of trouble.
    Mwakayeni and Chigumbura get us to 160-6 at lunch. Mwakayeni gets his first ever test fifty! The 200 comes up and we’re still 6 down, glad to see a bit of fight from these two at the crease. Ahh, Chigumbura is bowled by Mahmudullah for 44. 232-7, that was a partnership of 124. It is the nervous nineties now for Mwakayeni. 99 now, that was close, he survives an LBW appeal, and the very next ball he does the same again, this time he’s given out on 99! Last ball before tea as well.
    My tail enders do not hang around and we’re all out for 278, we needed 129 more runs to avoid the follow on. We’ll be batting again, identical time to last night as well.
    It’s Déjà vu! We finish Day 3 on 40-0.

Day 4
    Remember this time yesterday, when in the morning session we lost 5 wickets? Well, this time we lost a remarkable 7! 190-7. Only Craig Ervine is playing well, he’s 51* off just 55 balls. Bless them, my lower order of Masakadaza, the bowling Abra Kadaza , and Ray Price have done all they can to stick with Ervine as we are now 272-8.
    There we go! No 99 not out this time, Craig Ervine with a sumptuous drive gets to his first ever century, it comes off 150 balls with 14 fours. The end is nigh, plumb LBW and Ervine goes for 124. Well played though! All time Zimbabwe record for the 9th wicket, 88 runs.
    348 all out, we got a lead though! Only it’s 20 runs. Look at my scorecard! It’s very Australianesque, we should replace the top order with the bottom order.

Chatara takes the early wicket of Islam, but Bangladesh comfortably get to 21 and win the series 2-0.

Positives:
    Very few after this match, my bowlers can bat? Mwakayeni was very unlucky he did very well to recover the position as did Ervine.

Negatives:
    We were completely outplayed by Al Hasan, he hit two centuries including a 176 and took 10 wickets, are players did not know how to handle his spin.

Onwards and upwards now to the ODI series.

Series stats:

I definitely believe that Elton Chigumbura was Zimbabwe's man of the series.

Comment

The ODI Series

It had been a really tough test series and now we have to compete in the limited overs format.

This is our squad:

Captan

Brendan Taylor

Batsmen
      Hamilton Masakadza
      Vusimuzi Sibanda
      Samuel Mwakayeni
      Malcolm Waller
      Craig Ervine

Wicket Keepers
      Kevin Kasuza

All-Rounders
      Elton Chigumbura
      Sean Williams
      Timycen Maruma

Bowlers
      Brian Vitori
      Ray Price
      Edward Rainsford
      S Masakadaza
      Tendai Chatara

1st ODI, Bulawayo

No change here – I lost the toss and was asked to bat.
      Zimbabwe Innings:
      Despite losing captain Taylor early on, we got off to a good start 55-1 off 10 overs, Sibanda flying with 32* off 25. Half way through and we are 110-2, Sibanda went not long after the powerplay finished, but now the emphasis is with Sean Williams who is holding it all together. Williams reaches 50 after 62 balls!
      30th over and we are 148-2, Williams 66* and Ervine 33* and the batting powerplay taken. The 5 overs go for 30 with no wicket falling. Ervine goes for 43 off 70 balls and in comes Malcom Waller. Williams crashes a boundary to go to a CENTURY!
      However, wickets tumble as we go for broke, Williams gone for 109 and we are 248-8 off our allotted overs.

Bangladesh Innings:
      Cigumbura and Vitori make early inroads into the Bangladeshi order, but Vitori goes for 20 off the 10th over and Bangladesh are 62-2. 10 overs of spin go for 49 runs, picking up 1 wickets. After twenty overs, Bangladesh are 111-2.
      Centurion Williams is doing fantastically well as he and Maruma restrict Bangladesh to 144-4 off 30 overs.
      It turned out to be a false down though, Bangladesh cruise to a win with 5 wickets to spare and 5 overs left. This is going to be a tough career!

MATCH RESULT

Name:	1st ODI SC.jpg
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	53192

Positives:
      Williams century was fantastic, as was his ten overs of spin.
      Negatives:
      The batting collapsed after the 40th over and we fell about what I thought was 20 runs short, or what turned out to be a lot more.

Comment

Second ODI, Harare

Edward Rainsford comes in for Ray Price, but that is the only change.
        I’ve done it! No, I’ve not got my first victory, I’ve won a toss! We will bowl first, let us see if the boys can chase rather than defend!

Bangladesh Innings:
        Bangladesh off to a cracking start yet again, 61-0 off their first ten overs. Half way through their innings and they are 142-1, Rainsford picking up the only wicket so far, it could be a big chase for us. I turned to spin but not much was happening. Worst of all, Iqbal is flying with 85* off 71.
        Their batting powerplay not all that good, 27-3, but they are still 204-4 off 40 overs and a good platform to attack the last ten overs.
        Attack they do! Penultemate over, 288-6, Vitori takes three wickets in an over, second time that has happened for me! They are 293 all out, they got away from me again!
        On the plus side, Vitori takes a fifer, 5-46!

Zimbabwe Innings:
        Same as always, Taylor and Sibanda to open. Nervous about how to approach this, are my team capable of launching an assault or will they crumble.
        They get Sibanda early as he goes for 5. Our first ten overs can only be described as ‘steady.’ 43-1. In the 16th over of the game, captain Taylor goes for 41 off 37. 83-2. Williams departs with the score on 94.
        Half way through and we are 130-4 with Waller and Maskadaza at the crease, the run rate is rather high!
        27-0 off our powerplay, Waller going along steadily on 60* and Kasuza on 27*, but it’s time to go pretty aggressive with the run rate at 8.5 rpo.
        We finish 253-6, Waller unbeaten on 82.
        We lost by 40 runs.
        Bangladesh lead the 3 match series 2-0.

Positives:
        Waller once again showed his metal even if it was in a losing cause. Vitori bowled brilliantly in his ten overs!

Negatives:
        The bowling is very expensive and the batsmen are very inconsistent.

Name:	2nd ODI Sc.jpg
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	53193

3rd and final ODI

I’m 2-0 down and not having the best of starts to my international career, it really has been a struggle. Making no changes to the team that lost by 40 runs, they’ve got to get the victory.
        Back to normal, I’ve lost the toss and been asked to bowl first.

Bangladesh Innings:
        We finally got off to a good start in an ODI! An early run out and two Chigumbura wickets leaves Bangladesh struggling on 40-3 off the first ten overs.
        Bangladesh mount a recovery operation and are 104-4 off 25 overs. The bowlers will have to keep this run rate down to give us any chance. A very good powerplay for Bangladesh 41-0 off their 5 overs and they are now 178-5 off their 40 overs, no doubt going to push on now. Perhaps bowled one too many overs of spin, the penultimate over of the powerplay, bowled by Williams went for 16!
        The death bowling is shocking, they do get away, 288-8.

Zimbabwe:
        Off to a flying start! 71-1 off the first ten overs. Sibanda the man out, 36 off 30. Taylor goes with the score at 92-2, but Ervine comes in and keeps the momentum going, 155 needed off 30 overs.
        25 overs gone and we are 155-3, Ervine still going well and Malcom Waller is in to prop up the innings. Ervine gets his half century at exactly a run a ball. He hits a few more boundaries and with the score at 200-3 the batting powerplay has to be taken. Ervine goes! A splendid knock, 64 off 60 balls.
        Waller now has to take the emphasis and so he does! He hits 4 boundaries in a row and his half century comes up off 54 balls. 31-1 off our batting powerplay. We now need 55 runs to win from the final ten overs. It’s getting tense!

Now Masakadaza gets in on the action with some lusty hitting, 20* off just 16, the win is a real possibility now.
        Masakadaza goes without adding anymore, still comfortable. We need 25 off 6 overs. Oh dear, a wicket maiden and Kasuza goes with yet another poor performance. 25 off 5

AND THERE IT IS! My first victory as Zimbabwe boss. Chigumbura looked assured and confident as he hit most of the 25 needed. He finishes 16* off 11.
        Waller deserves applause too as he finishes unbeaten on 76!

3rd ODI

Name:	3rd ODI Score.jpg
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	53195

First winning scorecard

Name:	First winning scorecard.jpg
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	53194

Series Stats:

Name:	ODI Stats.jpg
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	53196

It is hard to look past Malcom Waller, in fact, I can’t he is my man of the series!

Concluding thoughts:
        Overall, a really tough start and that was with a home series to the closest ranked team to us. It is going to be a long hard struggle. I’ve learned that Waller is a fantastic players as is Chigumbura, but the rest of the team are pretty average.
        I was also disappointed with the performance of Brendan Taylor. I thought there would be a lot from him, but he got starts and never went on, I’m hoping for better!

Comment

The T20 Series

1st T20, Harare

I really struggle with the T20s so not looking forward to this!
          Sibanda is dropped and Kasuza is promoted to open. Justice Chibhaba is brought in to bat as well.

We lost the toss and were made to bowl first.

Bangladesh Innings:
          Oh dear, Iqbal smashed 71 off 39 and Al Hasan hit 66 off 29. Williams took 3 wickets, but it his economy rate was awful, as was all my bowlers. They got to 209-6

Zimbabwe Innings:
          Lets move on quickly!

Name:	T20 1st.jpg
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	53197

2nd T20, Harare

Rainsford and Vitori brought in to the pace attack instead of Chatura and Maruma.
          We won the toss and will bat first.

Zimbabwe Innings:
          Good start as Taylor hits 50 off just 35 balls. We reach 144-7. Taylor finally played well with a good 74.

Bangladesh:
          Don’t hold out much hope for this.
          We’ve actually bowled really, really well. Ten overs gone and they are 71-2.
          They need 11 off the last two overs, it’s going to need something epic. Brilliant over from Vitori, only 5 from it.
          Bangladesh need 6 off the last over, Chigumbura to bowl it. Get in, 3 runs from 1 ball. He hits it and it’s a run out, ZIMBABWE WIN! Brilliant bowling.

Positives:
          Over the two matches Brendan Taylor finally hit a good score, a captain’s knock that got us a victory! Once again, Shane Williams was fantastic 74 runs and 5 wickets.

Negatives:
          The fast bowlers were terrible and perhaps Malcom Waller isn’t a t20 player!

Match state

Name:	2nd T20.jpg
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	53198

The T20 Stats

Name:	t20 stats.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	53199

Man of the series:
          Sean Williams - Would have loved to give it to the captain, Taylor, but Williams worked his socks off for his runs and wickets. And it helped us not lose a series!

Next up, we face Sri Lanka at home, 2 tests,3 ODIs and 2 T20s. This could be a long series for us!

Comment

Sri Lanka in Bangladesh

This is the line up for the first test in Bulawayo

Name:	1st Test Line Up.jpg
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	53200

Day 1
            I won the toss and chose to bat first.

Disaster! Taylor edges the very first ball behind to Chandimal.
            We are going along steady now, with Sibanda and Ervine keeping us in there, with Sibanda fast reaching a half century. We are 88-2 at lunch.
            Sibanda gets 50 off 91 balls with 8 fours. Ervine hits a cover drive to bring up his half century and also the 100 partnership with SIbanda. 136-2
            Kulasekara breaks the partnership after a rash shot from Ervine, in strides Malcom Waller, who doesn’t last long, gone for 5! 144-4. We are 188-4 at tea and Sibanda is not out on 87.
            There we go, Sibanda brings up his first test century off 204 balls and not long after Mwakayeni gets to his half-century! Sri Lanka take the new ball and the second hundred partnership is brought up, 244-4.
            Close of play 294-5. We lost Mwakayeni for a well played 71 and Sibanda is 133*.

Day 2
            Incredible stuff, Sibanda is now 150*!
            At lunch on Day 2, Zimbabwe are 391-6 and Sibanda is now 188* and he is joined at the crease by Elton Chigumbura.

Sibanda smashes a massive six to bring up his double century! 204* with 24 fours and 2 sixes.
            There he goes, Herath has got him! 208, what a fantastic innings! The tail end does not hang around and we are 445 all out.
            Sri Lanka reach 150-2 at the end of Day 2, Rainsford and Chigumbura picking up the wickets.

Day 3
            Mufudza making his test debut gets his first ever wicket and it’s a big one, Jayawardene. They are 290-4 at lunch. They reach 430-6 by tea, they are really thundering along now!
            They are all out for 533, Chigumbura taking 4-81 and Rainsford 3-105.
            Sri Lanka lead by 88 and we have 13 minutes of the day left to see out. So we do, 10-0.

Day 4
            At lunch, we are 104-3, a lead of 16 and Sibanda is not out on 45. Another 50 for Sibanda, he brings it up off 127 balls.
            At tea we are 190-5, lead by 102, we lost Waller and Mwakayeni . Sibanda now on 72*.
            226-5 and Sri Lanka take the new ball. The new ball is actually working good for us, they’re easily getting bat on ball and it is racing away, Masakadaza brings up his half century.
            There it is! Back-to-back centuries for Sibanda! Sibanda goes with 2 overs left, and he went for 107 as we are 279-6.

Day 5
            Just before lunch and we are 340 all out and Sri Lanka require 253, they have just two sessions to do it. They are 48-2 off 14 overs, Chigumbura and Mufudza taking the wickets.
            They are 81-5 now, Mufudza having an awesome debut!
            They are 225-9! They need 28 and we need just the one wicket to make history. Mufudza has taken a fifer on debut!
            Chigumbura does it! 226 all out, we win by 27 runs! My first test victory!

Sri Lankan scorecard

Name:	226 all out.jpg
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	53201

Match State

Name:	1st Test SL MS.jpg
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	53202

Positives: Simply put, Sibanda.

Negatives: I refuse to find any for this match!

Comment

The Second Test

This is the second and final test of the series, I'm 1-0 up and if I can hold out here I will win a test series against Sri Lanka!

Unsurprisingly, I’ve kept the same team that won the first test match by 27 runs.
              Having won the toss in overhead conditions, captain Taylor decided to bowl first.
              The decision to bowl first was justified as Sri Lanka reach 124-4 at lunch, Angelo Matthews is 66* though and that is worrying. They reach 232-5 at tea, Chigumbura got rid of Matthews on 87.
              End of Day 1 and they have really got away from us, 353-6.

Day 2
              Just before lunch on Day 2 and we bowl them out, they got to 445 with the incredible Chandimal getting 157. The young off-spinner Mufudza was the pick of the bowlers 4-125, he’s had a decent start to his test career.
              My openers have done superb, a wicketless session for Sri Lanka as they see out the new ball at 113-0. Taylor on 63* and Sibanda 47*
              Opening partnership of 153 as Sibanda goes for 59.
              It takes Taylor 152 balls to get to his third test century, fantastic captain’s knock!
              Williams goes for 12 with 4 overs left, Vitori is sent in as night-watchmen. He does his job as at the close of Day 2 at 202-2 with Taylor 122*, his best test score.

Day 3
              They remove Vitori early, but Talyor is still proving to be a thorn in their side. 23 boundaries for him in this remarkable knock of 153*
              GOT HIM! Fernando clean bowls captain Taylor for a remarkable 174. Lunch on Day 3 and we are 324-4. Waller and Ervine at the crease.
              A few overs after lunch and Ervine gets his second test fifty. Now, with the score at 374-4, Waller brings up his fifty, third in tests , off just 65 balls.
              Waller goes for a good 67 and we trail Sri Lanka by just 32 runs.
              We are 440-5 at tea, and we trail by 5, Ervine marching on towards a century. He gets his second test century and no more as we are bowled out for 477 with a lead of 32!

Day 4
              At the beginning of the day, Sri Lanka have a lead of 6 runs!
              They are 141-0 at lunch and I’m starting to feel a tad worried! They march on to 255-2 at tea. The new ball brings us nothing and they reach the end of day 4 on 362-4 with a lead of 330!

Day 5
              They declare at 378-4. We need 347 to win. It seems we have to hold out for a draw.
              We lose 3 wickets in the first session, both openers go early as we are 16-2. But a bit of a recovery and we reach lunch with 78-3.
              Two sessions we need 269 and they need 7 wickets.
              Williams gets yet another half century but we are struggling on 133-5. Mwakeyeni also goes to his third half century and it’s come quick too, off just 56 balls.
              At tea, we are 187-5. Williams 80* and Mwakeyeni is 56*. We need 160 and they need 5 wickets, we will have to survive!
              Sean Wlliams gets his second test century! A record partnership of 165!
              It’s a draw, an amazing partnership between Williams (137*) and Mwakeyeni (87*) 277-5

We win the test series against Sri Lanka! 1-0

Match State

Name:	2nd Test SL MS.jpg
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	53218

Here are the series stats

Name:	SL Test Stats.jpg
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	53219

Man of the series: Sibanda. Incredible batting display, a century and a double hundred! Another shout out to Mufudza who took 11 wickets in his first two ever test matches!

Comment

ODI Series

Squad
                Captain:
                B Taylor

Batsmen:
                V Sibanda
                C Ervine
                M Waller
                S Mwakayeni
                H Masakadaza
                S Raza
                T Mawoyo (New)

All-Rounders
                S Williams
                E Chigumbura

Bowlers
                B Vitori
                E Rainsford
                T Mufudza
                S Masakadaza
                G Cremer

1st ODI, Harare

Having as per usual, lost the toss, I was asked to bowl first.

Sri Lanka Innings:
                Rainsofrd removed Dilshan early, before he could do too much damage, but the Sri Lankan top order was going at a good pace. The spinners, Cremer and Williams had prevented the Sri Lankans from hitting their usual heights, 134-4 off 35 overs.
                Sri Lanka were bowled out for 211 with the superb ‘abra’ Masakadaza taking 5-29

Zimbabwe Innings:
                We got off to a very good start, 51-1 off the first 10 overs, the highlight being Sibanda flicking Malinga for six, though that only angered the slinger and he was out next ball.
                40 overs and 178-6, Malcom Waller is left to get the next 34 runs with the tail. Waller went for 40, but Masakadaza and Cremer saw us home to a two wicket victory!

Match State

Name:	1ST odi sl.jpg
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	53238

2nd ODI, Harare

I kept my team unchanged and so did Sri Lanka, this was a big match!
                It was captain Brendan Taylor’s turn to win a toss and having done so, he decided to bowl first again.

Sri Lanka Innings:
                55-0 off their opening 10 overs and my bowlers have not threatened once! Vitori takes the important wickets of Dilshan and Matthews, but the pace of the Sri Lankans is great and they carry on racing away at nearly 7 runs an over.
                With 10 overs left, Sri Lanka have a great platform, 228-4
                They finish 291-9, Rainsford and Masakadaza gave it their all. Too much to chase I feel.

Zimbabwe Innings:
                Captain Taylor with a nonsensical poke is caught first ball.
                With both openers gone, we’re struggling at 28-2 off 10 overs. We’ve crumbled to 40-5! Even the Stone Waller is gone! Chigbumbura and Mwayakeni put up sone resistance as we get to 101-5.
                Not much else though as we are bowled out for 132.
                That was a proper spanking!

Match State

Name:	2nd ODI Sl.jpg
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	53239

3rd and Final ODI, Bulawayo

Off-Spinner, Mufudza comes in for Cremer.
                Sri Lanka win the toss and put us into bat first.

Zimbabwe Innings:
                Disastrous opening 10 overs as we crumble to 46-5. 86-5 off 20 overs, I think we needed at least 250 to have any chance of defending on this pitch though and that score is a long, long way off.
                Craig Ervine gets his seventh ODI half-century.
                All out for 171.

Sri Lankan Innings
                Opening bowlers try their hardest as Sri Lanka are 32-2 off their first 10 overs.
                Oh dear, 173-2.
                Sri Lanka win by 8 wickets and take the series.

Match State

Name:	3rd ODI Sl.jpg
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	53240

Sri Lanka take the series 2-1. It was great start for us and in a way, getting one victory over Sri Lanka was pretty impressive!

Series Stats

Name:	SL ODI STATS.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	53241

These stats do not make good reading for the Zimbabwean team. However, Masakadaza was the one shining light, taking 9 wickets at 13.44.

Comment

Working...
                X