Introduce yourself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduce yourself

Seeing as some of us post so regularly here, it would be nice to know a little bit about everyone perhaps? Where are you from? Do you play cricket etc?

I was born in Port Elizabeth in South Africa and grew up in SA, Thailand, Italy and the UK. I currently live between the UK and SA, watching a lot of cricket and playing whenever I can!

I spent some years at school in the UK as a teenager, where I played minor county cricket for Avon under 12s - under 16s (now BANES). I remember being knocked all over the park one match as a teenager by Hildreth and Suppiah as I attempted to tame my frequently wild leg spin!

At school and club level I used to open but at minor county level number 9 was more appropriate; I dread to think how hard the next step up would have been (impossible for me I'm pretty sure!).

I support the Warriors in SA, Somerset in England, South Africa and I also like England to win (just not against us!)

How about you guys?

I was born in Chennai (Madras) in India, and currently live in USA due to work commitments. I have only played street cricket (played in the streets, unused residential plots next to my house , open space near our office) along with my friends and cousins.

I like keeping and I am also a decent close in fielder despite being over weight. I bat dreadfully and bowl slow looping deliveries and pray they reach the batsman without pitching more than once. Only way I get wickets is if batsman out of frustration that the ball is taking ages to reach him, hits the wicket himself.

I support Indian Cricket Team and all other associate nations like Ireland, Afganisthan, Netherland etc, when they don't play against India. I also support Tamilnadu in Ranji Trophy and Chennai Super Kings in IPL.

And I am a great fan of Rahul Dravid, and always proud that I saw him making a wonderful century live even before he made his India debut, in the Ranji Trophy Finals against my home state Tamilnadu in 1996.

Comment

I was born in Lincoln, England, and live there whilst I'm not at university. Otherwise I'm about to start my last year at the University of Leicester, studying History and Politics.

I regard myself as a bit of an all-rounder, and played club cricket for a local club, up until a couple of years ago. I've not played much since, just the odd couple of society matches, but I like to practice when I have the time.

I support my local county, Lincolnshire but since they dropped Minor Counties from the cup, I've lost track a little. I also keep an keen eye on Nottinghamshire, who are the nearest county team to me, and I have been to Trent Bridge a few times to see Notts play. The first match I watched up there was Notts vs Kent, back in the days when Steven Fleming was playing there. Living in Leicester during term time as well means I keep an eye on Leicestershire, and was planning to watch England A at Grace Road, but an exam got in the way!

I support England, but I keep a keen eye on the associates as well, and would like to see a couple of them rise up into the Test arena in the future.
      Nottinghamshire supporter and proud!

Comment

I live in Lancing, Sussex when it's not term time, and am at the University of Southampton doing Psychology (the dream of being a cricket journalist or commentator of some variety has long since dissipated!) when it is, having finished my first year in June. I'm a Sussex fan and limited overs member of the club, so I'm down at Hove (if you prefer, the BrightonandHoveJobs.com County Ground) whenever time allows and there's a game on. Although most time at the ground is spent being nervous about hordes of overhead seagulls. I also half-heartedly support whatever T20 team Luke Wright is playing for at any given moment!

I haven't played cricket in any competitive way since the end of soft ball games when I was about 10, as shelling out for all the equipment at once wasn't something we were prepared to do, so my wristy shots square of the wicket and reliably unreliable right medium pacers have fallen by the wayside somewhat! The last time I played, last summer, I was helping out with a coaching course for 7-10 year olds and one of them got me first ball when I top-edged my signature pull! Needless to say, they enjoyed that...

Comment

I live in Auckland, New Zealand.

I started playing cricket in my teens, initially as an opening batsman, eventually as an opening bowler (bowling off the wrong foot like Lance Cairns did).

Once I left school, I played club cricket at both Papatoetoe and Manurewa.
          My fondest memory from training was bowling Gary Troup in the grass nets with a fast inswinging yorker.

Now I'm in my 50s and no longer play, as I wrecked the medial ligament in my knee playing cricket when I was younger.

I enjoy playing sports management games and writing the occasional story/diary.
          Here's one of the better known ones:
          Fussball Manager 11 / FM11 im Test • Das Spiele Review zum Onlinespiel Fussball Manager 11 / FM11 ✓ ohne Download ✓ kostenlos ✓ Jetzt Fussball Manager 11 / FM11 spielen!

My main interest these days is computer chess and I'm one of the founding members of the CCRL testing group:

Comment

I was born in Birmingham and still live here now. I play cricket for Four Oaks Saints Cricket Club in The Warwickshire Premier League.
            I started my career as a 10 year old Shane Warne but have more recently turned into an opening batsman although I did get my first wicket for a long time a couple of weeks ago with a bamboozling leg spinner which got us an extra point in a losing cause.
            One of our overseas pro's this season is Ryan Ervine (Brother of Craig and Sean) who is a very good cricketer. Oh and by the way I'm 20 so still a long way to go with my cricketing career hopefully

Comment

I was born in New Plymouth and live just outside there now. I started playing cricket when I was seven and played until I went to university.
              Through high school I was a opening batsman, but ended up a bowler when I started playing club (combination of getting a lot better at bowling and getting the yips with batting).
              I've lived in South Korea and the UK.
              I support Central Districts and the Black caps, but enjoy watching any cricket.
              Currently I am a high school teacher and coach rugby on the weekends. I am hoping to take over the cricket coaching position in the next couple of years as I think the current coach will step down soon.
              I enjoy playing all kinds of games.

Comment

Originally posted by cardassian View Post
                ....I am a high school teacher.
                LOL - me too!

Comment

@DaveK93 - I was at Leicester, graduated last year. Did you play at uni at all?

Comment

I was born in Hartford, Connecticut in USA. I moved to Bangladesh (where my parents where born) at 3 before finally settling in UK from age 9 onwards. I currently live in Ashington, a village in West Sussex.

I'm only 18 now so my cricketing career is only beginning. I had a cricket scholarship at King's College Taunton but that's all done with now as I've finished school. I'm on a gap year and will be going to Sussex Uni next year studying Economics. I play for Preston Nomads and it's fair to say they are totally dominant in the premier league and have been for many years now!

I'm not good enough to play for the 1sts yet but recently scored a big ton for the 2nds (which is a fairly decent standard) so playing my second game for the 1sts this Saturday. Nerves.....
                    But in general, I love watching and playing cricket. From a young age when I had no idea what I wanted to be, cricket always came to mind as a profession. Although I know it's not possible now, I still aim to at least play regular Prem league cricket.

Also, I wanted to mention, my club faced Chichester Priory Park last week which contained Ashton Turner (the guy who Australia have picked out of nowhere for the match against Sussex). He's averaging 50+ in the league but dear god, I hope the Aussies haven't picked him as an alrounder as he's averaging 40 with the ball, surely an 'international' standard alrounder shouldn't be performing that poorly with the ball! Shows what the standard of Aus spinners has come to.

Comment

Originally posted by bnd3 View Post
                      @DaveK93 - I was at Leicester, graduated last year. Did you play at uni at all?
                      Apart from a game for the history society, unfortunately not. Hoping I can sort something out this year though
                      Nottinghamshire supporter and proud!

Comment

Good thread.

I was born and raised in Melbourne, Australia (Mum and Dad are Sri Lankan), finished my Masters last year. Have spent hours playing ICC from when I was first told about it in 2001.

I played a bit of rep cricket as a kid, never took it too seriously, did a full pre-season with Hawthorn-Monash (Premier Cricket club) when I was 18, but preferred to enjoy my cricket with my mates so went back to my local Club which plays in a pretty decent standard.
                        I'd like to think of myself as a decent middle-order bat who prefers to score at a run-a-ball (none of the Trott anti-flair!!)

Considered going back to Premier and give cricket one last decent crack but did my knee in May so have to curb for another season.

Used to support Australia one-eyed but now (I think with age) I'm an 'appreciator of good cricket' (probably until Australia dominate again).
                        The Cult Of Personality

Comment

Originally posted by Imager36 View Post
                          (if you prefer, the BrightonandHoveJobs.com County Ground)
                          Nope, I don't prefer

Always will be Hove. I've worked there in the past, for a season, good place and really nice bunch of people. Not been there (or outgrounds) for a while, may have to find a game towards the end of the season!

Comment

I'm a Sydney-sider living in the USA (Philadelphia) for a couple of years while I get a Masters degree.

I haven't played outdoor cricket since I smashed my finger up about 15 years ago, but back then I was a slow swing bowler who once managed to make 3 ducks in three innings during a 2 match finals series as an opener.

I've been playing ICC since about 2005 I think and love trying to get as far along a career as possible. I think I took Lancs to about 2060 in one save.. I'm a NSW and Australian fan, but I like West Indies and NZ saves on the game for a bit of a challenge, or Gloucs and Glamorgan in county cricket (though Jason Gillespie is getting me on the Yorks bandwagon at the moment).

Comment

Hi ,
                              I'm Anjula Ratnayaka ( Ratnayaka Mudiyanselage Anjula Swarnitha Bandara Ratnayaka :P ),
                              currently 15 and lives in Alawwa , Sri Lanka

I'm a bowling all-rounder who bowls very good off-spin and little decent with the bat. I'm bowl faster than the other off-spinners than my local club and still manages to flight the ball. Oh, And I'm 5 feet 7.

I support Sri Lanka mainly, But also a big fan of SA , NZ and ENG. Also supports Ireland. I follow Sri Lankan Domestic cricket very closely. As for my Favorite players, I love Sangakkara , Chandimal , AB De Villiers , Steyn , Robin Peterson and Akila Dananjaya.

Comment

Working...
                              X