Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gloucestershire - That Elusive Championship (Story)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DaveK93 View Post
    So glad I got the chance to read this. Keeping me going while I do all the background prep ready for my ICC14 story.

Edit: "The Event" is my favourite part. Love the reference!
    Haha, thanks... I think the next story will have a little more dramatic content in it, without being over the top silly like that one! I have an idea in mind, I'll just have to sim through a few seasons to see if it could work in a different game...

Comment

• Originally posted by Imager36 View Post
      Haha, thanks... I think the next story will have a little more dramatic content in it, without being over the top silly like that one! I have an idea in mind, I'll just have to sim through a few seasons to see if it could work in a different game...
      Haha, sounds interesting! Trying to break away from my usual ground this year, just got to hope that the challenge is doable!
      Nottinghamshire supporter and proud!

Comment

• Sorry, Off topic question here

When should i bowl a bowler on very aggressive ? And should i only use F bowlers for this ?

Comment

• Originally posted by DaveK93 View Post
          Haha, sounds interesting! Trying to break away from my usual ground this year, just got to hope that the challenge is doable!
          I look forward to it! You normally do well, so I'm sure you'll have no problems.

Originally posted by Ranga View Post
          Sorry, Off topic question here

When should i bowl a bowler on very aggressive ? And should i only use F bowlers for this ?
          Oooh... I never do, personally, unless I have a mass of runs to play with and a team to swiftly bowl out. I'd also be more likely to use it with a spinner, actually, on one of those day 4/5 pitches that is turning all over the place. I'm no expert though, so some other opinions on this would be great! Always happy to invade the thread with tips etc.

As well as this, I lied in my last post. I said no changes, but on a second look today I've decided to make a change to the XI, with William Porter, the 23 year old keeper, replacing the out-of-sorts Kieran Lynn at number 6, and taking the gloves from a heavily burdened Chris Dent. Irwin also moves to number 4, and ten Doeschate down to number 5.

Unfortunately, the changes didn't stop a rather abject performance.

We won the toss! HOORAY! And batted! HOORAY! Cockbain and Price went with the score on 13. NOT-SO-HOORAY! Dent and Irwin made a small recovery to 71/2, but the rest of the innings panned out that way... Those two got starts, and Tendo and Porter did as well, but none of them went on to post the 70+ score we needed to turn this into a half-decent innings. The tail fell away as Saxelby had to retire hurt, and we were falling away.

Essex were 72/2 at our best spell of their innings, but the fantastic Jaques rather took the game away from us, scoring only 61 less than our entire innings had mustered on his own. Half centuries from Westley and Malkin played supporting roles, with our seam attack one man down as Saxelby couldn't bowl. Pete Thomas actually coped fairly well with the extra responsibility, but only got one wicket for his efforts, as Dockrell had to send down 44 overs as the only man who looked threatening half the time. He managed good figures for his exertion though, picking up 6 wickets and being pretty economical to boot.

Second time round we did bat better, although having not managed to would have been more of a surprise. It didn't look like it for a while, as we fell to 59/3 without troubling Essex, but Irwin and Tendo put on 87 together, and Porter came in after that and really pushed his case for more common inclusion next year, especially batting with Thomas and the tail.

The total would never be enough, but we weren't expecting them to knock them off with such panache, Norwell going at 1.9 an over and the others being carted around for over 4.5 each!

Championship State Well, we finish second, 34 points ahead of Glamorgan. I'll do this in more detail in the next post!
          Batting Award Will Porter - Top scored in both innings, made over 100 runs and was only out once!
          Bowling Award George Dockrell - Very good first innings performance. Also, everyone else was pants.
          So, what's next? I... I don't even remember. Let me check back a few pages. AH!

Well, I'll do a season review, and then if I'm feeling brave, we'll progress into 2016 and Division 1! Probably with a less exciting contracts update than usual!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ranga View Post
            Sorry, Off topic question here

I use full aggression when bowling against the tail - anyone with an average of less than 10

Comment

Working...
            X