Australian Greats vs West Indies Greats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Greats vs West Indies Greats

Arguably the two greatest teams in history come out of retirement to play a 5 match series. Manager and coach of Australia, Kiran is very impressed with his team's progress. The 1st test will be played at North Sydney Oval, the 2nd in Hobart, the 3rd in Brisbane at the Gabba, the 4th at the MCG and the final test at the SCG. The squads are as follows.

The first test will begin shortly. The XI's will be announced soon.
    Last edited by KGKOOLKAT777; 07-14-2013, 12:10 AM.

Teams

Australia have won the toss and will bat first.

Comment

A terrible start for Australia. The 4 West Indian bowlers really tied Australia down and had them in disarray at stumps. Ambrose got the edge of Bannerman to Garner at slip early on. Ponsford and Bradman steadied the ship after the early loss with a well played 69 run partnership. Ponsford fell straight after lunch and Bradman clipped Ambrose to short midwicket where Roberts took an easy catch. Then I decided to shut down completely Border managed 2 off 26 before Roberts knocked his stumps out of the ground. Cowper and Chappell managed a 60 run partnership with runs flowing off Chappell's bat well before Roberts returned to get the nick from Cowper straight to the keeper. Cowper departed just when he was starting to look good for 18 off 83 balls. With only an hour of play left I decided to give Davidson a run as night-watchman but that didn't last long with Roberts smacking his pads in front on 3. I then had 3 options, I could send in O'Reilly and risk him getting out easily, I could send in Gilchrist or I could send in Miller. I opted for the latter. He and Chappell saw out the day without any more fuss but Australia will have some work to do if they want to stay in the test.

Comment

Oops, sorry forgot to do day 2. First Miller and Chappell survived another 25 overs slowly grinding out the runs before Chappell fell to yet another screaming Roberts yorker (I now feel for the people who had to play him IRL) Gilchrist came and went with a 2nd ball duck to yet another Roberts stump-uprooting ball. That gave him 5. I decided to push Miller's aggression up seeing as he was settled and only Spofforth to come. This produced disasterous results as Sobers came into the attack and trapped him in front instantly. O'Reilly and Spofforth held out for a while but eventually we folded for 233. However just when you thought they were in front O'Reilly and Spofforth ripped through their top order to have them in big trouble at 4-78. But Lloyd and Davis set about their business with a 68 run stand before the reintroduction off Davidson produced the wicket off Davis. Lloyd hung around with Worrell for a while before falling to a good catch at slip off the legspinner, O'Reilly. Worrell hung around with the tail and while Davidson was ripping through the lower order at the other end Worrell stood strong taking a particular liking to the legspin. He finally was left stranded on 96 as WI folded for 300. A sizeable lead that would need some chasing from Australia. Bannerman fell early before the unthinkable wicket of Bradman occured 1 minute before lunch! Marshall got the edge from Bradman straight to Garner at slip. Ponsford and Chappell put on 40 before Garner had Ponsford caught on the ring. Border and Chappell then put on an unbeaten 91 to see them through to stumps. Australia will need to build on their 81 run lead.

Comment

In the end a annoying but probably fair draw. I decided I will do 2 day updates rather than 1. Border and Chappell furthered the partnership to 167 before Chappell got a brute from Marshall on 118. Border then put on a few with Cowper before Cowper fell for Sobers got Cowper caught at slip. Border then put on 100 with Davidson before falling to Garner for a well made 135. Davidson then continued on with Gilchrist for a 62 run partnership. I then noticed there was only 30 mins left on the 4th day so frantically I put everyone on full aggression. That led to a flurry of wickets and some quick runs from Gilchrist before we closed and left the West Indies chasing 395. I then had them 91-5 at lunch and in a great position to win. However Walcott and Worrell didn't let me take another wicket as the match ended in a draw. Oh well. 0-0.

Awards: O'Reilly, Border, Chappell and Davidson
          Reprimands: Bannerman, Cowper
          MoM:Chappell
          Opposition Awards: Roberts, Worrell, Marshall, Ambrose, Walcott

Comment

Scorecards

Comment

2nd Test

For Australia, Miller, Cowper, Bannerman and Gilchrist drop out and Langer, Walters, Noble and Lindwall come in

For West Indies, Lloyd, Sobers, Ambrose and Garner drop out and Lara, Headley, Holding and Croft come in.

West Indies have won the toss and will bat first

Comment

We got off to a great start nabbing Greenidge early. Davis, Sir Viv and Worrell were frustrating but the consistency of O'Reilly and the return of Spofforth brought about a collapse. Spofforth got 4 wickets in a spell with the 2nd new ball knocking over the tail and eventually Headley who provided a classy 74 at 7. Roberts and Holding blocked out the last 3 overs leaving us frustrated that we have to bowl again tomorrow.

Note: We get Holding first ball of the next day. WHY???!!!!

Comment

No Glenn McGrath, Ricky Ponting or Shane Warne in the squad!?! :O

Comment

On the back of outstanding performances by Bradman and Border we got to 311. A small lead but enough. Spofforth and O'Reilly then ripped through the top order. Davidson broke down and is injured but we have cover. Greenidge was a lone fighter scoring a gritty 81. Then Headley and Lara started to get into their stride but O'Reilly struck just before the new ball removing Headley. Then Spofforth returned and with the new ball he ripped through the tail. WI finished on 283 with Lara unbeaten on 65. We need 239 to win.

Comment

What can I say. It rained.

Comment

Comment

3rd Test

For Australia, Walters, Davidson, Lindwall and Noble drop out and Gilchrist, Cowper, Miller and Turner come in.

For WI, Croft drops out and Walsh comes in

Australia have won the toss and will bat first.

Comment

The first day saw Australia finish slightly ahead. Ponsford fell early but Langer and Bradman chugged along at a good rate to put on 70 before Langer fell with 1 minute to until lunch. After lunch Bradman looked very good but he fell to a brilliant ball from Roberts and an even better catch from Walcott. That brought the two heroes of the series, Border and Chappell to the crease. They didn't disappoint either putting on 86 before Chappell got a brute from Walsh and was trapped in front for 55. Gilchrist tried to slog Marshall out of the ground and fell for 11, stumps uprooted. Border and Cowper put on a good stand of 88 before Cowper fell for 45 with 4 overs left until the close of play. I sent in nightwatchman Turner and he carefully negotiated those 4 overs until stumps. Border finished on 87 and will be looking to score his century and more. 329-6 probably leaves Australia slightly ahead but on a good surface if WI can pick up 4 quick wickets they are still very much in this game.

Comment

Day 3 saw the Aussies cement their position and they will go into the 4th day as firm favourites for the match. WI picked up the last 4 wickets reasonably quickly and with half an hour before lunch at them O'Reilly struck bowling a beautiful legspinner to knock over Greenidge. Davis edged Turner to Cowper at slip to leave them precariously placed at lunch. Richards and Worrell steadied the ship but the introduction of Miller into the attack, his first over being a double wicket maiden getting them both out left them in disarray. Walcott came out and played a blinder. Ably supported by Lara (33) and Walsh (35) he knocked the legspinner, O'Reilly and opening bowler Turner to all parts of the ground in the evening session. When Turner was getting smashed by Walsh of all people I should have brought back Spofforth but for some stupid reason I continued to bowl Turner and this gave negative consequences. We still managed a lead of over 50 but after seeing their top order collapse I was looking for more. The next day, we began very defensively before Langer and Ponsford fell in quick succession but Bradman and Chappell put on a 94 run stand (starting to notice a pattern) to keep us going. With Border to come and the forecast for the next few days good, I like our chances.

Comment

Working...
                              X