Unable to open game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to open game

I've just bought, downloaded and installed the game but when I click on the icon to open the game nothing happens. I have clicked it many times and right clicked "Run as Administrator" but nothing seems to work to open the game. I have Windows 7 on my computer so it should be compatible. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be happening and what I can do to run it? Thanks so much!

Hi,

Can you do the following:

Windows Vista/7

Press the Windows button
    Click on Control Panel
    Click on System Security
    Click on System
    Click on Advanced System Settings
    Click on the Advanced tab and under Performance select Settings.
    Click on the Data Execution Prevention tab.
    Ensure the button next to Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.
    Click on Add and locate to the International Cricket Captain 2013 executable, which can be found at default (file path may vary): C:\ProgramFiles\ChildishThings\InternationalCricke tCaptain2013\Cricket

Windows Vista/7

Press the Windows button
    Click on Control Panel
    Click on System Security
    Click on System
    Click on Advanced System Settings
    Click on the Advanced tab and under Performance select Settings.
    Click on the Data Execution Prevention tab.
    Ensure the button next to Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.
    Click on Add and locate to:
    C:\Windows\Runservice

Sureshot

Comment

Thanks for that, I have tried that but still no luck unfortunately, I'm trying a few different things to hopefully open it eventually but no luck with anything so far.

Comment

Very odd i have the same exact same problem, click on the shortcut and nothing happens.

Im also running windows 7, but unfortunately the steps above haven't worked.

The strange thing is i have a vague recollection of the same thing happening last year but i cant remember how i got it working....

Comment

Turns out it was an issue last year:

Tried everything on this thread to no avail.....

Comment

Sorry for the multiple posts but to summarise:

I have tried running under all the compatibility modes
            I have right clicked run as admin
            i have switched DEP to essential windows programs only
            I have disabled my kaspersky internet security and windows firewall (only for testing purposes!)
            i have re-installed it
            I think at one point i prayed!

I did notice that in task manager it briefly appears when i click on the shortcut, before vanishing

This is a Sony Vaio laptop running windows 7 that comfortably runs Football manager 2013

Comment

I have also tried all of those steps but nothing seems to be working. I went through the thread from last year's forum and tried everything suggested in that to get the game working but again nothing has helped. Not sure what I can do as I've tried every option of opening that game but something is keeping it from working in Windows 7 unfortunately.

Comment

Also having the same problem with a new laptop running Windows 8.

Had the issue with 2012 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jcjoelski View Post
                  Also having the same problem with a new laptop running Windows 8.

Had the issue with 2012 as well.
                  having the same issue... game begins and then quotes "could not find compatible "screenMode"

Comment

Originally posted by nithooos View Post
                    having the same issue... game begins and then quotes "could not find compatible "screenMode"
                    Possibly yours is a different issue, for me i get no message, nothing

Comment

Can you add the game to the exceptions in your firewall/anti-virus.

Most anti-virus software will have a slider in the settings this will have settings called something like "zone" "file system", etc and will have options like: off, low, medium and high. Can you turn this down to low and then try running the game.

Please ensure you have added both the Cricket.exe from the game folder and Runservice to the DEP exclusions.

Have you had other anti-virus software installed on this machine?

Can you run the game and take a note of what time you have done so. Can you then: Windows Start> Search bar> type 'event viewer' and press enter. Look in the application logs for events that happened at the same time you started the game.

Something is stopping the game from executing, it's a case of finding what it is.

Edit: Screenmode issue is different issue.
                      Last edited by Sureshot; 06-30-2013, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Also, right click on the game shortcut and select properties and click on the compatibility tab.

Go to 'Run this program in compatibility mode', tick the box and select XP Service Pack 3 also tick 'Run this program as an administrator'. Click Apply and OK. Then right click the game and select Run As Admin.

Comment

Hi Sureshot

I agree that something is stopping the game opening/closing it at the first opportunity.

I use Kaspersky internet security (windows firewall is disabled) and have added it to the trusted programs list to no avail, even disabling it entirely makes no difference

I have tried the DEP settings as above and tried all the compatibility modes and running as admin as described

In event viewer, i cant see anything under application and services logs other than some microsoft office alerts

Comment

I'm having a similar issue, although my game at least gets to the title screen. Then nothing happens bar a little bit of 'flickering' before nothing happens at all. No errors, no nothing.

I've played many, many hours of 2012 and have never had an issue like this, so it's a bit baffling to me assuming it's the same engine. Any ideas?

Comment

Hi Sureshot - Thanks for your help, I've tried all of those ways of opening the program but nothing seems to be working. I'll keep trying to work out what is going on and hopefully will be able to sort it out eventually!

Comment

Working...
                              X