Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A complete and comprehensive review of Cricket Captain 2012!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A complete and comprehensive review of Cricket Captain 2012!

Let me start of by saying that I am a complete fan of this game and any criticism is intended in a constructive way. I will structure this review in parts reviewing every aspect separately and conclude by a general comment and rating.

Statistical Database: Very detailed and pleasing for the complete cricket tragic. Also very easy for a person who knows little/nothing about cricket to pick up. If anything it could show captaincy statistics and like you can view stats in the current year it would be great if you could view performances in wins and losses. Rating 9/10

Player Database: Reasonably good. It does have flaws and some quite major. Many players who are established stars seem to fade away to become so poor that they end up getting dropped. Many players are under-rated and many players are extremely over-rated. I find the Australian player database a bit off and to a certain extent the Indian database but overall a reasonable effort. It also could be more detailed maybe to the extent of Cricket Coach (I am by no means endorsing Cricket Coach because I find Cricket Captain superior in almost every aspect). Rating 7.5/10

Domestic Circuits: The English circuit is the strongest point of Cricket Captain. The database is strong. It is up to date. It is also the original and most tried and tested version of the series and it shows. The Australian system is probably not the strongest point of the game. Being an Aussie I am very picky being a big fan of some of the teams and player I know what it is about and the contract system is quite annoying. Having no say in who moves states and who doesn't is quite annoying. The IPL or "Indian League" is very good but the contract system is probably the lowest point in the game. Firstly it should be an auction and you should be able to buy players outside the auction salary cap if you haven't filled your team. It is also ridiculous that you can run out of money and have to have your team filled with "youth/rubbish" players. In the IPL you can't go bankrupt, it is the richest league in the world. Running out of money in the auction is fine but you should be able to fill your team with unsold players as previously mentioned. There should also be a domestic league for every country. Rating: England 9.5/10, Australia 6.5/10, India 5/10

Internationals: One request on behalf of all fans. Please bring in associates. That is what every fan wants and would bring a different dimension to the game. The international teams are great. You pick your squad and aim for the top. What I love is that if you play as Zimbabwe or Bangladesh, in 10 years time the World Cup could be in your hands. You should be able to control the youth teams and be able to organise friendlies for your team. You should also be able to select an A team to test young players. The only other negative is for associates, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe they don't have 1st names, they only have initials. Please fix this. Rating 8/10

Graphics: The best. No more comment needed. Rating 10/10

Gameplay: Very good, the match engine is fantastic. The only things that need improving are, when it is all regens the game becomes bowler dominated. There should be no penalty for skipped matches and a lot of players seem to get out of the 90s. Other than that it is flawless. Rating 9/10

Overall: A great game with only a few faults. Credit to the developers for creating such a great game! Rating 9.5/10

Originally posted by KGKOOLKAT777 View Post
    There should also be a domestic league for every country. Rating: England 9.5/10, Australia 6.5/10, India 5/10
    I don't think the England league is of higher quality than the Australian one. Sure there are a few more overseas players normally, but seeing as the national teams are similar in standard, and the best players in England are diluted amongst 18 counties, I would have thought that the average county is worse than the average province in Aus when it comes to FC matches..
    Last edited by Graham_5000; 01-19-2013, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_5000 View Post
      I don't think the England league is of higher quality than the Australian one. Sure there are a few more overseas players normally, but seeing as the national teams are similar in standard, and the best players in England are diluted amongst 18 counties, I would have thought that the average county is worse than the average province in Aus when it comes to FC matches..
      Definitely not. The quality of players in England in the game are so much better while the Australian players are average/poor. The regen batsman and keepers are shocking. If they average over 30 they will be selected for Australia!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KGKOOLKAT777 View Post
        Definitely not. The quality of players in England in the game are so much better while the Australian players are average/poor. The regen batsman and keepers are shocking. If they average over 30 they will be selected for Australia!!!
        Sorry I thought you were assessing the quality of the league in real life and wanted that reflected in the game.. Misunderstanding..

Comment

Wow over 1,000 views in a couple of days! Thanks guys!!

Comment

Wouldn't read too much in to the viewing figures, they're distorted.

Comment

You have given 9.5/10 to ICC 2012 then it means only 5% chance of improvement in 2013
              Still don't agree Statistical Database 9/10 There is lots of more scope of improvement in this area

As well As I like to have stats like any player made 100 then stats should be live display Many such features are there to come
              After Historical Retired Players Stats ,Captains Record
              Is my Next Dream

Comment

A feature to enhance the international part of the game would be to add a facts feature before each series you play, for example when you're entering a new series you get some facts that make it more exciting to play such as 'New Zealand has not won a test match in India for 7 years' Something like this would enhance the experience and put more pressure on a series

Comment

Not sure about the graphics being 10/10. I personally think they are one the weaker aspects of the game and prefer the old 2D ones.

With regard to skipping matches, surely there has to be a penalty otherwise what's the point of you playing them yourself?

Comment

I agree with your review for the most part. The interface and graphics do their job very well; I didn't appreciate how efficient and clear ICC's interface was until I tried Cricket Coach 2012. Just on this point:

Gameplay: Very good, the match engine is fantastic. The only things that need improving are, when it is all regens the game becomes bowler dominated. There should be no penalty for skipped matches and a lot of players seem to get out of the 90s. Other than that it is flawless. Rating 9/10
                    Agree entirely on not punishing people for skipping matches. Why should the user be forced to play matches which they find tedious?

Agree also on the game becoming bowler-dominated to an extent, though I find that the AI sides still score plenty of runs against my side.

I think there are two other glaring match engine issues. The first is the dominance of spinners. My best bowlers across nearly 30 seasons have all been spinners, despite playing as Australia. I've noticed this in previous versions too. The other is the batting collapses. I've seen numerous complaints about this from players on another forum. The AI tends to be very aggressive when it has a bit of a lead, and it becomes a real problem with the weaker regen batsmen. This seems to be more of an issue than previous versions; the old issue of big last-wicket partnerships seems to be gone, so I wonder if this was an attempt to address that.

Comment

We no longer have the penalty for skipping matches, the difference you're seeing is simply the difference between your input and the computer input for when you skip games. It's something I have earmarked for discussion to see if there are other things we can do.

On spinners, I would start by saying that the current real life world of cricket is dominated by spinners*, particularly in the shorter format, that's not to say I am completely ignoring your input, it's certainly something that has been mentioned before.

*Don't mention South Africa!

We'll review and improve the AI balance situation this year, as we do every year, it's something we take a lot of pride in but is also the hardest part of the game.

You do have a point though, apart from Warne and MacGill you wouldn't expect Australia's future to lie in the spin department.

Comment

Originally posted by Sureshot View Post
                        On spinners, I would start by saying that the current real life world of cricket is dominated by spinners*, particularly in the shorter format, that's not to say I am completely ignoring your input, it's certainly something that has been mentioned before.

We'll review and improve the AI balance situation this year, as we do every year, it's something we take a lot of pride in but is also the hardest part of the game.

You do have a point though, apart from Warne and MacGill you wouldn't expect Australia's future to lie in the spin department.
                        4/10 of the current top 10 test bowlers are spinners. I think normally there would only be 2 or 3, but both Aus and Pakistan have a number of new quicks who look promising and are yet to establish themselves. England have a couple of good swing bowlers and SA lots of quality pace bowlers (with Gqamane and de Lange for the future)..

With the Windies being average at the moment, and Aus and Pak being in transition, 3 teams that normally contain top 10 ranked quicks, currently don't - am sure this will change..

Do the regen types vary from country to country? More quicks in some countries and spinners in others? This would surely handicap SA in the long term, if quicks are useless after a few decades in the game?

Comment

Originally posted by Sureshot View Post
                          We no longer have the penalty for skipping matches, the difference you're seeing is simply the difference between your input and the computer input for when you skip games. It's something I have earmarked for discussion to see if there are other things we can do.
                          It may not be an intentional penalty, but it's definitely a substantial negative which goes well beyond merely the user's little touch of magic.

Simming ODI games, I wound up with all my batsmen averaging in the mid-to-low-20s. It was still low when I played every game myself, but a bit closer to reality.

Fair enough, and I can understand that it is exceptionally hard to simulate cricket. Tweak it a little too far one way or the other, and it winds up with glaringly unrealistic results. It's got a pretty good balance at the moment, but it'd be nice to see a few of the oddities smoothed out.

Comment

Working...
                          X