J Dernbach
    S Meaker
    S Finn
    D Briggs
    S Borthwick
    S Kerrigan
    R Topley
    J Overton

It's a very inexperienced shortlist, with a lot of players who have barely played for England at this level, but these players are either known to me from my Notts story, have performed well this season, or have done well for England in previous games. The Overton brothers both get called up as they have done fairly well this season, and become fairly players, likewise Ross Whiteley, and James Vince.
    Nottinghamshire supporter and proud!

Comment

Originally posted by Dutz View Post
      Surely if its overcast conditions an extra batsmen is required?!
      That's what I would have thought as well. Can't complain with the result though!

Comment

Originally posted by bnd3 View Post
        That's what I would have thought as well. Can't complain with the result though!
        I accept that it is the logical thing to do, but it does take away a bowler, and I quite like to have 4 pace bowlers if I can. It's a matter of personal preference, but also depends on the series state etc

Comment

Second Test:

England:
          A Hales
          A Cook
          J Trott
          I Bell
          K Pietersen
          M Prior
          J Taylor
          T Bresnan
          G Swann
          J Anderson
          S Finn

James Taylor plays ahead of Chris Woakes in this match, as it is a batting track, so the more runs the better. Alex Hales replaces Andrew Strauss at the top of the order.

S Africa:
          G Smith
          H Amla
          J Kallis
          A B De Villiers
          A Peterson
          J Rudolph
          V Philander
          T Tsolekile
          M de Lange
          M Morkel
          D Steyn

Steyn in for Tsotsobe.

Toss: South Africa win the toss and bowl first

Match Report:

Day 1:
          Well, I thought it was a batting track. South Africa were reduced to 89/6 at the lunch break, only Graeme Smith making runs. By tea though, it was 193/6, after some good work from Petersen and Tsolekile. We didn’t really look great in the session, a far cry from the first. Petersen was still in at the end of the day, and there was a real sense that we had left them off the hook.

Day 2:
          We got the South Africans out in the end for 330. Not a great bowling performance in the latter stages of the innings. In reply, we lost 3 quick wickets before lunch. We lost Cook and Taylor straight after lunch, but fortunately KP and Matt Prior managed to stay in for the rest of the day. KP got himself a century, and Prior was closing on one by the end of the day’s play.

Day 3:
          Prior didn’t make his century, but both Swann and Bresnan made good half centuries,as we reached 445, and gave ourselves a lead of 115. It may not be much, but a couple of wickets and the dynamic changes.
          South Africa reached 141-1by the end of the day, only losing Graeme Smith. This game could well be turning into a draw. If needs be, I’ll make it happen.

Day 4:
          We managed to get the South Africans out for 334, which left us only 220 odd to chase, which was more than acceptable for the last day. The batting efforts of both Swann and Bresnan proved vital it would appear, as did their bowling in this innings, as they took vital wickets to ensure we had a chaseable target. We could go 2-0 up yet!
          We started well, finishing the day on 54-0, Hales on 30. The game completely turned around on the fourth day, one of the more entertaining tests I will play I think.

Day 5:
          In the end, it was a fairly comfortable win. Cook got to a half century, whilst Hales played a great knock to reach his first test match century, hopefully the first of many. The series has been won, quite comfortably in the end, and I will be taking advantage of this to rest players, or bring players back into form. It’s been a good start to my England career so far, something has to go wrong soon,surely.

Batting Award: KP, held the first innings together, alongside Matt Prior.
          Bowling Award: James Anderson, a lethal opening spell set the stage for England.
          Last edited by DaveK93; 08-23-2012, 11:55 PM.

Comment

England Team Selection:

So, with the series won, I can rest some players.

England:

A Strauss
            A Hales
            V Chopra
            J Taylor
            P Horton
            J Bairstow
            J Buttler
            C Woakes
            S Broad
            S Kerrigan
            J Dernbach
            R Topley

I don't expect to win this match, but I will have a fairly good go with a weakened squad. Strauss returns to try and find some form in his last international match of the summer. Paul Horton, the 29 year old from Lancashire gets a call up after some great form for his county this season.

Comment

Third Test

England:
              A Strauss
              A Hales
              J Taylor
              P Horton
              J Bairstow
              J Buttler
              C Woakes
              S Broad
              S Kerrigan
              J Dernbach
              R Topley

Varun Chopra misses out for the hosts in this dead rubber.

S Africa:
              G Smith
              H Amla
              J Kallis
              A B De Villiers
              A Peterson
              J Rudolph
              V Philander
              T Tsolekile
              M de Lange
              M Morkel
              D Steyn

No changes for S Africa.

Toss: England win the toss and bowl first.

Day 1:
              South Africa took complete control of the day only losing two wickets. To be fair, I have a weakened bowling line up out, so I expected us to suffer. However, I hope for a change of fortunes on Day 2.

Day 2:
              Once again, not a great day for the bowlers as South Africa reached 603-8, Amla getting 246 before falling lbw to Kerrigan. Strauss then failed with the bat again, as we reached 115-1 by the close of play, quite a way behind.

Day 3:
              We closed day 3 having avoided the follow on, reaching 431-5 by the end of the day. Credit is due to Hales, Taylor, Bairstow and Buttler, who all scored well, as we attempt to avoid defeat. Not a bad day for England’s batsmen, the only disappointment being that Horton couldn’t get any runs. Now we have to bowl again, I’ll try to close the match out before then, and bat through.

Day 4:
              We crumbled after Buttler reached his century, as we finished on 488. South Africa then got to 255-6 before declaring, leaving us to chase 370 to win. We lost captain Strauss for a duck,and Taylor for 10, as we floundered to 14-2 by the end of play. It’s not looking good.

Day 5:
              We got away with this. Hales departed early on in the day, bringing in Horton. Horton and Bairstow batted well, and stayed in, Horton getting his debut half century. Horton departed and brought in Buttler halfway through the last session, but he went quickly, as did Broad,and it was left to Bairstow and Woakes to see things out. In hindsight, I weakened my team far too much. Well, the batting was good, but the bowling lacked penetration. Still, some good came of the match, if only that I am now confident that Jos Buttler will be a useful player for England, and that Bairstow is becoming a class act, with 112 in each innings.

Batting Award: Got to be Bairstow, 224 runs in the match, and saved both innings. It was a masterclass from the Yorkshireman.

Bowling Award: Hard to give it to anyone really, but I’ll give it to Simon Kerrigan, who took 3 quick wickets in the middle of the first innings, and stopped the seemingly indestructible Hashim Amla.

England Stats:

South Africa Stats:

Comment

England vs South Africa ODI Squad:

Going with a strong squad for this, I want the series win.

England:
                A Hales
                J Taylor
                A Cook
                E Morgan
                J Trott
                I Bell
                J Bairstow
                J Buttler
                S Patel
                S Broad
                C Woakes
                J Anderson
                G Swann
                S Finn
                G Onions

A strong squad, still no room for either Bopara or Bresnan. They will get their chance though, eventually.

South Africa:
                G Smith
                H Amla
                A B De Villiers
                A Petersen
                J Rudolph
                J P Duminy
                T Tsolekile
                J Kallis
                M De Lange
                V Philander
                I Tahir
                M Morkel
                R Peterson
                D Steyn
                L Tsotsobe

No changes for South Africa, so bring on the first match of the series!

Comment

England vs South Africa First ODI

Teams:
                  A Hales
                  I Bell
                  J Trott
                  J Taylor
                  J Buttler
                  J Bairstow
                  S Patel
                  S Broad
                  C Woakes
                  S Finn
                  G Swann

Anderson and Cook both miss out through a lack of fitness; they will be back in the next match. Samit Patel plays as the extra spinner.

South Africa:
                  G Smith
                  H Amla
                  J Kallis
                  A B De Villiers
                  A Peterson
                  V Philander
                  T Tsolekile
                  R Peterson
                  D Steyn
                  M Morkel
                  I Tahir

South Africa also go with two spinners, first time they’ve played a spinner on this tour.

Toss: South Africa win it, and field first.

Match Report:
                  Not a great match. We batted OK, but we only reached 254, when in reality, we should have got over 300. The only good thing from the batting was the half century from Jos Buttler, who may have snuck into the 15 for the T20 World Cup on this performance, he batted well, and quickly.
                  The bowling left a lot to be desired, as we were far too expensive. The two spinners plan didn’t work as well as it usually does at Nottinghamshire, as they got carted for runs. At least Woakes continued his impressive ODI career so far, but the danger man is Hashim Amla.We need to get him out early,or we will struggle in this series.

Batting Award: J Buttler, only half century, scored at over a run a ball.
                  Bowling Award: C Woakes, did take 3 wickets, but like everyone else, was expensive.

Comment

Second ODI

Teams:
                    A Hales
                    I Bell
                    A Cook
                    J Taylor
                    J Buttler
                    J Bairstow
                    J Anderson
                    S Broad
                    C Woakes
                    S Finn
                    G Swann

Cook and Anderson return, Patel and Trott are the unlucky ones.

South Africa:
                    G Smith
                    H Amla
                    J Kallis
                    A B De Villiers
                    JP Duminy
                    A Peterson
                    V Philander
                    T Tsolekile
                    R Peterson
                    D Steyn
                    M Morkel

Duminy plays his first match of the tour, replacing Tahir.

Toss: England win the toss and bowl first.

Match Report:
                    This match had everything. Lots of wickets, some big hits, and an England victory. We limited South Africa to 187/7, but at one point they were 70/6, so once again, we let them off the hook. Woakes and Broad bowled superbly in tandem, and did most of the damage, in some cloudy conditions.
                    We thought the chase would be easy. Wrong. We collapsed to 46/5, and it took a steady hand from Taylor and Broad to guide us towards the total. Once again, it was a great knock from Taylor, and Broad was highly unlucky not to reach a half century. A credible performance by them both. The series has now been levelled with everything to play for.

Batting Award: Taylor gets it, for a great knock of 86. Chanceless.
                    Bowling Award: Broad, for a fine spell of swing bowling to remove the top order.

Comment

Third ODI

Teams:
                      A Hales
                      I Bell
                      A Cook
                      J Taylor
                      J Buttler
                      J Bairstow
                      J Anderson
                      S Broad
                      C Woakes
                      S Finn
                      G Swann

No change for the hosts.

South Africa:
                      G Smith
                      H Amla
                      J Kallis
                      A B De Villiers
                      JP Duminy
                      A Peterson
                      V Philander
                      T Tsolekile
                      I Tahir
                      D Steyn
                      M Morkel

Tahir replaces Peterson in the only change.

Toss: SAfrica win the toss and bowl.

Match Report:
                      No match report for this, I’m just too annoyed about the fact that we capitulated again. No England player distinguished themselves in this match, and it leaves us struggling in the series.

No Awards given: Everyone was shocking.

Comment

Fourth ODI

Teams:
                        A Hales
                        I Bell
                        E Morgan
                        J Taylor
                        J Buttler
                        J Bairstow
                        J Anderson
                        S Broad
                        C Woakes
                        G Onions
                        G Swann

Morgan and Onions come in for the out of form Cook and Anderson. Taylor and Hales open.

South Africa:
                        G Smith
                        H Amla
                        J Kallis
                        A B De Villiers
                        JP Duminy
                        A Peterson
                        V Philander
                        T Tsolekile
                        I Tahir
                        D Steyn
                        M Morkel

Toss: England win the toss and bat first.

Match Report:
                        The series goes to the final game, as England narrowly took the victory. A lot of thanks has to go to Alex Hales, who led from the off, and scored a marvellous 127 to give us a fighting chance of winning. Woakes also made this possible with a supporting knock of 41, after the batsmen once again failed to get anywhere.
                        Graham Onions made in-roads on his return to the international fold, with some economical bowling alongside Anderson. Once again,Woakes took wickets, as only Amla (again!) got a really good score, and in the end, it wasn’t quite enough to win them the series. We are tied at 2-2 going into the last game. It’s getting a bit tense.

Batting Award: Hales, a great century from the youngster
                        Bowling Award: Onions, kept a cool head under pressure, and demonstrated the way to bowl in an ODI.

My apologies for a lack of screenshot, somewhere along the line, I saved over it. These things happen

Comment

Fifth ODI:

Teams:
                          A Hales
                          I Bell
                          E Morgan
                          J Taylor
                          J Buttler
                          J Bairstow
                          J Anderson
                          S Broad
                          C Woakes
                          G Onions
                          S Finn

Buttler to open with Hales, Swann dropped for Steven Finn

South Africa:
                          G Smith
                          H Amla
                          J Kallis
                          A B De Villiers
                          JP Duminy
                          A Peterson
                          V Philander
                          T Tsolekile
                          I Tahir
                          D Steyn
                          M Morkel

Toss: England lose the toss and bat.

Match Report:
                          Jos Buttler was promoted to the top of the order and he acquitted himself well, getting his first ODI century in style. Much like Alex Hales in the previous match, he attacked from the off, and fortunately, James Taylor provided enough support that Buttler could carry on unhindered. It pleases me that my younger players are getting runs, as it leaves me in a good position for a few years. 259-9 is a respectable score, but given how quickly, and confidently the South Africans have been playing, anything could happen.

Anything did happen. For the first time this series, the South Africans looked vulnerable, and collapsed. Hashim Amla, the best player this tour for the visitors, fell for 7, as they were skittled out for 142. Chris Woakes ripped through the batting, taking 4-19, and from there, we never looked back, and claimed the series victory.

Batting Award: Jos Buttler, took to his new role with relish.
                          Bowling Award: Chris Woakes, another fine display by the youngster.

England stats:

South Africa stats:

Comment

Eng vs SA T20I series.

England Squad:
                            A Hales
                            J Taylor
                            C Overton
                            R Hamilton-Brown
                            J Overton
                            J Vince
                            J Bairstow
                            J Buttler
                            S Patel
                            S Broad
                            C Woakes
                            J Anderson
                            R Whiteley
                            S Finn
                            D Briggs

A weakened squad perhaps, but gives me a chance to look at the lesser known players on my shortlist.

The tourists keep the same team.

Comment

First T20I

England:
                              A Hales
                              J Taylor
                              R Hamilton-Brown
                              J Bairstow
                              J Buttler
                              S Patel
                              S Broad
                              C Woakes
                              J Anderson
                              R Whiteley
                              S Finn

A fairly strong squad plays for England, but will it be strong enough?

SAfrica:
                              G Smith
                              H Amla
                              J Kallis
                              A B De Villiers
                              JP Duminy
                              A Peterson
                              V Philander
                              T Tsolekile
                              R Peterson
                              D Steyn
                              M Morkel

Toss: England win it and bowl first.

Match Report:
                              South Africa set off quickly, reaching 49 from the first 4 overs. From there it went downhill,as Broad removed Smith, De Villiers and Petersen in quick succession. South Africa never recovered, and only managed a measly 113-9, which was never going to be good enough. Ross Whiteley picked up a wicket on debut to stake his claims for a squad position.

The batting was fairly straight forward, and we reached the target with ease, the main contributions coming from Hamilton-Brown and Bairstow. Buttler and Hales seem like a good opening pair, which puts Kieswetter at risk, as he would be playing the same role as Buttler. There was even time at the end from Whiteley to get a few runs, and make it a good debut.

Batting Award: Hamilton-Brown. He may not have got as many runs as Bairstow, but it was virtually chanceless.
                              Bowling Award: Broad, a five wicket haul which helped to turn the match.

Comment

Second T20I

Teams:

England:
                                A Hales
                                J Taylor
                                R Hamilton-Brown
                                J Bairstow
                                J Buttler
                                J Vince
                                S Broad
                                J Overton
                                C Overton
                                R Whiteley
                                S Finn

Vince, and the two Overton’s all make debuts.

SAfrica:
                                G Smith
                                H Amla
                                J Kallis
                                A B De Villiers
                                I Tahir
                                A Peterson
                                V Philander
                                T Tsolekile
                                R Peterson
                                D Steyn
                                M Morkel

Tahir replaces Duminy for the visitors.

Toss: England win it and bat first.

Match Report:
                                We didn’t really bat as we should have done and it cost us. We lost Buttler and H-Brown in the first over, Hales shortly after that. Bairstow and Vince went some way to repair the damage, but we couldn’t quite get the total we wanted.
                                In the bowling, we pushed it close, Jamie Overton getting 2 wickets on debut. His brother Craig was expensive though, and in the end, we were left with a little too much to do in this one. Never mind, one to play, and this series wasn’t so much about the ranking, as looking at players for the tournament that I hadn’t seen properly.

Batting Award: James Vince, a half century on debut, his highest score in all T20 this season.
                                Bowling Award: Jamie Overton, 2 wickets against one of the best batting line ups in the world. On Debut. Impressive.

Comment

Working...
                                X