Best team in the world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onto the 5th and final ODI!
    I named an uncahnged side, the pitch, similar to the last match, offers something for seamers and spinners, so i was expecting a low score. I won the toss and once again chose to bat.
    Here are the line ups:

Zim innings
    we started positvily as taylor hammered a 6 in the 1st over to get off the mark, and by the 10 over mark, we were going well on 44/0. Taylor then proceeded to through away his wicket, caught behind off haque attempting an audiacious cover drive. On 20 overs, masakadza hit yet another 50, from just 52 balls, the score was 87/1. Eventually, masakadza went, caught in the deep for 71, meaning that 30 overs in we were 139/2, taibu well set on 33. It wasen't long though before taibu threw away his start, being caught in the covers off reza for 37. As we began the final 10 overs, another of my batsmen got out after getting a start, raza was bowled by shuvo for 28. I then used my powerplay and the very next ball mutizwa went for an unimpressive 1, leaving us on 193/5. We recovered as waller hit out, and by the end of the innings we had reached a satisfactory 236/6, waller finishing on 56 not out from 50 balls.

Comment

B'desh innings
      In the 2nd over, the now complusory early breakthrough came, nafees lbw to meth for a duck, 1/1 was the score. The 8th over saw the fall of mahmudullah, caught in the slips of meth for 15. And soon the 3rd wicket fell as the out-of-form iqbal was caught behind, also off meth, the score was 47/3. Meth had demolished the top order! In the 20th over a mini recovery from b'desh was ended as Al hasan was caught in the deep off utseya and just 2 overs later reza was another victim of utseya, clean bowled for 7, leaving b'desh floundering on 91/5. Utseya claimed his 3rd wicket as ashraful was caught close in for 11 and in the 30th over ghosh got himself run out and the match was effectivly over, 120/7. The final 3 wickets all fell with the score on 127, 2 to price and one more to utseya, handing him man of the match winnings, career best bowling figures of 4-33. Nazimudden was the final man to fall, having batted a resiliant 52.
      This handed us a massive 109 run win and a 5-0 series victory. I suddenly realised that with my first tour under my belt i had not lost a single match, something i did not expect to be saying at this stage!
      Heres the summary:

Comment

Next up, a far more challenging prospect, a tour of new zealand, including 1 test, 3 odis and 2 t20s. I'm pretty confident my first defeat will come soon! we'll do very well to draw the test and win a limited overs fixture! lets see how it goes...

Comment

Originally posted by Clifford View Post
          In 2007, ICC president Ray Mali claimed that Zimbabwe's young side could top the world rankings in 3 years having watched them put in some spirited performances against South Africa. Although this far-fetched prophecy has not come true it is clear that as these young players come of age, Zimbabwean cricket is on the up. They return to the test area this year after a 6 year, self imposed absence.
          This is my attempt to guide zim through this difficult process and to not lose every game ad I fear they will in reality! Perhaps one day they will become the world's best side!

My first game in charge is none other than the return to test cricket, a single test match against Bangladesh. We can't afford to lose this one, as we are currently ranked above b'desh in the test championship despite our long absence! I initially played on normal and suffered a crushing defeat by an inninngs and 213 runs. Realizing that this was the worst team I was going to face and not wanting to just play defeat after defeat, I chose easy mode to make us a bit more competitive...
          Politics have ruined the game in zimbabwe.We use to see great zimbabwe lineup in 1999.

Comment

Sorry for not posting for a while, i've been at a cricket game the last few days!
            Here's my squad for the NZ tour:

I'll briefly introduce the new players-

Vusi Sibanda- reliable, if unspectacular batsman who can bat anywhere in the order

Tino Mawoyo- a young opening batsmen who looks done well in the domestic game in recent years

Chris Mpofu- expierienced pacer who is a bit on and off, can penertrating or useless, also one of the worst tailenders ever, averages 2.31 in ODIs, with a high score of 6!

Shingi Masakadza- younger brother of opener hamilton masakadza, pace bowler who has bowled 310 balls in ODIs for 410 runs. can be effective or very expensive

Now onto the first and only test...

Comment

1st test
              The weather forecast was good, with little or no cloud for most of the match. The pitch initially offered little to seamers and a bit for the spin bowlers. My test side was unchanged from the b'desh test except that waller replaced raza for his test debut. Waller was in good form and raza was not. Here are the sides:

Day 1
              I lost the toss and NZ decided to bat first, the obvious choice. Their openers where not at all troubled by our pace attack and soon reached a 50 partnership. The breakthrough came as lunch approached, mccullum was clean bowled by elton chigumbura for 41 and the score was 86/1. We had a wicket soon after as ryder was out lbw to utseya for 11, leaving the score at 99/2. Soon after lunch guptill passed his 50, off just 79 balls including 9 fours. the afternoon dragged on and without further breakthroughs, guptill reached his century with a huge 6. As tea came, ross taylor got his 50, meaning the score at tea was 226/2. We got a much deserved wicket as taylor was clean bowled by utseya for 68. With an hour till the close we took the new ball, the score was 266/3. the new ball didn't claim a victim until 10 overs before the close, meth got the vital wicket of guptill lbw for 148, as he tried to reach his 150 with an ambitious drive. This left NZ 318/4 at the close, still on top.

Comment

Day 2
                It was an extremely frustrating morning session, the new batsmen, flynn and sinclair, built a big partnership. The score had reached 414 before the 5th wicket fell, flynn went lbw to utseya for 76. Vettori didn't hang around and was dismissed for 15 by price, caught in the slips. The score at lunch was therefore 441/6, sinclair was unbeaten on 64. after the interval franklin was lbw to price for 17, who then proceeded to remove the last two tailenders, leaving NZ 491 all out, price finishing with a 5-for.
                It was half way through the afternoon when taylor and masakadza came in to open the batting. we needed to keep hold of our wickets and i hoped to score at least 300. The defensive restraint i asked for from my batsmen wasen't delivered as masakadza hit a 6 of the first ball of the innings. they batted more sensibly after that, reaching tea on 22 without loss. We batted out the evening session well and at the close of play we were 86/0. still 405 behind, with both batsmen in their 40s. we were in the game thanks to the openers but still had a mountain to climb...

Comment

Day 3
                  The day began well, the openers reached their 100 partnership, simultaniously, masakadza reached his 50 from 123 balls. in the next over, taylor got to his half century from 145 deliveries. It wasen't long before this important partnership was ended, taylor was caught in the slips off franklin for 53. at lunch the score was 143/1, nz had a lead of 348, masakadza was unbeaten on 71. the over after lunch brought the wicket of taibu, bowled by tuffey for 13. we were wobbling when masakadza departed for 81, bowled vettori for 81. he had done his bit, seeing off 234 balls. the score was 173/3, nz then took the new ball. fortunately, no more wickets fell before tea, the score was 193/3. the sky was heavily overcast and was excellent for spin. 1 hour before the close williams and ervine were still in, 219/3 was the score, and this partnership held up to leave us 241/3 at the close, ervine 39 and williams 46. we were in with a chance, having batted the day out at the loss of just 3 wickets.

Comment

Day 4
                    williams started the morning well, hitting a 4 to reach his 50 from 165 deliveries. ervine followed suite, although slightly less convincingly, edging a sweep for a couple of runs. his 50 took no less than 208 balls! with an 1 hour till lunch, ervine was caught in the deep for 61, 276/4, still 215 behind. with 1 min till lunch, williams was bowled by arnel for 76, leaving us 305/5 at the break, 186 behind. nz then took the new ball but it once again proved ineffective as the entire afternoon session passed without a wicket falling, the score stood at 358/5, 133 behind. chigumbura reached his 50 from 103 balls. with an hour till the close we passed 400, only 91 behind. this run also brought up a 101 run partnership, a record for partnership for the 6th wicket for zim in tests. it wasen't long before that partnership was broken, chigumbura was bowled for 70 by arnel, 411/6 was the score. just a few overs later waller got himself bowled by franklin for 48 on his test debut. he had done well to see off 204 balls. the tail offered little resistance, and we finished on 447 all out. nz then faced a single over before the close, not scoring a run or losing a wicket. a draw now seemed inevitable, the nz lead was only 44 and there was just a day to go. i was delighted with my batting side's batting performance, 447 runs and 5 half centuries (but no 100s!)

Comment

Day 5
                      12 overs into the nz innings came the breakthrough, guptill followed up his 148 with a feble 11, clean bowled by rainsford- his first wicket of the match, which was incredibly disappointing. ryder went cheaply, lbw to meth for 16, the score was 62/2. nz staged a minor recovery, mccullum reaching his 50 from 86 balls. he then departed for 53, caught behind off price, the score at 122/3 by lunch. in the 1st over after the break, ross taylor was bowled by price for 21.sinclair followed, caught in the slips off utseya for 22, again making a satrt but being dismmised by a spinner, 163/5. vettori went for 9 went he was caught by wicket keeper taibu off utseya and nz then declared on 187/6, with a 231 run advantage. as we came out to bat there was 25 mins left till tea and then of course the evening session. it would be a tough ask to reach that target and with the pitch doing what it was, i decided that getting the draw was more important than chasing the win. masakadza went in the 2nd over, edging into the slips off tuffey with just 4 to his name. taibu was then dropped in the slips for 2. that could be important! tea was reached without further losses, we were 19/1, 213 behind. we cautiously batted outed the evening and in the last over of the match both taylor and taibu got their half centuries, taylor's off 104 balls and taibu's off 93. we finished on 108/1, 123 behind but i was pleased with the draw, the bowling and particularly the batting had been good, although the pace attack lacked teeth. guptill got man of the match, although his poor score in the 2nd innings was a bit of an anti-climax! anyhow a good result and with a bit more time we could have maybe nicked a win!
                      heres the summary:

Comment

1st odi
                        meth, cremer and raza dropped due to poor form, mpofu, utseya and waller in to replace them. the pitch didn't offer much but the sky was heavily overcast. here are the sides:

nz innings
                        the innings didn't start well for us as rainsford's opening over went for 9. the first wicket didn't come till the 10th over when mccullum went lbw to mpofu for 28. a few overs later guptill also fell to mpofu lbw, for 24, and we were in with a chance on 69/2. however nz recovered with a 133 run partnership between taylor and ryder. we didn't take another wicket until the 39th over when taylor went lbw to utseya for 78. sinclair was then put down, but only managed 24 runs before rainsford got him lbw, the score on 248/4. in the 47th over flynn nicked one off rainsford and depated for 12. ryder fell the very next ball, lbw to price for 102 off 103 balls, leaving nz 270/6. in the 49th over it seemed i had succeded in keeping nz below 300, as southee wnet for 4, caught off price and the score was 282/7. but the last over, bowled by the so far effective mpofu was hit for 17, all the runs scored by franklin, including 4 fours, leaving the score at the end of the innings at 303/7. this was a daunting target!

Comment

zim innings
                          in the 6th over taylor fell, caught in the slips off southee for 3, the score at 19/1. what follwoed dashed any hopes of reaching the target, as taibu went for a duck and ervine for 2, leaving us on 25/3, both wickets caught behind off tuffey. soon after williams went for 12, lbw to franklin and the score was a pretty dismal 42/4. as in the nz innings however, a big partnership through the middle of the innings helped boost our chances, masakadza and waller put on a record 111 for the 5th wicket.masakadza reached his 50 off 58 balls with a powerful pull for 4. waller got his 50 off his 50th ball, scoring a masive 6 with a huge cover drive. the very next ball he was walking, falling lbw to gillespe for 55, the score on 153/5. chigumbura and utseya didn't last long, but it was the wicket of masakadza, which fell in the 40th over that put paid to any faint glimmers of hope we still had. he went for 98 off 114 balls, lbw to arnel, a cruel dismissal as he approached a well deserved century. we finished 230 all out, price offering a resiliant 25 and mpofu equalling his odi high score of 6 before he was out caught and bowled to gillespe. nz won by 73 runs and were simply better than us at batting and bowling! i couldn't really see us winning any of the limited over fixtures of this tour. here's the summary:

Comment

Good result in the test match.

Comment

2nd odi
                              i brought in meth for mpofu, but otherwise named an unchanged side. although the sky was overcast, the pitch didn't offer the bowlers much. i won the toss and chose to bat first. line ups:

zim innings
                              our openers made a decent start, but masakadza was caught behind off tuffey for 24, the score at 43/1. we recovered, taylor and taibu batting well, taylor reaching his 50 from 86 balls. 2 deliveries later tuffey beat him, clean bowled, leaving us 118/2. at the 30 ovr mark we were 125/2, the run rate needed accelerating and so i soon took the batting powerplay. taiby got his half century with a 4 on his 69 ball. at the end of the powerplay we had reached 171/2, with 37 overs gone. we passed 200 in the 41st over but the 92 run partnership between ervine and taibu was ended soon after, taibu getting himself run out for 82. ervine departed almsot mimediatly afterwards, ervine bowled by gillespie for 42, leaving us on 218/4. the new batsmen were not ready to hit out and the last few overs and we finished on 230/4, a total i feared would not be enough.

Comment

nz innings
                                my faith in the out of sorts meth was justified, as in his first over he got mccullum lbw for 1, 2/1 was the score. next over rainsford got rainsford clean bowled, but the delivery was a no ball! in the 7th over guptill departed, caught off rainsford for 2, nz in some difficulty at 19/2. they were in even more difficulty when in the 10th over ross taylor was caught in the slips of meth for just 2, the score was 22/3. nz recovered thanks to a productive partnership between the in form ryder and sinclair. we eventually got ryder for 64, another wicket for meth, leaving nz on 112/4. even so the immediate danager seemed to be over for nz. however sinclair went lbw to utseya for 55 from 53 balls, and nz were in trouble on 138/5. price's first ball of the match removed flynn, caught behind and southee was lbw for a duck the very next ball. the hat trick ball was edged, but just over the slips! the score had gone from 138/4 to 138/7, and nz were staring at defeat! they then took the powerplay, needing 72 runs @ 4.8 an over. by the end of the powerplay, with 10 overs left nz were 184/7, needing 47 @ 4.7. franklin was looking dangerous on 36 not out. i was beginning to worry that i had thrown away a famous victory as frankiln got 50 off 46 balls, the score at 215/7, nz needing only 16 @ 3.2. just as all hope seemed lost in the 47th over franklin skied one that was caught in the deep off chigumbura. the very next ball gillespie was lbw to chigumbura for a duck and hat trick ball! nz were 218/9, with 1 wicket in hand but only 13 needed to win, with plenty of balls remanining! in came chigumbura, he bowled a full striaght delivery on off stump and armel completely misses his forward defense and is hit on the pads, lbw surely! YES! the umpire's finger goes up and we have an amzing win, by the slender margin of just 12 runs! nz finished 218 all out and the 3 match series was tied 1-1 with 1 game to play! could we pick up an unlikely series win?
                                scorecard:

Comment

Working...
                                X