NZ under GrahamB (story)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rock_cool2003 View Post
    Your batting is going great guns but the bowling needs to b scrutinized.
    Let's hope I can find some effective bowlers. At present Trent Boult seems to be our best strike weapon.
    We bat cautiously, mindful that we need to post competitive scores in order to put less pressure on our bowling attack.

Comment

Would have a real look at Southee, bloke takes wickets in Internationals for me on ICC'11.

Comment

And so the test series finishes all square after both matches ended in draws.

Comment

Originally posted by Cymro View Post
          Would have a real look at Southee, bloke takes wickets in Internationals for me on ICC'11.
          Certainly keeping an eye on him!

Comment

NZ ODI Squad

Opening Batsmen
            B.Hatwell
            J.Raval
            S.Murdoch

Other Batsmen
            A.de Boorder
            K.Williamson
            K.Van Wyk (wk)
            R.Taylor (capt)
            D.de Boorder (wk)

All-Rounders
            S.Wells
            J.Franklin
            A.Ellis

Pace Bowlers
            T.Boult
            D.Tuffey

Spin Bowlers
            T.Nethula
            B.Martin
            Brendon McCullum was unavailable due to injury.
            Vettori again misses out.

Comment

1st ODI v Windies

Our playing eleven for the opening ODI was:

S.Murdoch
              B.Hatwell
              A.de Boorder
              R.Taylor
              D.de Boorder (wk)
              S.Wells
              J.Franklin
              A.Ellis
              D.Tuffey
              T.Boult
              B.Martin

After dismissing the visitors cheaply, our batsmen were under no pressure to score quickly and so we eased our way to victory.

Comment

2nd ODI v Windies

We retained the same playing eleven, but the Windies brought Sarwan into their side to replace Edwards.

We didn't get enough runs on the board, but went close to defending our total. Chanderpaul was dropped in the thirties and that proved to be crucial.
                1-1 going into the final ODI.

Comment

3rd ODI v Windies

Both sides remained unchanged for the deciding match.

We were put in on a difficult pitch and never really got going.
                  The key to an unlikely victory was to then pick up the key wickets of both Gayle and Chanderpaul. However, after snaring Gayle early in the first two games, he was determined to make amends and it was his innings that saw his side through.

Comment

1st T20 v Windies

Our side for the first of the two T20s was again based on a combination of existing stats plus current form.

J.Raval
                    A.Redmond
                    K.Bettley
                    R.Taylor (capt)
                    D.de Boorder (wk)
                    J.Ryder
                    K.Williamson
                    W.McSkimming
                    K.Noema-Barnett
                    D.Tuffey
                    K.Mills
                    The visitors posted a good score, but we looked to be in control. However, the loss of three quick wickets, including the key one of Ross Taylor, derailed our chase and we fell just short.

Comment

2nd T20 v Windies

We made some changes for the final T20, bringing Nathan MCullum and Graeme Aldridge in for Kane Williamson and Warren McSkimming.

We lost the toss again and were put in to bat. Despite batting on one bar less than full aggression (up to full when a batsman became settled), we could only score 113/4 on a difficult pitch.
                      However, life proved just as tough for the Windies batsmen and they only just got home in the final over.

Just in case anybody is wondering, Brendon McCullum was unavailable for the series due to injury.

Comment

Next up is a one off test against Zimbabwe. Only one!
                        I like test matches the best.

In a shock move, Ross Taylor was left out of the side to play Zimbabwe due to his disappointing test and first class form this season.
                        Reliable opening batsman Stephen Murdoch has been handed the captaincy.
                        Young batsmen Harry Boam and Kane Williamson (both 21 years old) have been included, along with Tim Weston who has been the most prolific batsman during the domestic season.
                        Neither side has selected a spinner, so Vettori is again 12th man.

S.Murdoch (capt)
                        J.Raval
                        S.Wells
                        T.Weston
                        H.Boam
                        K.Williamson
                        J.Ryder
                        K.Van Wyk (wk)
                        D.Tuffey
                        T.Boult
                        B.Arnel

Comment

Zimbabwe gets one test per tour for the first year then two all the ones after that I think I remember someone saying.

Interesting side there. I've found that Wagner and Brownlie did pretty well for me

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie View Post
                            Zimbabwe gets one test per tour for the first year then two all the ones after that I think I remember someone saying.

Interesting side there. I've found that Wagner and Brownlie did pretty well for me
                            I'm keeping an eye on both Wagner and Brownlie. They're certainly in the reckoning.
                            Our batting is going well, but our bowling lacks bite.

Comment

NZ v ZIMBABWE (One off Test)

We were put into bat on a very cloudy day, the only day of the five to have such conditions. We therefore took our time, hoping to build a big total and bat just the once.

Then another spanner was thrown into the works when Tuffey was felled by a bouncer and assisted from the field in obvious pain. The news was not good - he had suffered a fracture and would be out of all cricket for the next month.
                              Our bowling attack now consisted of Boult, Arnel and Ryder. Wells and Murdoch would have to bowl more than usual, and Williamson might need to provide some overs of spin if conditions suited later on.

With the loss of some time to rain, plus our handicapped bowling attack, it was always going to be difficult to bowl the Zimbabweans out twice.

Comment

NZ Squad for ODIs v Zimbabwe

Opening Batsmen
                                B.Hatwell
                                J.Raval
                                S.Murdoch

Other Batsmen
                                K.Williamson
                                H.Boam
                                R.Taylor (capt)
                                S.Stewart

Keepers
                                K.Van Wyk
                                D.de Boorder

All-Rounders
                                S.Wells
                                A.Ellis

Pace Bowlers
                                T.Boult
                                B.Arnel

Spin Bowlers
                                T.Nethula
                                B.Martin
                                Brendon McCullum and Daryl Tuffey were both unavailable through injury.
                                Dan Vettori missed the cut along with some other big names.

Comment

Working...
                                X