One Day International Cricket Rule Alterations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Day International Cricket Rule Alterations

Just a question regarding the current developments in the game.

The abolition of runners, using a new ball from each end in one-dayers, and restricting when the batting and bowling Powerplays can be taken were among the recommendations of the ICC Chief Executives' Committee

Will the developments in this link be in ICC2011 or is it too late to implement them?

The current confirmed rule alterations are:
    • No runners in international cricket
    • New balls from both ends in ODIs
    • Batting and bowling Powerplays to be taken between overs 16 and 40
    • Captains to be suspended after only two over-rate breaches in a year, as opposed to the existing three

Some of these are not applicable to ICC but the powerplay rule seems interesting.

Originally posted by Chasjs View Post
    The current confirmed rule alterations are:
    • No runners in international cricket
    • New balls from both ends in ODIs
    • Batting and bowling Powerplays to be taken between overs 16 and 40
    • Captains to be suspended after only two over-rate breaches in a year, as opposed to the existing three
    Interested to see how the no-runner deal will go - more big hitting if you get injured?

New ball from each end is a good idea - haven't they tried that before, though?

I would have liked to see the Powerplays being changed to between overs 20 and 40, but that's just me.

I think the suspension of a captain should be after one breach, and loss of match fees for the series - not that the match fee ever seems to worry the players.

Just my 2 cents worth
    World Serious Cricket

Comment

Originally posted by Phylos Fett View Post
      Interested to see how the no-runner deal will go - more big hitting if you get injured?

New ball from each end is a good idea - haven't they tried that before, though?

I would have liked to see the Powerplays being changed to between overs 20 and 40, but that's just me.

I think the suspension of a captain should be after one breach, and loss of match fees for the series - not that the match fee ever seems to worry the players.

Just my 2 cents worth
      Some of the best knocks have come when players have been 'injured' or 'tired'. Off the top of my head I think of Shane Watson's 185* against Bangladesh. He said the only reason he was so aggressive was because he was a bit weary and didn't want to run much.

They tried it before in the 1992 World Cup. No idea how it went, but it seems a reasonable inclusion. It's about time the bowlers got some support.

I see your point, but if you restrict the times that powerplays can be used too much then you may as well take the choice away from the players altogether. I like this as it encourages both positive batting and wily bowling - and powerplays don't always work in favour of the batsmen as we have seen many times.

Comment

I think over rate breaches need to affect more people then just the bowling side's captain. During the last ashes there were many, many, many times when the bowler was ready and waiting for the batsmen to stop preparing.....

Comment

Originally posted by outbreak View Post
          I think over rate breaches need to affect more people then just the bowling side's captain. During the last ashes there were many, many, many times when the bowler was ready and waiting for the batsmen to stop preparing.....
          *cough* Jonathan Trott *cough*.

Comment

Absolutely no reason why teams shouldn't be able to bowl 15 overs an hour. 4 minutes for an over is plenty of time.

As for how the rules affect us and the game. Barring any major issues in actually implementing them (all well and good saying "Yup, we'll do it" but you never know what can happen, especially so close to release), don't see any issues with it being in 2011.

Comment

Working...
            X