New Cricket Australia Contract List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Cricket Australia Contract List

Katich dropped from the list and some interesting choices here.

It seems a little spinner heavy. I would have liked to have seen some players actually prove that they deserve the contratcs, and that players that are performing to have kept them. Katich is a performer. Hughes, who has kept his contract - well, I am still waiting for him to be a serious option as an opening batsman...
    World Serious Cricket

Originally posted by Phylos Fett View Post
    Katich dropped from the list and some interesting choices here.

It seems a little spinner heavy. I would have liked to have seen some players actually prove that they deserve the contratcs, and that players that are performing to have kept them. Katich is a performer. Hughes, who has kept his contract - well, I am still waiting for him to be a serious option as an opening batsman...
    Yes there are some...... interesting decisions. I do see how they would want to lose Kato, Punter and Huss at different times instead of all at once like what happened with Martyn, Langer, Warnie, and McGrath.

What I don't see the point of is the giving of a contract to Cummins. I agree that he is a fantastic up-and-coming player, but seriously I think that it would've been better to give a contract to someone who has shown a little more (and had the chance to), like Hazlewood, Copeland, Starc, George, Cutting etc. I also think that it's a bit harsh dropping Mckay seeing how well he did in his last appearance (even if it was a Sri Lankan team that didn't seem to have the hunger they did earlier on).

And I find it interesting that they have not included Beer in the contracts. Hopefully this means that they will bring Hauritz back as I think that he is by far the best spinner we have atm, especially with all the time and work that's gone into him. And I don't see the point of having Doherty and Krejza in as well. I think that with Steven Smith in the team they'll only need Hauritz as the number one spinner and Smith as the second to be called upon if necessary. And on an occasion when the the pitch is spinning I believe that we already have enough spin options without Krejza and Doherty. I am referring to Clarke, White (who I think should bowl more, but currently doesn't warrant his place in the team until he shakes his bad form) and D. Hussey. So that's already 5 options for spin, the ability to have 3 seamers (plus Watto) and also bat deep with Johnson potentially at 9.

That's some of my opinions on the contract list for 2011 and I'm sorry if this post is a bit long, I'm just passionate about it I suppose. And when you're passionate about something the thoughts just flow.

Comment

Originally posted by ab5ides1 View Post
      Yes there are some...... interesting decisions. I do see how they would want to lose Kato, Punter and Huss at different times instead of all at once like what happened with Martyn, Langer, Warnie, and McGrath.
      I can understand the idea behind it, but I would have thought that Punter would be the first to retire (or be pushed, if his current Test form continues, or if he is forced to bat down the order. which is a real possibility, especially if they want to bring Khawaja into the side).

What I don't see the point of is the giving of a contract to Cummins. I agree that he is a fantastic up-and-coming player, but seriously I think that it would've been better to give a contract to someone who has shown a little more (and had the chance to), like Hazlewood, Copeland, Starc, George, Cutting etc. I also think that it's a bit harsh dropping Mckay seeing how well he did in his last appearance (even if it was a Sri Lankan team that didn't seem to have the hunger they did earlier on).
      Especially given that Cummins is suffering from a back strain. I would have watched him for at least another season or two to see if he is going to be the kind of bowler that spends half the time on the field and half the time recovering from injury.

And I find it interesting that they have not included Beer in the contracts. Hopefully this means that they will bring Hauritz back as I think that he is by far the best spinner we have atm, especially with all the time and work that's gone into him. And I don't see the point of having Doherty and Krejza in as well. I think that with Steven Smith in the team they'll only need Hauritz as the number one spinner and Smith as the second to be called upon if necessary. And on an occasion when the the pitch is spinning I believe that we already have enough spin options without Krejza and Doherty. I am referring to Clarke, White (who I think should bowl more, but currently doesn't warrant his place in the team until he shakes his bad form) and D. Hussey. So that's already 5 options for spin, the ability to have 3 seamers (plus Watto) and also bat deep with Johnson potentially at 9.
      I think David Hussey would slot into Smith's spot in the Test side fairly comfortably, at least until Smith gets a bit more experience and/or proves that he is ready to play with the big boys. As for White, I read an article a recently (I think it was around the Bangladesh tour) that White doesn't want to bowl. I think this is a big mistake, as, honestly, I don't think he's good enough to warrant a spot based on his batting performance alone.

That's some of my opinions on the contract list for 2011 and I'm sorry if this post is a bit long, I'm just passionate about it I suppose. And when you're passionate about something the thoughts just flow.
      It's alright, I tend to ramble on a bit myself at times.
      World Serious Cricket

Comment

Have to agree with Warne's comments on this. Still not really seeing the decisions I think Australian cricket has to make. Is Ponting realistically going to be at the next world cup? Can he really overcome the hurt of 3 ashes defeats to beat England in England in 2013? Is he not just going to be a bit "in the way" of Clarke re-building the team?

Comment

Daft stuff. Dropping one of the better batsmen in the world, not from the team but from the 25 man contracted players, for an 18 year old seamer with no experience? It's fine to ease Katich out, I guess, but easing him out is better than this, chances are Katich will get more game time for Australia than Cummins this year, as it only takes one injury to an opener before they come knocking on his door...

Comment

Based on age alone, I figured that these guys would have retired in this order - Ponting, Hussey, Katich. Based on current form I figured they'd be pushed in the following order - Ponting, Hussey, Katich. But that's just me.
            World Serious Cricket

Comment

There is hope for us ICC folk though - so long as Katich doesn't retire, he'll be available for selection - so we can pick him in the Australian team!
              World Serious Cricket

Comment

Originally posted by Phylos Fett View Post
                There is hope for us ICC folk though - so long as Katich doesn't retire, he'll be available for selection - so we can pick him in the Australian team!
                I haven't actually picked him much though cos Hughes has been so overpowered.

Comment

Originally posted by ab5ides1 View Post
                  I haven't actually picked him much though cos Hughes has been so overpowered.
                  Yeah. Never really understood that - I don't really rate Hughes as a player of the future - maybe he'll come good in real life when he hits his late 20s. Maybe...
                  World Serious Cricket

Comment

After thinking about this for a while (and reading an article about Shaun Marsh sticking his hand up for selection as an opener) I thought I'd put on paper my Australian XI, based on the contracted players:

1 MEK Hussey
                    2 SR Watson
                    3 UT Khawaja
                    4 RT Ponting
                    5 MJ Clarke
                    6 DJ Hussey
                    7 TD Paine
                    8 MG Johnson
                    9 NM Hauritz
                    10 BW Hilfenhaus
                    11 PM Siddle
                    World Serious Cricket