Barney Gibson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barney Gibson

I was just reading about this youngster here and was thinking that he seemed to do a decent job for Yorkshire. 6 catches, and only let through 14 byes, which seems tidy for a FC debut. A star of the future, or just a novelty act?
    Last edited by Phylos Fett; 04-30-2011, 03:48 AM.
    World Serious Cricket

And will he be in Yorkshire's squad in ICC 2011?

Comment

Originally posted by royzan92 View Post
      And will he be in Yorkshire's squad in ICC 2011?
      I don't know why he wouldn't be, but if you noticed he batted at number 11 so I'm not sure how good a batsman he is.

Comment

Looks like Yorkshire have decided to go for another keeper in their latest FC match. Maybe it was just a novelty act after all, considering the 10 wicket victory they had in the match with Gibson, maybe the thought they could win with any old keeper in the team?
        World Serious Cricket

Comment

Originally posted by Phylos Fett View Post
          Looks like Yorkshire have decided to go for another keeper in their latest FC match. Maybe it was just a novelty act after all, considering the 10 wicket victory they had in the match with Gibson, maybe the thought they could win with any old keeper in the team?
          I really hope not. I dislike when teams do things like that just for records. I mean, if he's good enough then play him, but if not then just wait til they are. Don't rush someone in for one games just so you get a record.

Comment

Of course, I could just be being cynical - maybe he has exams, or something, being a 15 year old, and still in school...
            World Serious Cricket

Comment

For the friendly that Gibson played Yorkshire rested a large proportion of their first team squad. Both Gerard Brophy and Jonny Bairstow are currently in Yorkshire's first team, with who ever is not keeping wicket playing as a batsman, as both of them have scored plenty of runs and looked in good form this season and in view of the current hectic county season, it was unlikely they were ever going to play in that friendly. Gibson played for Yorkshire 2nds at the back end of last season and has been played for the 2nds this season, and first class friendlies are a good way of giving youngsters experience without too much risk. Therefore, I don't think it was a novelty act and I think that Yorkshire really do value him as a talent for the future.
              Last edited by bnd3; 05-05-2011, 12:41 PM. Reason: Wrong use of 'there'.

Comment

Originally posted by bnd3 View Post
                For the friendly that Gibson played Yorkshire rested a large proportion of there first team squad. Both Gerard Brophy and Jonny Bairstow are currently in Yorkshire's first team, with who ever is not keeping wicket playing as a batsman, as both of them have scored plenty of runs and looked in good form this season and in view of the current hectic county season, it was unlikely they were ever going to play in that friendly. Gibson played for Yorkshire 2nds at the back end of last season and has been played for the 2nds this season, and first class friendlies are a good way of giving youngsters experience without too much risk. Therefore, I don't think it was a novelty act and I think that Yorkshire really do value him as a talent for the future.
                That's good to hear. I don't keep up with the 2nd team competitions so I don't know much about players away from first team stuff.

Comment

Cool. I'm kinda glad they weren't just doing it as a bit of a lark!
                  World Serious Cricket

Comment

I've put him in for the 2011 database. If anyone disagrees, then please say so, as others have said, he's about 3rd choice at Yorks. Because of his achievement, I think it's worth including him, even if he is a Junior (which I don't normally include unless they've played a few games, and various other things, like size of squad, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by Sureshot View Post
                      I've put him in for the 2011 database. If anyone disagrees, then please say so, as others have said, he's about 3rd choice at Yorks. Because of his achievement, I think it's worth including him, even if he is a Junior (which I don't normally include unless they've played a few games, and various other things, like size of squad, etc.)
                      It'll be interesting training up a 15 year old
                      World Serious Cricket

Comment

I don't know if you've noticed by county sides often play their youngsters against university sides. Look at Surrey v Cambridge, a match that started today - their side was made up of youngsters like George Edwards, Matthew Dunn, Rory Burns etc. Only KP has any substantial first class experience.

Yorkshire clearly felt that Barney Gibson deserved a shot behind the stumps in a university match, and the fact he batted at no.11 is because he is FIFTEEN years old. I hardly think he'd cope too well against 80mph+ bowlers, and when they have players like Joe Sayers and Joe Root playing, he's obviously not going to get a shot.

Comment

Correction, Root wasn't playing but first team players Sayers, Ballance and Wainwright were and they all made runs.

Comment

The fact that Gibson is younger than me and has already played a first class match boggles my mind... Sometimes I get the feeling I'm never going to be an England regular >.>

Comment

Originally posted by thecolumnist View Post
                              I don't know if you've noticed by county sides often play their youngsters against university sides. Look at Surrey v Cambridge, a match that started today - their side was made up of youngsters like George Edwards, Matthew Dunn, Rory Burns etc. Only KP has any substantial first class experience.

Yorkshire clearly felt that Barney Gibson deserved a shot behind the stumps in a university match, and the fact he batted at no.11 is because he is FIFTEEN years old. I hardly think he'd cope too well against 80mph+ bowlers, and when they have players like Joe Sayers and Joe Root playing, he's obviously not going to get a shot.
                              All of my knowledge of County Cricket comes from ICC and the very rare article that I read on cricinfo, so I wasn't aware of that.

I did figure that the young fellah was batting at number 11 so he didn't get hurt, though. Still, at 15, he must have pretty good reflexes, especially as a keeper, so he might well be able to handle the bat and the pace.
                              World Serious Cricket

Comment

Working...
                              X