Danny
    Cameron 3 244 472 43 22288 51.95 235 63 106

Harry
    Edwards 4 299 564 53 25649 50.19 322 67 133

Jack
    Ramshaw 5 305 577 87 25377 51.79 215 62 141

Graham
    Winterson 6 331 602 83 25729 49.57 252 62 142

This was my batting line up for about 15 years but I never won the county championship with them, however I did finished 2nd about 5 or 6 times. The main reason cause I never had a great bowler on the team

So my question is does anyone else have a great batting line up and never won the county championship

My version was was ICC 2008
    Last edited by stephen kennedy; 04-27-2011, 01:34 PM.

so.. how many of these guys were england contracted? 15 years is a long time to keep losing..

Comment

Only the top 3 batsman but didn’t play that many games for England, only Mark Carlisle play for England about 30 times

Comment

Well to win county Matches, you need to take 20 wickets in 4 days....

So a good bowler is very much important and needed, I'd say.

Comment

Four of these players I got in the youth system in the same year. I played Phil Siggins straight away with no training at all cause he played in 10 FCM , but the strange thing was I won the county championship 5 time in a row before I got these players lol as my main two bowlers retired at the same time

Comment

Thats kind of what i was getting at, probably best to let some of these guys go (can't imagine they were cheap) and use the cash on bowlers instead!

Comment

yeah i know but england was taking any bowlers who were good during that time, but at the end of the day it was still fun to play with a batting line up like that and i did win the other competition with this team and yes they were all expensive, but as i said it was fun

Comment

I've had some pretty strong batting line-ups in my time (not sure that I've had one as strong as that), and it used to drive me nuts not being able to get good enough bowlers to help them win the championship!

I managed a few times to complete a season without losing a FC game - used to dream that one day I could win every game in a season...

Having an all batting side makes it hard (I think) to set your pitch conditions - do you just have batting strips and try to bat your opposition out of the game, or do you go for a bowling strip and hope that your batters will prevail?
                World Serious Cricket

Comment

I always try to buy the best bowlers around even if it means having a few less able batsmen because we must take 20 wickets to win FC matches & County-Championship is always my main focus. I think it's easier to get an average batting-side to put up decent totals with judicious aggression-management than getting 20 wickets with an average bowling-side. I always try to get at least one strong bowling-allrounder as that affords me the luxury of playing an extra-spinner if the opposition batsmen mostly have a pace-preference and/or if the pitch is going to assist spinners.
                  Last edited by enigma; 04-30-2011, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Bowlers are necessary mate. Being an Indian, I love spinners and I always have two quality spinners in the squad. My home turf will be a spinning track so they can wreck havoc and when playing away games, I'd normally go with just one spinner. But with two quality spinners and a good overseas pace bowler as the spearhead, I generally had no troubles running over sides. I don't know why but English players just can't play spin!

Comment

Working...
                    X