2005 compared with 2010 disappointing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 compared with 2010 disappointing

I got the free 2005 copy...i had never played 2005 before and directly played 2009 and when i compare 2005 with 2010 then id have to say ill play 2005 over 2010 any day...if i could get 2005 with an updated database then id play it more than 2010...it seems icc has not improved but has gone worse...the 2d graphics in 2005 are so realistic the shots the footwork but in 2010 it all feels fake...im still playing 2005 over 2010 and if 2011 doesnt bring changes to the graphics and gameplay and bring a bit more realism to the game then ill just have to stick to 2005 im afraid ...

PS: THE 3D GRAPHICS SUCK.

There are lots of additions I like about 2010. I turn the graphics off mostly (once I've established that it makes no difference to gameplay)
    I sort of know where you are coming from. The 2D was "fluid" and it was done from a distance that allowed your imagination (remember that?) to fill in the gaps.

However, being "up close and personal" with a lego faced man who looks nothing like your cricketing hero's doesn't allow for any imagination at all. And when he chinese cuts the ball for four for the umpteenth time and plays these very un-aesthetic shots (hammering it off the back foot at silly points head - who takes the catch as simple as that) and all those other silly looking shots and reactions. Well I just turn it off. The game plays quicker without them and for me they add nothing.

I've mostly played 2002 (I'm now in 2266 with one team) because of the speed of gameplay, the ability to add your own player photo's (I don't care about not having already on the game - but I do want to be able to add my own)
    And little things like being able to save as many team set up's as you like (not just "Last FC" ,and "Last OD") and a more flexible contract system.

If 2011 has the stats update I will probably start to play up to date versions again - as long as the 4th innings "superplayer" glitches are sorted out as well.

In short. I sort of feel your pain, but want to support any cricket game going. Given the gazillions of dollars in World cricket at the moment, the fact that it's left up to Chris and Oli to provide any half decent games really is a shocking state of affairs.

Scritty
    Last edited by Scritty; 04-26-2011, 06:32 PM.
    The continued lack of stats in ICC is not so much the elephant in the room - as the Brontosaurus in the bathtub.

Comment

I made this thread because i know cc and icc are the only 2 games left in the competition...i want them to be better because i want the cricket games to survive and playing 2005 was a real shocker to me seeing how much icc has gone down from 2005 to 2010....the shots are entirely unrealistic in icc10 the catches are unrealistic ..the run outs are unrealistic ...these things in icc 05 were perfect...instead of building around icc05 they managed to create a bad game....like i said if they would bring back icc05 with updatred database then ill buy it...but this rant will go unheard as usual...

Comment

I think it's a little unfair to say that Cricket Captain has gone down from 2005, I think the 2010 is a better and more realistic game. I do agree with you over the graphics though, I was quite fond of the original graphics, and now hardly ever watch them. I also liked the backgrounds and the general screens between matches more than the current blue one. However if I was the developer I wouldn't have spent as much time on the graphics as has been, but to give credit where credit is due, the match engine is much improved especially in the shortened forms of the games. In the old games bowlers had too much of an advantage, especially sla, they were awesome. My personal favourite was 2001 ICC, there was no annoying block of 20:20 in the middle of the season, and it had the real badges and had photos. Hopefully in the future we will see more retention of records and statistics, more possible interaction players, and more depth with 2nd teams, youth teams etc. But I think ICC is slowly going in the same direction and should be given as much support as possible, and i still think it is far ahead of cc, especially with regards to the match engine and realism.

Comment

I agree with bnd3, it wouldn't be fair to say that 2005 is better than 2010. I don't think graphics was ever a priority for ICC, gameplay was & is, & that's where it is head & shoulders above other cricket-games & as has been said, there've been improvements in gameplay (although some may argue they haven't progressed as fast as they probably should've). Although I'll concede that 2010 graphics aren't that realistic but 2005 ones aren't either, & it could be because I've gotten used to them but I prefer the 3D graphics over the older ones & I don't think it'd be a nice idea to go back; & if they want to improve graphics then they're better off putting in more realistic 3D ones rather than going back.
          Last edited by enigma; 04-29-2011, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bnd3 View Post
            the match engine is much improved especially in the shortened forms of the games. In the old games bowlers had too much of an advantage,
            I agree with this. But the unacknowledged "super 4th innings" issue (I won't call it bug - becasue it probably isn't) means that I find the longer versions of the game very unrealistic in the new version.

I had to stop playing after the 3rd consecutive miracle 4th innings in a test match when a side that had been bowled out for 250 on a good pitch suddenly managed to bat 2 days to make 450+ for 3 on a (then) shocking pitch to either save or win the game

Yeah it happens IRL now and again, (VVS Laxman V Australia almost 10 years ago would be the last time I can remember it) but in ICC2010 it's the rule rather than the exception.

The fact that I was the beneficiary of one of these "miracle" innings didn't make it feel any better.

Scritty
            The continued lack of stats in ICC is not so much the elephant in the room - as the Brontosaurus in the bathtub.

Comment

i just downloaded the 2005 and turn it off within 5 minutes cause the graphics were OMG please help me i was in a tree

PS i thing you two guys were drunk all the time when you played 2005 if you think the graphics were better than 2010 but at the end of the day if you like them enjoy playing it im going back to play 2010 with better graphics

double ps Durham rule !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

^
                Hilarious response lol That's how I'd feel if ICC chose to go back to older graphics, especially since I play with highlights on "every ball".

Comment

Originally posted by stephen kennedy View Post
                  PS i thing you two guys were drunk all the time when you played 2005 if you think the graphics were better than 2010 but at the end of the day if you like them enjoy playing it im going back to play 2010 with better graphics
                  Not really that bothered about the GFX at all. but whereas the old ones allowed you to use you imagination (because the POV was 120 yards away) the new ones show faces right up close that look nothing like the players they are supposed to be.

Also the shots. The animation in the 3D engines is really pretty poor.
                  • A cover drive looked like a cover drive in the old (even if you did have to squint) Now it looks like a grown man laying an egg while signalling in a helicopter in 3D - and then - far too frequently - the cover drives misses, the ball goes between his legs and scuttles off to fine leg for runs (often 4 of them)
                  • Also the full blooded pull or hook, the short square leg fielder is maybe 6 yards from the bat as it leaves going maybe 110mph. He stands up, and take a simple catch in front of his face. Good job - cause if he missed he wouldn't have a face - or a head to speak of
                  • Ball whistles in the air. Long on faces away from direction of the ball does some some of "star jump" and catches it without even looking at it.
                  • Ball cut down to third man, it's hardly travelling. Third man fielder is 15 yards from where the ball will cross the rope. By the time the ball DOES cross the rope he's still 10-12 yards from where he should be. He's travelled 3 yards in about 5 seconds. He could almost of just "fell over" where he was and reached it - but he never does.My six year old travels twice that speed.
                  • Maybe this is perspective I don't know - but it looks crap.
                  • Ball slapped for six over cover boundary. Now I know Jayasuriya is known for this (or was) but now apparently half my team can do it - and quite regularly.
                  • Batting shots simply don't look like any shots I've ever seen (well maybe Tufnell played them)

I could go on and on. Sure the GFX are 3d, and that is better I suppose - but the faces look like the cast of Dad's army and the animation is of some sport that barely has any resemblence to real cricket.

For that - for my money - the old ones are not just a bit better - but far better. They look like cricketers not lego men doing contortions.

Not vital for me anyway. I sim rather than play. Once I have made a few dozen custom fields I just check where a batter is scoring once he gets past 30 and change line length and field accordingly, then mix it up a bit.

I don't "autoplay" the games - but I watch very few individual balls. I don't think my cricket loving sensibilities could stomach it.

Scritty

Comment

The "super 4th innings" issue hasn't been ignored. The reason why the problem came about was due to some bugs with the earlier versions of 2010 (which is why it wasn't in 2009, as some stated in the other thread about it), these were fixed (but they won't work with old save games from previous versions).

That said, we will review and analyse it again with 2011 and make any adjustments that are needed. It doesn't help that this sort of thing can also be subjective (to a point, obviously) and dependent on the make-up of your team and various other factors. All I'll say is I've not found it a problem since we sorted out the issues. It is very important to us, as the gameplay is the core of the game (which I think most will agree with). It's definitely on our minds for 2011 and we'll look to make sure the balance is good. Real life cricket is also changing considerably (Ravi helped Essex chase 360 the other day, didn't he? Heard the wicket was pretty tough too), so that's another factor that we'll consider in getting the balance right for 2011. But we're definitely not ignoring it.

I was meaning to reply to this (when it was bought up in the other thread), but with the downtime of the site and working on some files for 2011, it got pushed to the side a little.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, everything posted on here will be read. We may not reply to it all, but I will endeavour to read it all, otherwise we aren't maximising what we can get out of your feedback. Which benefits all of us. If you think we've missed something, then feel free to raise the issue again, be it through PM or on the board.

Re: Graphics. Yes, I think they are a bit like marmite. Some will always prefer 2D, it is what we grew up on ICC with after all. It is quite retro. The 3D has some flaws, getting a greater array of animations is something we're looking in to. I think there are some similarities with the 3D in FM actually, that took a few years to get it right (and given there was limited time to work on it for 2009, we've missed a year, really). It's an area that will always be hard to make it right for all concerned, as people want different things. We'll keep tweaking it when and where we can.

I agree that some of the shots look weird, others look quite nice (there is actually a really good cover drive in there). I'm hoping that the 3D experience will be improved this year as we respond to the criticism of where catches are taken. We'll try and look at some of the shot placement too.

I prefer 3D, but that's not to say there isn't room for improvement. It took me a while to like it, again, like I did with FM's 3D.

Comment

The older versions where without a doubt far better with the 2d graphics.

The newer versions are basically just an update with T20 and Australian league thrown in.

Comment

Just Played the demo its the first time i have played since 2005 and i was pretty disappointed. I don't really have a problem with the graphics its the game play the I found most disappointed. With Yorkshire i thought id bring in Mcculum and Gayle to open the batting for the twenty/20 comp in my last game chasing 150 Gayle was out LBW for 18 of 23 balls, this happened very regularly during the season with him and Mccullum struggling to hit it of the square for the duration of the tournament. It wasn't just them though all my batsmen seemed to struggle badly.

Also there are no where near enough 6's in one day and twenty/20 formats with batsmen consistently seeming to get bogged down often by spinners like Rashid who are far to good on the game taking 90 wickets at 22 in the first year. I feel the lack of realism makes it hard for me to enjoy playing the game as players fail to play like their real life counterparts. Not really expecting close likeness but only 2 boundaries regularly being hit in the first 10 overs of a 20 over match is just a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry22 View Post
                          Also there are no where near enough 6's in one day and twenty/20 formats with batsmen consistently seeming to get bogged down often by spinners
                          The lack of boundaries and the pre-eminence od spinners were two big issues in teh earlier forms of the game.

Given that in English T20 the average score is 148 in the first innings (or was at the start of the 2010 season when I last read it) I got scores close to that regularly. However the standard deviation of average would have described a very different bell curve to the real thing.

The run rate back then was entirely consistent. If you risked it by putting up aggression - you just got out, so you didn't, and the bell curve would have a very pronounced middle.

In REAL T20 cricket there are quite a few sides who fails to get 120 and others that get 180+ quite often.

Had very few 180's back in the old game - not enough boundaries.

So the overall mean would have been consisten, but the standard deviation against the mean would have been very different.

And spinners... I have 3 in every side I have in ICC2002, if they don't take test wickets at under 18 - I get rid of them.

Scritty

Comment

Can't we just have an option where we can play with 2D or 3D highlights. It would be nice to have the option like FM!

Comment

The thing I enjoyed about the older versions were the historical series. It was kinda cool to be able to play with (and against) some of this players!
                              World Serious Cricket

Comment

Working...
                              X