Australian International Career

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian International Career

Hey guys, new to this forum and thought i'd start one of these considering theres not many on Australia. I've been playing for a few years now and try playing with a team under the age of 30 for a big challenge. I've managed to do alright as of 2013 coming 3rd in test matches and 4th in ODI's.

My team for the test tour of Sri Lanka in the opening months of 2014 is:

P.Hughes
    U.Khawaja
    M.Cosgrove
    C.Bannister (ReGen averages 44 in tests and 32 in ODI's)
    C.White
    A.Finch
    C.Lynn
    M.Wade
    T.Paine
    S.Smith
    M.Henriques
    J.Hastings
    L.Feldman
    B.Cutting
    P.Siddle
    J.Pattinson
    T.Copeland
    B.Cockley
    C.Boyce

My team for the first test match was:

U.Khawaja
    P.Hughes
    M.Cosgrove
    S.Smith
    C.Bannister
    C.White
    M.Wade
    J.Hastings
    C.Boyce (spin friendly pitches)
    P.Siddle
    T.Copeland

Australia won the toss on a flat surface offering a bit to spin and elected to bat, hoping the sri-lankan spinners have a reduced effect not bowling last. Khawaja and Hughes put on a solid 128 run partnership, with Hughes getting out caught behind off a stunning catch, before Cosgrove and Smith fall cheaply. That brings Carl Bannister to the crease, who is struggling for form, previously having an average of over 50 in test matches. Bannister and Khawaja both score hundreds and have a hugh 300+ partnership which bring the Australian score to 501/6 dec.

The Sri-Lankan first innings started poorly, with their openers both getting out within the first ten overs to Trent Copeland. After 18 overs of pace, Cameron Boyce, a young leggie from Queensland was introduced. In his first over, he produced a wicket and a leg before appeal. This prompted me to introduce Steve Smith into the attack, and that didn't work out with Smith copping 47 runs from 7 overs. However, from the other end, Boyce picked up 3 wickets in an 11 over spell, costing only 33 runs. Copeland and Siddle helped takeout the tail, although resistance pushed the score past 300 and helped them avoid the follow on.

M.Wade was a surprise inclusion at the top of the order for the second innings, accompanying P.Hughes in an attempt to score quick runs at it was early in the 4th day with 2 innings left. Wade fell cheaply, which brough Cosgrove to the crease. Cosgrove and Hughes scored fluently until tea, where Australia had a lead of 421. Australia declared over tea forcing Sri Lanka to face a tough final session before having to face out a whole day.

Copeland and Siddle were ineffective in their first spells of 5 and 7 overs respectively. Hastings as first change immediately worked as he picked up 2 wickets in his first 2 overs replacing Copeland. Boyce replaced Siddle as 2nd change, and could not manage a wicket in the final session of the 4th day. On the 5th day, Sri Lanka seemed like they would manage a draw, until a brilliant spell by young leggie Steven Smith forced a collapse, claiming 4 scalps in a 12 over spell. Needing 3 wickets to win in the last session, Trent Copeland and Cameron Boyce cleaned up the tail with 45 mins to spare in the game.

MAN OF THE MATCH : Trent Copeland for his 8 wickets in the match.

any feedback guys ?

Comment

Working...
    X