Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Batting and Bowling Order - Are they important? Do they even matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batting and Bowling Order - Are they important? Do they even matter?

I've been playing the game for a while, and I have often wondered whether Batting and Bowling order really matters?

Traditionally, I place two openers at the top of the Batting order (if they are available, and in reasonable form, relative to the team), and then fill the remaining places with Batsmen in accordance to their batting averages (if they have played more than 10 matches; if they haven't, I normally place them at the end of the recognized batsmen, until they get to the magic 10 matches. I even do this with potential new opening batsmen (if I already have two guys to open the batting)), then my bowlers. I'll put an allrounder that isn't doing well ahead of the bowlers (to be honest, I don't know why some players are listed as allrounders, but that is a rant for another post!). If I don't have two openers, I'll use one (or even two) non-openers in these positions.

I have begun to wonder, if I should bother. Is an opener better suited to open the batting by virtue of the little O next to his name? Or is it just a bit of flavor added to the game that means nothing? Does he have a better chance of surviving the new ball (the first 15 overs, if I am reading the game right, are classed as the New Ball period) than other batsmen?

Then there is the rest of the batting order. Do certain batsman shine at particular spots in the order? Or are they not really affected by being shuffled up and down the order (at my whim)? I've noticed that the AI will move its batting line up all around the place from series to series, so it is (I assume) basing it upon some formula, and not necessarily that Ponting is a Number 3 batsman, or Hussey is a Number 6, etc.

Traditionally, I open the bowling with my two bowlers with the best bowling averages, that have an "F" in their bowling style (whether it is F, MF or FM), and (all things being equal) I'll bring my change bowlers on who have the next best bowling averages. After this I try to rotate my bowlers based on who is taking wickets and/or bowling economically (sometimes this isn't an option - if I go into the game with 4 quicks, they pretty much get rotated in and out, as there is no real way to bowl them otherwise, without one or more of them becoming too fatigued). I try to avoid bringing spinners on until the New Ball period is over.

Again, I wonder, are there some bowlers that are just better with the new ball/old ball? Should we have a little O next to their name to indicate that these guys are opening bowlers, and will make better use of the new ball than, say, another bowler that has a similar style and average?

Just curious what other people do, and/or think.

For the record, I am referring to FC and Test matches here.
    World Serious Cricket

With regards to batting order I think it's partially down to just a general feeling. This is how I see it in FC/Test games.

I almost always open with 2 openers if I have 2 of good enough quality in my squad. Under the right circumstances I might open with a defensive batsman with a pace preference (preferably back foot and possibly off side aswell).

At number 3 I like to have a player who is solid and can be relied upon to see off the new ball incase of an early wicket. He needs to be a consistent run getter. I sometimes have an opener in here if I have 3 good ones (When I play as Lancs I like to open with Brown and Moore with Horton at 3). A pace preference is also useful here.

At 4 I think you need an aggressive player who can pile on the runs before the second new ball. Maybe useful to have a spin preference but doesn't matter too much.

Here, at 5, you need a player who can dig in and sure up an end in the event of a batting collapse. Think Brigadier Block himself, Paul Collingwood. Someone, if required, can score 60 off 200. I'd like a spin preference to help in this role, especially if your playing on the sub-continent. However, if all goes to plan he might end up batting at the second new ball so it's not a big deal.

If you have a number 6 batsman then they need to be a player who can take the game away from the opposition. A fluent batsman who can pile on the runs once, hopefully, the pressure has been lifted by the top 5 scoring a decent amount. I'd maybe consider this a role for a batsman who does well in OD cricket.

Your keeper would usually find himself at 6/7. As he's likely to bat with the tail quite often I generally shy away from defensive batsmen here. If I decide to chose a keeper who is a defensive batsmen then I'd consider having him higher up. The reason is that the tail probably won't last very long and you want someone who can come in and play their shots from the start because unless he's batting with a well set top order player it's the only way he'll get big runs.

As for the tail, just in who you feel is generally the better batsmen with a slight preference to have defensive batsmen higher up.

Comment

From my experience, batting order meant nothing. When I was new to ICC, playing ICC06, I was struggling. So to avoid the horribly annoying collapses, I put Katich and Clarke at 10 and 11 and hardly ever got a partnership of less than 100.

Comment

I normally play my batsmen anywhere, but I do find that some players do better in certain positions than others. I'm not sure if that happens because it's what I want to see though, or if it's to do with the match engine

Comment

@ Phylos Fett,

I have a similar line up but I prefer to have a aggressive opener who can take away the game in the start itself if he dos get going. It doesn't work always and often I do get bowled out for less than 200. But when it clicks I easily get 600+ in about 4 -5 sessions.

just saw that your from NC. Lovely place. I loved my time there.

Comment

Originally posted by poshin View Post
            @ Phylos Fett,

just saw that your from NC. Lovely place. I loved my time there.
            Cheers mate. Currently in Australia, atm, but I hope to get back to the USA soonish. At least in Australia they know what cricket is! :P
            World Serious Cricket

Comment

well that's true. I was in Charlotte and when I'd mention the word 'cricket' they'd point at the lawn and say..."I'm sure there's one over there"...

Comment

Yeah - using the phrase "I'm going to watch the cricket online" was always met with looks of confusion, as if it was some weird fetish site devoted to insects...
                World Serious Cricket

Comment

Working...
                X