Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

INDIAN DOMESTIC SEASON in cricket captain 2011???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• INDIAN DOMESTIC SEASON in cricket captain 2011???

Is it possible to include the Indian domestic season(Ranji Trophy) and domestic odi tournaments(duleep trophy) and also irani trophy in 2011 edition..It will generate huge interest in the game..with the cricket crazy indian public..

The teams that play all three forms of the game play in the Ranji Trophy (Super not Plate) for first class, the Vijay Hazare thingy for OD, and the Syed Mushtaq Ali whatchamacallit for T20. If one was implementing Indian domestic (as opposed to IPL), these would be the comps you would initially/essentially include. Duleep and Irani comps etc. I personally don't understand the significance of - if it was me I wouldn't bother with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingkong123 View Post
      Is it possible to include the Indian domestic season(Ranji Trophy) and domestic odi tournaments(duleep trophy) and also irani trophy in 2011 edition..It will generate huge interest in the game..with the cricket crazy indian public..
      Not going to happen. (Not in ICC 2011 at least)

Firstly, it'd be a gargantuan project to add the Indian-domestic, even adding the Australian-domestic was a big task. Not to mention there're many things that need to corrected/added to the game-play itself that adding new seasons could hardly be a priority.

Secondly, having lived in India, I think vast majority of Indians aren't at all interested in following domestic-cricket, mostly, they just follow the national side. In fact, most people in India wouldn't be able to name 5-10 uncapped domestic players playing for their state/city, let alone the whole team so I don't think adding Indian-domestic is at all going to make ICC sales skyrocket as much as you think.

The fact that you think Duleep Trophy is an OD tournament presents ample evidence of what I've just said about most Indians not following domestic-cricket.

Of course, I'd eventually like to see domestic seasons of all teams (Test-nations at least) but they can't be a priority when there're so many other issues that need fixing/improvement.

Originally posted by 6ry4nj View Post
      The teams that play all three forms of the game play in the Ranji Trophy (Super not Plate) for first class, the Vijay Hazare thingy for OD, and the Syed Mushtaq Ali whatchamacallit for T20. If one was implementing Indian domestic (as opposed to IPL), these would be the comps you would initially/essentially include. Duleep and Irani comps etc. I personally don't understand the significance of - if it was me I wouldn't bother with them.
      To be honest, in real-life, Duleep, NKV Salve, Deodhar & Irani Trophies are a bit more popular because they squeeze the talent-pool into less number of teams leading to a higher quality of cricket so these aren't just some insignificant tournaments. In fact, doing well in Duleep, Salve & Irani trophies can often bring players closer to a spot in the national side.

Further, saying that only Super-League should be included for the Indian-domestic is like saying, only Division One should be included for English-domestic. I believe it is always the endeavor of ICC-developers to make the game as realistic as possible so I'd assume that if & when they do include Indian-domestic, they'll want to include the whole season as it is rather than doing it in bits & pieces.

Sureshot has said here somewhere that they'd rather add fewer features & do it well rather than adding lots of features but without doing a good job at it & I tend to agree.

Comment

Originally posted by enigma View Post
        Sureshot has said here somewhere that they'd rather add fewer features & do it well rather than adding lots of features but without doing a good job at it & I tend to agree.
        That's where Cricket Coach has gone wrong. So many options, but nowhere near as good as ICC. Sometimes I play Cricket Coach for the teams like Ireland, but mostly just so I can go back to ICC and see how much better it actually is.

Comment

I'm Sri Lankan, I don't think I've ever played the English county part of the game, or even the Australian state part. If an Indian domestic element was introduced, I doubt I'd play it.

Comment

Originally posted by ab5ides1 View Post
            That's where Cricket Coach has gone wrong. So many options, but nowhere near as good as ICC. Sometimes I play Cricket Coach for the teams like Ireland, but mostly just so I can go back to ICC and see how much better it actually is.
            Yup, I have almost never played Cricket Coach (I guess I like ICC too much ) but based on what I've heard, that's what has happened with it. On the other hand though, I hope ICC don't end up mistaking stagnation for caution, which is what some ICC gamers might accuse them of but ICC is definitely the best game for "cricket-purists".

Originally posted by Machinax View Post
            I'm Sri Lankan, I don't think I've ever played the English county part of the game, or even the Australian state part. If an Indian domestic element was introduced, I doubt I'd play it.
            That's the thing with adding new seasons, it takes a lot of effort to put it in but people mostly from that particular country are going to be interested in playing it, it has very little in it for others; for example, what did adding the Aus-domestic did for most non-Aus-gamers? Nothing. (but may be it was a viable option according to developers because Aus is its largest target-market after Eng). On the other hand, if many of the aspects of the game-play that need improvement are worked on then that brings lots to the table for everyone.

Comment

Yup, I have almost never played Cricket Coach (I guess I like ICC too much ) but based on what I've heard, that's what has happened with it. On the other hand though, I hope ICC don't end up mistaking stagnation for caution, which is what some ICC gamers might accuse them of but ICC is definitely the best game for "cricket-purists".
              Yeah and that's why there isn't a massive market for the game, because there really aren't that many of us out there. Tons of people love the game of cricket, but that's where it stops. I just can't get enough of the numbers involved. As they say 'Cricket is a Numbers Game'. That's why I don't get too riled up if there isn't everything people want every year, they just don't have the manpower/money to do it.

Comment

That's the thing with adding new seasons, it takes a lot of effort to put it in but people mostly from that particular country are going to be interested in playing it, it has very little in it for others; for example, what did adding the Aus-domestic did for most non-Aus-gamers? Nothing. (but may be it was a viable option according to developers because Aus is its largest target-market after Eng). On the other hand, if many of the aspects of the game-play that need improvement are worked on then that brings lots to the table for everyone.
                As an Aussie gamer I'm glad they included it. It works a lot better to the English systems way I think. The points are simpler and when I play as an English county I find my self after 5 years with the same people I had when I played with a different county because they go on the transfer market and they're the best players so I pick 'em up. Meanwhile the way the Aussie game is set up means that you stay with roughly the same team for a long time (changing slowly with regens) and you (bond) with the team more and think of it as 'your' team because you made the stats, you didn't just grab someone all statted-up from the transfer pool. And I think that in order of prestige the domestic competitions probably go in this order: England, Australia, South Africa, India, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, Pakistan, West Indies, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe. That is a very crude guess as I am only familiar with Aus, Eng, SA, Ind, NZ and WI. Not sure how popular/well followed the others are.

Comment

Yeah and that's why there isn't a massive market for the game, because there really aren't that many of us out there. Tons of people love the game of cricket, but that's where it stops. I just can't get enough of the numbers involved. As they say 'Cricket is a Numbers Game'. That's why I don't get too riled up if there isn't everything people want every year, they just don't have the manpower/money to do it.
                  That was the point that the money/manpower is likely always going to be limited for ICC because there just aren't enough "cricket-purists" out there to buy this kind of game, most so called "cricket-fans" in my humble opinion are lost baseball-fans who only like to the ball being smashed around & don't appreciate the old-fashioned battle of attrition that ICC provides, hence they'll go for Brian Lara Series type of games & that's exactly why ICC must use its limited resources at satisfying maximum number of its existing gamers & that is most effectively done by improving the game-play which has something in it for every ICC-gamer as opposed to adding domestic-seasons, associate teams, etc

As an Aussie gamer I'm glad they included it. It works a lot better to the English systems way I think. The points are simpler and when I play as an English county I find my self after 5 years with the same people I had when I played with a different county because they go on the transfer market and they're the best players so I pick 'em up. Meanwhile the way the Aussie game is set up means that you stay with roughly the same team for a long time (changing slowly with regens) and you (bond) with the team more and think of it as 'your' team because you made the stats, you didn't just grab someone all statted-up from the transfer pool. And I think that in order of prestige the domestic competitions probably go in this order: England, Australia, South Africa, India, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, Pakistan, West Indies, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe. That is a very crude guess as I am only familiar with Aus, Eng, SA, Ind, NZ and WI. Not sure how popular/well followed the others are.
                  Well, I'm not saying that Aus-domestic shouldn't've been added or any other domestic-seasons shouldn't be added, just saying that it mayn't be a viable option for ICC to expend its limited resources on "niche-features", like domestic-seasons, for example.

I have yet to play Aus season to be honest (I might look into it though if I get bored of Eng-domestic) but that only goes to show what Machinax & I have said earlier that most people aren't usually very interested in playing other countries' domestic-seasons.

As for adding any new domestic-seasons goes, I don't think it'll necessarily come down to prestige but on how big the REAL target-market is & if it's worth investing in it while the same resources could be used to improve game-play that has something in it for every ICC-gamer.
                  Last edited by enigma; 03-09-2011, 01:11 PM.

Comment

I think I've stated before (and I may be just repeating myself, but...), but when Chris acquired the rights to the game after Empire went bust, made some massive changes. 2009 was released under our own volition, but it really was a case of just releasing what we could, it was very close to not being able to release at all. 2010 is, in my opinion, the start of a different era. We get to make the decisions, which makes a huge difference. I think 2010 made a big step forward with Aus domestic, which is great fun, not everyone will play it, but it's a very different domestic system to England. There are changes we'll make this year to improve on it and it'll be even better.

I'm excited about the future of ICC, not just for the PC, but on other platforms. The core of the game, the gameplay, the realism will always be our number one priority with the game. I don't think it's very fun if you're getting unrealistic results. We'll continue to make improvements to the game to make it even more realistic, not just this year, but planned over the next several releases. But precision tweaking isn't easy, especially with subjective aspects of the game.

Yep, everyone plays different modes. I mostly play county, but have moments in International and Aus, I always revert to English county.

There's definitely more competitions we want to do, some are more complex than others, for various reasons, not just technical, but it isn't feasible to do them all at once, it's just too risky or you could end up with several leagues, that don't actually work that well, I don't see any point in us releasing a game that has a very good Aus, English and international modes, and other domestic/international competitions which no one plays because they need improving. Along with the on-line aspect, which is something we definitely want to improve in 2011 and in the future. People aren't being ignored with the on-line worries.

You mention it there at the end, the core of the game itself, which everyone benefits from. Build the foundations first, then you build the walls.

Whilst we won't comment on financial situations, I'll always back that the changes (however big or small) we make in future versions have been done on careful consideration and are what we could have done. We all want to make the game as good as it can be, but there will always be factors to the decisions, we are a business after all.

Comment

^^^
                      Just for the record, I do agree with most of what you've said. In my earlier posts, I've merely tried to point out that people asking for new seasons, associate teams, etc are may be overlooking the amount of effort it takes & that ICC IS a business & they must give more weight to things that are going to improve their sales the most & thus, "niche-features" may not necessarily be the way they should/would go & as you've said, build a solid foundation first ie the game-play that pulls in all the ICC-oriented crowd.

Comment

Working...
                      X