Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick question regarding skill stats and effects.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question regarding skill stats and effects.

Hey crew! First post on here. Hope you are welcoming, and I'll try become a regular.

Just downloaded an excel file from what it seems a veteran member of the forum, that contained all the bowl/batting skill stats for most every player in the game. Very good stuff to know!

My question is, is those numbers just what every player starts with at the beginning of the game? Does it change? If so, how? Is it a mixture of experience and technique training? Or something else entirely?

I'll start with that, and we can go from there

Cheers, Xeno.

I'm guessing that could have been me... normally on these forums we don't talk about things such as player ratings, because the developers don't like discussing them. If you want to talk about them, head over to the PlanetCricket forums

Comment

yes, the ratings will change over time. Players will keep improving until about 27. They will also decline in their 30s slowly.
      Check out my ICC fixture editor

Comment

Originally posted by Xeno View Post
        Hey crew! First post on here. Hope you are welcoming, and I'll try become a regular.

Just downloaded an excel file from what it seems a veteran member of the forum, that contained all the bowl/batting skill stats for most every player in the game. Very good stuff to know!

My question is, is those numbers just what every player starts with at the beginning of the game? Does it change? If so, how? Is it a mixture of experience and technique training? Or something else entirely?

I'll start with that, and we can go from there

Cheers, Xeno.
        As has already been pointed out, yes, the ratings do increase/decrease with match-experience & Technique Training; I think there's also "potential-rating" that determines how good a player can possibly get capping off his potential. "General Technique" seems to work slowly on those who're older 27 but so far as other kinds of training is concerned, in my experience, it works pretty much the same for everyone.

Originally posted by Chewie View Post
        I'm guessing that could have been me... normally on these forums we don't talk about things such as player ratings, because the developers don't like discussing them. If you want to talk about them, head over to the PlanetCricket forums
        I don't know why it's such a taboo to talk about ratings here. People should be able to talk about ratings, which are an integral component of the game, as much as they talk about patches not working or players having wrong batsman/bowler status etc or future improvements or whatever, afterall, this is the "official" ICC forum. Just boggles me to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by enigma View Post
          I don't know why it's such a taboo to talk about ratings here. People should be able to talk about ratings, which are an integral component of the game, as much as they talk about patches not working or players having wrong batsman/bowler status etc or future improvements or whatever, afterall, this is the "official" ICC forum. Just boggles me to be honest.
          I strongly agree. I don't remember hearing of this taboo before. I avoid talking about editing, but that's another matter entirely. I encourage people to talk about ratings errors (and there is a database errors thread for this). However, when it's a matter of opinion (eg. personal or national preference), I don't mind it being discussed, but I personally amn't interested.

Comment

Ratings error are normally using the hidden ratings that we've found, but we are not sure if these are the be all and end all of the ratings - personally I think there are a lot of variables that affect the ratings that we haven't found. This makes it hard to discuss ratings because we're using these hidden ones and ordering them based on these when there may be other things we don't know which makes player with lower ratings better than those with higher ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by 6ry4nj View Post
              I strongly agree. I don't remember hearing of this taboo before. I avoid talking about editing, but that's another matter entirely. I encourage people to talk about ratings errors (and there is a database errors thread for this). However, when it's a matter of opinion (eg. personal or national preference), I don't mind it being discussed, but I personally amn't interested.
              Well, generally speaking, if someone can see these ratings then they can also edit it & once people talk about these ratings then they also know how to edit so talking about ratings & editing aren't necessarily mutually exclusive topics.

As for raising this issue in database errors thread, if you look at the excel sheet Chewie & I had compiled, there're so many players who've been improperly rated, even well-known ones, that developers could easily make such a list themselves & correct them instead of waiting for someone else to bring them up; & it's not like it's something new, the issue has been around for a while, one of these threads here has Chewie talking about how he doesn't like John Hay (?) being the best rated Kiwi batsman in 2008 & yet, this ratings issue hasn't been resolved still.

Ratings error are normally using the hidden ratings that we've found, but we are not sure if these are the be all and end all of the ratings - personally I think there are a lot of variables that affect the ratings that we haven't found. This makes it hard to discuss ratings because we're using these hidden ones and ordering them based on these when there may be other things we don't know which makes player with lower ratings better than those with higher ratings.
              Well, it may or mayn't be the be all & end all but as you very well know, if we max-out these ratings for any player in the game then he easily makes Bradman look like a tail-ender by averaging 1000+ in all forms of the game & makes bowlers so good as if they were bowling with hand-grenades so I'd assume that it's definitely the core determinant if not the only one.

But the point is, why can't developers be open about how things work & get rid of the speculation once & for all? I'm guessing they don't want people editing & bringing down the online-game, well, firstly, very very very few people actually play online & secondly, there're many ways to prevent that as has been pointed out many times before.
              Last edited by enigma; 03-07-2011, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by enigma View Post
                But the point is, why can't developers be open about how things work & get rid of the speculation once & for all? I'm guessing they don't want people editing & bringing down the online-game, well, firstly, very very very few people actually play online & secondly, there're many ways to prevent that as has been pointed out many times before.
                Well said. I've always been a touch suspicious about the lack of openess (and an editor, even a basic one) on the developers part when it comes to 'how things work'. Sometimes I wonder is this lack of openess due to the fact that the game and its inner workings are far more simplistic than the devs would like us to know about. Why can't they be open about the existence/non existence of hidden attributes for example? Just a bit of clarification on certain things would be nice so we can stop wasting our time speculating. This excuse of the online game being taken advantage of is rubbish (see above qoute).

So I put it to the devs. Can we have some clarification on the inner workings of the game? I'm not looking for tips here, just a better understanding of what's going on behind the scenes so the speak. I think ICC gameplayers deserve that.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Zigi View Post
                  Well said. I've always been a touch suspicious about the lack of openess (and an editor, even a basic one) on the developers part when it comes to 'how things work'.
                  Yup, even a basic editor would be great, & based on my understanding of how editing is done, making one wouldn't be that big a task as such.

Sometimes I wonder is this lack of openess due to the fact that the game and its inner workings are far more simplistic than the devs would like us to know about.
                  If that's the reason for it then it's not a good one to say the least. I mean, why would any gamer care about it if the game-code is simplistic, as long as it does what it's supposed to & offers a positive gaming-experience!
                  Don't know about the detailed game-code but editing is pretty simplistic.

I think the reason is that more of the game's flaws will be obvious to average-users but I don't think it's the worst thing that could ever happen to the game; I mean, I know how flawed some of the aspects of the game are but I'm ok with it, I come here & whine about it, hoping they'll be improved but it's still a wonderful game so they need to stop worrying about game getting some "exposure".

The reason for the messed up ratings, as I understand it, is they're not manually set, but instead I think they feed the records of all the players into their special software & that software then determines which player gets what batting/bowling-rating. And that's why, often good players with average records are underrated & average players with good records are overrated. To be fair though, setting them manually would be a very complicated task.

Why can't they be open about the existence/non existence of hidden attributes for example? Just a bit of clarification on certain things would be nice so we can stop wasting our time speculating.
                  Completely agree with that.

So I put it to the devs. Can we have some clarification on the inner workings of the game? I'm not looking for tips here, just a better understanding of what's going on behind the scenes so the speak. I think ICC gameplayers deserve that.
                  Second that.
                  Last edited by enigma; 03-08-2011, 07:27 AM.

Comment

I'm glad my question sparked a discussion and I hope it continues

On a side note, thanks for answering my original question regarding the increase and decrease of player ratings. Match experience, technique training. Check.

I have been looking at said excel ratings lists, and after NOT starting this thread to discuss editing, may now want to head in that direction. Some of the ratings are ludicrous. So agree with most everything that has been said.

Comment

I think they use that program to set most of the ratings, and then manually edit most of the international players to some degree.

Comment

I have been looking at said excel ratings lists, and after NOT starting this thread to discuss editing, may now want to head in that direction.
                        As I've said before, talking about ratings & editing are not necessarily mutually exclusive topics, may be some people edit to cheat but there're plenty of us who edit to correct the erroneous ratings (Chewie & myself included), & mayn't have any interest in online-game & may never have played a single online-match, such gamers are editing with the intention of making the offline-play more realistic as they don't want to play with some unknowns being the best batsmen/bowlers in the game.

Some of the ratings are ludicrous.
                        Second that......very strongly.

I think they use that program to set most of the ratings, and then manually edit most of the international players to some degree.
                        Yeah, I'd think so but I'm afraid, at the moment, based on evidence at hand, they haven't been doing such a good job of it, as far this aspect of the game is concerned anyway.

Comment

Another reason I can think of as to why they don't want to talk about ratings or hand people a ratings-editor because ratings are all relative & there's a certain balance to be had, & average-users mess with ratings, that can significantly alter the game's results (statistics specifically), for example, if generally a batsmen averages in a certain range with a certain ratings-range & same for bowlers, then increasing/decreasing lots of players' ratings can lead to some negative consequences on the statistics generated by the game in the long-run.

Considering this, I believe it'd be a valid concern of theirs but if they put the right ratings in the first place (with some leeway of course) then there wouldn't be a need to ask for a ratings-editor so the root of problem needs to be addressed first.

Comment

Is there an updated roster from someone intelligent like yourself? I don't think I can handle bowling Gillespie for Vettori anymore lol.

Comment

Is there an updated roster from someone intelligent like yourself? I don't think I can handle bowling Gillespie for Vettori anymore lol.
                              Seconded. I have no intention of cheating I'd just like everything to be a bit more realistic. I hate playing against SA a couple of years into the game cos by then their team is full of the 'awesome' players like Pelser etc. who only average 30-odd in the top flight FC in SA.

Comment

Working...
                              X