Left armers over or round the wicket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left armers over or round the wicket?

Should you ball left arm seamers over or round the wicket and the same for left arm spinners?

Can't say I've much experience of handling left-arm-seamers but I think the general advice you'll get is to bowl them over-the-wicket to start with & go round the wicket every now & then when you're bowling to a set batsman to change things up a bit.

As for left-arm-spinners, I'd say I've plenty of experience of handling them, I use them effectively in OD & T20, bowling over-the-wicket against right-handers & round-the-wicket against left-handers & place all my fielders on the leg-side, 4 in the circle to save singles at about 15-20 yards from the bat & 5 on the boundary. I bowl seamers in powerplays & then squeeze the opposition for runs with my SLAs, they usually go at about 4 RPO in ODs & under 6 RPO in T20s.

Comment

I never seem to use left-armers, I normally start with them over the wicket and then move to around the wicket if it's not working, always good to mix it up.

Comment

I bowl everyone over the wicket by default, except left-arm spinners to right-handers, in which case I start them round the wicket. Just my idiosyncrasy, based on how I see them bowled in real life.

I then change them to the other side after a while, for variety. You do get an advantage from changing sides from time to time. There is a disadvantage for right-hand bowlers round the wicket to right-handers, and left-armers round the wicket to left-handers. These combinations get less successful lbw appeals. Nevertheless, it's still a good idea to try them out for variety to settled batsmen.

Apart from that, it's a matter of personal preference/gut instinct...or something.

Comment

Working...
        X