The Ascent of NZ Cricket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ascent of NZ Cricket

In this story my goal is to take NZ to the no. 1 spot in test and ODIs! Wish me luck!

Twenty20 World Cup 2010 Summary

I picked the default 15 man squad and we did badly. After beating Sri Lanka by 2 wickets we lost to Zimbabwe by 5 wickets despite Ryder scoring a Century. Next we have a two test series against South Africa where the description will be more detailed.
    Last edited by TheDevil666; 12-18-2010, 11:37 PM.

Comment

2 Test Series Against South Africa, Nov 2010

For the 2 test series against South Africa we were askes to name a 15 man squad and I chose this squad:

Our test ranking is 7 and SAs is 2 so we will be up against it. I do have faith in my players though and I would be happy with a drawn series.
      Last edited by TheDevil666; 12-18-2010, 10:50 PM.

Comment

The First Test vs South Africa

These were the two teams for the first test:

I called heads and it came down a head, I decided to bat first.

Day One

We started well seeing off Steyn and Morkel and at lunch we were 71-1. Guptill had departed for 35 after being run out and we had to continue this good start in the afternoon session. We pushed on well, McIntosh got the first 50 of the series while at the other end, McCullum departed for a score of 25 after being trapped LBW by Dale Steyn and at tea we were 180-2. Watling was the first casualty in the evening going for a useful 57, Ryder went for just 1 while McIntosh completed his hundred but couldn't make it a big hundred as he went for 111.

Score at Close: 281-5 (McIntosh 111, Steyn 3-64)

Day Two

With the sun beating down in the first session, Ross Taylor and Daniel Flynn batted beautifully to take us to 383-5 at lunch with the latter on 87*. After lunch they soon brought up their respective half century and century. Daniel Flynn departed for 113 but Ross Taylor and Peter Fulton brought us to tea at 467-6. Taylor got his century but was caught behind for 107 and Fulton was LBW for 26 and the last three batsman put on a total of 1 between them as we were bowled out for 505. Steyn and Philander picked up 4 wickets each although they did cost over 100 runs. SA had to bat for 26 minutes before the close and they did so without losing a wicket.

Scores at Close: NZ 505 (Flynn 113, Philander 4-111)
        SA 22-0 (Smith 16*, Amla 6*)

Day Three

In the morning my worries that our bowling attack was weak proved spot on as we were flogged mercilessly. SA got to 132-0 at lunch, Smith on 89* already. We couldn't take a wicket for the entire DAY as a matter of fact as Smith and Amla made hay.

SA 341-0 (Smith 180*, Amla 155*)

Day Four

No wickets in the morning either as Smith and Amla complied their double hundreds. WE'VE GOT A RUDDY WICKET! In the last few minutes of the afternoon session Patel bowls Smith for 265! At tea SA are 559-1. And they declare shortly after on 572-1, a lead of 67. With just over a hour to play until stumps we lose both openers on a deteriorating pitch.

SA 572-1 dec (Amla 285*, Patel 1-139)
        NZ 51-2 (McIntosh 29, De Wet 1-7)

Day Five

To escape with a draw we would have to bat well. First ball of the day McCullum edged behind and was promptly snaffled. We were in trouble. By the time we got into the lead we were 4 down because Ryder had been yorked by Morkel. By lunch we had crashed to 117-7 a lead of just 50. The last 3 wickets fell for just 6 runs. SA chased down their victory target of 56 with ease and won by 10 wickets.

Last edited by TheDevil666; 12-18-2010, 10:49 PM.

Comment

2nd Test vs South Africa

We knew we had to win to tie the series but I thought this was unlikely. Vettori was still injured but I did make 3 changes to the team. Martin, Southee and Guptill were taken out and Arnel, Tuffey and Ingram were brought in.

I called heads, won the toss and bowled first. Have I made a decision that I will regret?

Day One

Patel picked up the wicket of Amla for 18 but Smith made an unbeaten half-century to steer SA to 118-1 at lunch. In the afternoon we picked up no wickets. In the evening we got Smith (168) and Kallis (4) with the second new ball although SA were in the much stronger position at 385-3.

Close of Play Scores: SA 385-3 (Smith 168)

Day Two

Joy for us early on as in the first over of the day Petersen nicked one behind from a Tuffey delivery to put them on 385-4. Greater joy followed when De Villers also nicked one behind on 180 but they recovered to get to 480-5 at lunch. Jesse Ryder picked up the only wicket of a torrid afternoon and with half-hour to go till tea SA declared on 608-6. We had to bat well to save the test, 408 being our first target. Off the 32 overs we had to bat until the close we made 50-2. Slow going, eh?

Close of Play Scores: SA 608-6 dec (De Villers 180, Tuffey 3-126)
          NZ 50-2 (McCullum 18*, Steyn 2-12)
          Day Three

We tried to frustrate SA in the morning and that we did by scoring 53 runs and losing just the one wicket, that of Watling. 3 4s were scored in the morning! In the afternoon Jesse Ryder was the only man to depart (26) and McCullum moved to 69*. The score 150-4. The pitch was a minefield with very uneven bounce and this proved to be the undoing for McCullum as he went shortly after tea for 79. Flynn was well set before he had to retire hurt after a vicious Steyn bouncer. Taylor made 30 odd and Fulton was out cheaply to leave us 230-7 at the close.

NZ 230-7 (McCullum 79, Steyn 3-45)

Day Four

Our tail put on another 16 runs before being dismissed for 246. With a defecit of 362 we were asked to follow on. I wondered if we would see out the day. We moved to 32-1 at lunch, opener McIntosh departing for 8 after he was caught behind. The other opener Ingram made his half-century in the afternoon as he and McCullum put up a great fight. We lost no wickets in that session. Ingram made 85 before departing and McCullum made 48 before he was out.

NZ 246 (McCullum 79*, Steyn 4-51)
          NZ 169-3 (Ingram 85, De Wet 2-29)

Day Five

With the absence of Flynn we had just 6 wickets left and a defecit of 193 plus the pitch was a minefield so our chances of saving the test were low. Watling made a good half-century in the first session and Ryder stayed with him for a hour but eventually departed for 20, our only loss of the session and the score at lunch was NZ 237-4, a defecit of 125. Sadly in the first over after lunch Morne Morkel made a mess of Watling's stumps. Taylor gave the only real resistance after that (49) as SA complied a victory by an innings and 68 runs.

Last edited by TheDevil666; 12-18-2010, 10:47 PM.

Comment

ODI Series vs South Africa Nov 2010 Preview

Next up for us is a 3 match ODI series against South Africa. On paper this is the no.2 vs no.4 team in the world but I know the difference is a lot more than that. Daniel Vettori will be fit for this series. Below is my 15 man squad.

Comment

Here are the teams for the first ODI

I continued my good record of not losing the toss on the tour and decided to bat first. A score of 250 would be very welcome.

NZ Innings

We didn't start well, it was the 18th ball before we got a run when Ingram cut one for four. After that we did pick up the pace and moved to 62-1 from 15 overs. Ingram was the man who departed for 15 after he was trapped LBW by Philander. By the halfway stage McCullum had also departed but we were 105-2 at that stage. Guptill couldn't complete his half century as he was clean bowled on 46. Taylor did though, bringing it up off 67 balls. He was given good support by Broom who made a run-a-ball 47 before he holed out. Taylor eventually departed for 77 but Jacob Oram clubbed a few towards the end of the innings to bring us to a smashing total of 287-7

SA Innings

We just had to keep the runs down and take regular wickets. Could we do it? Er, didn't look like it. 5 overs gone SA 49-0. Ian Butler tried to make amends for his terrible figures when he picked up the wicket of Amla. Patel was brought on in the 12th over and he picked up the wicket of De Villers to put them 89-2. He and Vettori slowed down the rate for a while but it wasn't until the 24th over that Elliot took a vital wicket, the one of Kallis to put SA on 153-3. We couldn't pick up the wicket of smith and that proved to be our undoing as he made a century to give SA a win by 5 wickets in the first ODI.

Comment

Second ODI

For the second ODI I made two changes. Patel and Butler out, Ryder and Southee in.

I won the toss and decided to bat first. I knew we had to win this one to keep the series alive.

NZ Innings

We made a good start too, 10 overs and only the loss of one wicket (Ingram, B Steyn, 10) and 48 runs on the board. It was then party time for McCullum as he clubbed 4 fours off of a Dale Steyn over. He perished in the next over though after whacking a 6 and a 4 off of Philander, he was trapped LBW. Guptill went shortly after and Broom was out for 25 after getting a start. Taylor also got a start but was caught&bowled for 35. We were limping and running out of wickets and we kept limping until we got to 223-9 which was our final total after most of the batsman in the lower order failed.

SA Innings

We knew the key was to get Smith out early. We got him in the 12th over and SA were making a sedate start. 36-1 after 12 overs. It was Amla who was the bigger worry and he made 69 before Vettori trapped him LBW and by that time SA were 122-2 and looking safe. De Villers and Kallis simply seized control of the game from that point and we slumped, disappointly, to a 7 wicket defeat. It is my feeling that we are a bowler or 2 light and that's not want you want to hear with the World Cup just around the corner.

Comment

Third ODI

Yes it is a dead rubber but we do have some pride to salvage. Butler and Patel in, Ryder and Elliot out.

I finally lose the toss and we will bowl first in this, our final match of the tour.

SA Innings

Keeping the under 275 will be an achievement baring in mind how good their batsan are and how flat the wicket is. Oram takes the only wicket of the opening 10 overs as he traps Amla LBW. By the 16th over SA are 76-2 but Graeme Smith is still there. Him and Kallis ut on a big partnership until Kallis goes for 69. Styris then takes 2 wickets in 1 over to put SA 211-5. We keep chiping away with wickets but nothing can stop Smith who makes an unbeaten hundred to propel SA to 298-8.

NZ Innings

With a monumental 299 to chase we just had to go out there and hit the bloody thing and see what happens. Well Guptill nicked one behind off his first ball to put us at 0/1. The other opener didn't last long either and we collasped to 44/5. Oram and Vettori saved us from a heavy defeat as they made a partnership of 119. When they fell so did the innings. 191 all out.

Comment

1st Twenty20 International

Before we leave this tour we have to play one Twenty20 international. It would be nice to leave this tour with a win, right?

We lose the toss and have to bowl first.

SA Innings

We take the wicket of Graeme Smith early but it was on a free hit. Him and Amla smash the ball all around the park. 4 overs, SA 43-0. SA put 110 on the board before we take a wicket, that of Amla for 58. It doesn't stop the South African run machine as they post 210-3.

NZ Innings

The only success of our innings was Guptills unbeaten half-century and maybe the fact we abtted out all our overs. We gave it a good go but came up short by 55 runs, 155-8 was our total.

Comment

Our Tour of South Africa 2010 Review

Test Series - Lost 0-2
                      ODI Series - Lost 0-3
                      T20 Game - Lost 0-1

Perhaps the only positive their is that we'e shown we have some decent batsman. Fortunately we lose no ranking points form this tour. Next up is:

Sri Lanka Tour New Zealand

Two Tests,
                      Three ODIs,
                      One T20.

Comment

New Zealand vs Sri Lanka First Test

Our test Ranking is 7 theirs is 4 so we know it's going to be a tough series.

We have given a debut to 28 year old Gary Shaw a RMF bowler who is doing well in the county circuit. We lose the toss and will field first.

Day One

This is more like it, proper cricket. We wanted to make early inroads but failed to find any as the openers put on a 50 stand. Gary Shaw's first over in test cricket conceded a whopping 13 runs. Ouch. By lunch SL had moved to 112-0. Our bowling attack had failed again. Sangakkara made his century in the afternoon and we finally got a wicket when Gareth Shaw trapped the other opener for 89 LBW. 209-1. With the last ball before tea Ryder removed Sangakkara to make the score 250-2. We couldn't stop SL piling on the runs though and they made it to the close 402-3.

Close of Play Score: SL 402-3 (Sangakkara 129, Shaw 2-91)

Day Two

Sl extended their score further to 517-3 at lunch as our bowling attack toiled and toiled. Halfway in the afternoon it was up to 603-3 when they declared. First target for our batsman is 403. Our openers safely negotiated the 11 overs till tea with no loss. It was very slow going and when we got to the close we were 81-2, Guptill and Watling back in the pavillion.

Close of Play Score: SL 603-3 (Jayawardene 181*, Shaw 2-118)
                        NZ 81-2 (McIntosh 38*, Muralithrian 1-22)

Day Three

Samarweera took both wickets on the morning of day 3 as McIntosh fell short of a half century and McCullum was out cheaply. Peter Fulton was out for 43 in the afternoon and we are fortunate that was our only casualty at tea, moving to 199-5. In the evening Ross Taylor completed his half-century (off 157 balls!) and Jesse Ryder moved to 47* as we didn't lose a wicket in the evening but we were saved by 40 minutes of rain.

NZ 240-5 (Taylor 53*, Muralithrian 2-77)

Day Four

We were 163 short of the follow on at the start of day 4. Jesse Ryder moved to 60 before inside-edging one. Our long tail could prove to be our downfall as well. Ross Taylor was bowled for 78 and our tail put up little resistance. We were bowled out for 303 but more importantly took 153 overs to do that! We were asked to follow on and still trailed by 303 runs. Our openers batted well and put on a 50 stand. They were still there at tea as we moved to 93-0, Guptill made a 50. He eventually went for 73 but at the close, things were looking better - we were 180-2 and trailed by 123 going into the final day.

NZ 303 (Taylor 78, Muralithrian 6-109)
                        NZ 180-2 (Guptill 73, Muralithrian 1-48)

Day Five

We collasped in the morning session. McIntosh eventually went for 88 but no one else turned up. We were bowled out for 303 (again) and SL chased down their victory target (3) without losing a wicket. 1 down with 1 to play
                        Last edited by TheDevil666; 12-19-2010, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Second Test

A few changes were made for the second test with Vettori and Franklin coming back into the side.

We won the toss and decided to have a bat.

Day One

McCullum and Guptill found it very slow going in the first session. We scored 46 runs but lost no wickets. Both openers departed early in the afternoon session to put us 70-2. McIntosh got a start but was trapped lbw (30) by Malinga. At the other end Watling was 72* at tea where NZ were 163-3. Watling couldn't complete his hundred though, he was out for 81 in what turned out to be our only loss of the evening session.

Close of Play Scores: NZ 238-4 (Watling 81, Murali 2-61)

Day Two

Ryder and Taylor both fell of half centuries on the morning of day two, they got 45 and 47 respectively. Luckily for us, Fulton and Vettori steadied the ship to put us at a respectable 311-6 at lunch. Thy turned into a sour 318 all out. Could our bowlers do well? Well Franklin struck in the very first over of the innings. 0/1. Southee then got a wicket - another LBW - and SL were 18/2. At tea that had moved to 38-2. By the close they were reduced to 125-5. Game on!

Close of Play Scores: NZ 316 (Watling 81, Murali 4-88)
                          SL 125-5 (Jayawardene 52, Franklin 3-28)

Day Three

We had to keep up the momentum we got on the 2nd day. We did. We bowled them out for 181 a lead of 137 and Southee picked up his five for. We knew a score of 200 should win it. By teatime we had lost both openers but had moved to 57-2 a lead of 194. And we lost just the one wicket in the evening plus McIntosh brought up 50.

Close of Play Scores: NZ 316 (Watling 81, Murali 4-88)
                          SL 181 (Jayawardene 52, Southee 5-49)
                          NZ 140-3 (McIntosh 53*, Malinga 1-23)

Day Four

McIntosh and Ryder pushed for singles and 2s and picked up the odd boundary as our lead passed the 340 mark. In the afternoon Ryder got his hundred and remained unbeaten but McIntosh fell just short (98). We declared at 266-4 meaning SL had 404 to win. But our bowling attack faltered again. SL were 125-1 at the close needing just a further 279.

Day Five

We could only pick up two wickets in the morning as SL moved to 222-3 just needing 182 in the last two sessions. Samaweera had to retire hurt after a brutal Southee bouncer. SL worked the target down to 91 with 6 wickets left but then Vettori struck twice in one over to swing the match back again. So final session; SL need 85 to win, NZ need 4 wickets to win. SL got it down to 29 to win before NZ took another wicket. And it was SL who prevailed by four wickets.

Comment

Good thread. This is going to be tough. I always like to have a crack with NZ or the Windies.
                            Good to see you are trying it on normal (I hope).

Comment

Yes I am indeed playing on 'Normal' difficulty.

Comment

Working...
                              X