NZ story (pre-patch)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OD Squad v Sri Lanka

One good thing about this new version is that you can select a different squad for the ODIs.

The big talking point was the omission of keeper Brendon McCullum in favour of both Watling and McGlashan.

Comment

The first ODI was a low scoring affair.
      Ross Taylor stood out like a beacon with 99, cruelly denied what would have been a well deserved half century.
      Defending a small total, Mills bowled a tight 10-1-22-0 and Vettori tied up one end nicely during the middle overs. Wickets fell regularly, with a superb spell from Brent Arnel destroying the Sri Lankan batting.

Comment

Every now and then, a team has a shocker. The less said about this one, the better. We didn't bat too aggressively or rashly. We just got done in by magnificent bowling.
        The series stands at 1-1 now.

Comment

A change of tactics for the third ODI. We chose to bowl first so that we could pace our run chase.
          Out of form Oram was dropped in favour of an extra batsman, Kane Williamson. Grant Elliott would become the fifth bowler (he hadn't been required to bowl in the previous games).

We made a good start by restricting the Sri Lankans to a lowish total, with Arnel and Elliott being our most successful wicket takers.
          The chase was going well as we kept pace with the required run rate. However, although most of our batsmen got good starts, none of them went on to build a big score and this proved to be our downfall in the end.
          Sri Lanka now 2-1 up with two to play.

Comment

Sangakkara and Matthews put our bowling to the sword as they set up a mammoth total for us to chase.
            We were never in the hunt to chase down the required runs, as we again lost wickets regularly.
            No positives from this one unfortunately, and we're left with only pride to play for in the remaining game.

Comment

Oh for a OD squad of Ross Taylors!
              Although our batting effort was our best of the series, we were again outclassed by the Sri Lankans.
              Not a very successful tour. Let's see if things can go better in the next series.

Comment

Really enjoying the story. Perhaps a call up for Ewen Thompson? He stormed it over here in Northern Ireland and is on the fringes of the national set up no doubt.

Who are you up against next?

Comment

2009 Tour to Pakistan

NZ Squad for the Tests

Openers
                  P.Fulton
                  M.Bell (captain)
                  P.Ingram

Other Batsmen
                  M.Sinclair
                  I.Robertson
                  J.Ryder
                  N.Broom
                  K.Williamson

Keepers
                  D.de Boorder
                  B.McCullum

Allrounders
                  J.Oram
                  B.Hiini

Spinner
                  D.Vettori

Pacemen
                  S.Bond
                  D.Tuffey
                  I.O'Brien
                  T.Southee
                  Although there wasn't too much domestic cricket inbetween the Sri Lankan tour and this one, the performances were taken into account.
                  Jesse Ryder and Shane Bond retained their spots due to this factor plus past test performances.
                  Those unfortunate to miss out on selection were Greg Hay, Ross Taylor, Michael Papps and Warren McSkimming.

Comment

Originally posted by AZisdenaam View Post
                    Really enjoying the story. Perhaps a call up for Ewen Thompson? He stormed it over here in Northern Ireland and is on the fringes of the national set up no doubt.

Who are you up against next?
                    Just saw your post. Starting off with two tours to the subcontinent is a real challenge.
                    Poor old NZ seem to be just as bad here as they currently are in reality.

Comment

Iain Robertson - nice to see! Is the professional at my old club - in a way replacing Peter Connell although the main one is now a resident hence we could bring Robbo in and after a slow start he is performing really well though his off spin aint the greatest. Explosive batsman though and I've seen the video of him hitting Nathan McCullum for a straight 6.
                      NZ need a few nice series on home pitches with a bit of movement - get your own back on those Lankans!

Comment

Iain Robertson - nice to see! Is the professional at my old club - in a way replacing Peter Connell although the main one is now a resident hence we could bring Robbo in and after a slow start he is performing really well though his off spin aint the greatest. Explosive batsman though and I've seen the video of him hitting Nathan McCullum for a straight 6.
                        NZ need a few nice series on home pitches with a bit of movement - get your own back on those Lankans!
                        Yeah - Vettori is the only decent spinner we've got. Can't even consider any of the others for test selection.

Comment

Oh for Brooke Walker...

I think Jeets isn't bad, haven't played a lot of ICC to see what he is like. I remember on an old ICC version there were 2 demon spinners in Timothy Anderson (LS) and Bruce Martin (SLA) - managed to beat the Aussies away with those two!

Comment

Oh for Brooke Walker...

I think Jeets isn't bad, haven't played a lot of ICC to see what he is like. I remember on an old ICC version there were 2 demon spinners in Timothy Anderson (LS) and Bruce Martin (SLA) - managed to beat the Aussies away with those two!
                            I mean in ICC2009 terms though, where stats play quite an important part. I wouldn't even consider Jeets.

Comment

Sounds like your best bet is to use Taylor then as a part-timer and hope for a good regen or hope that someone has a wonder season out of nowhere. Mind you, on the right surface maybe even an "average" spinner could do some kind of job.

Comment

Sounds like your best bet is to use Taylor then as a part-timer and hope for a good regen or hope that someone has a wonder season out of nowhere. Mind you, on the right surface maybe even an "average" spinner could do some kind of job.
                                I'm hoping for a regen and hopefully sooner rather than later.
                                On a promising note for our bowling hopes, Tuffey and Southee have been showing devastating form in the domestic scene.
                                Fingers crossed that our pacers can do the job against the Pakistanis.

Comment

Working...
                                X