ODI help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ODI help?

Anyone have any general advice on one-day games?
    I absolutely suck at the shorter format. Beat Aussies 4-1 in the Ashes, then got whitewashed in the following one-day series. I know the Ashes are more important, but I would like to win the odd one-dayer.

I need to know the weakness in ur squad which has been white washed in shorter formates
    Usually in 15 men squad I keep in form 6batsmen and 5 bowlers (with 2 spinners). Two wicket keepers and two bowling all rounders like J Clare and J Harris.
    My final eleven will be some things like a combination of 5 batsmen, one keeper, 2/1 all rounder and 3/4 bowlers depending on each match and weather conditions.
    The rest is just ur different field setting and how you bowl to different batsmen.
    For example if u bowl to P Hughs see his batting preferences and u ll see he likes to play on the off side and on the back foot so u need to bowl him on his legs and bit fuller to make him come to the front foot and set ur field according to that
    These r general tips which work very well for one day as well as T20
    Does it help???
    You can learn little from victory, but you can learn everything from defeat

Comment

Hmm. Squad selection plays a large part in one dayers. I would try and bowl first if possible, it allows you to choose how aggressively you have to bat when called to.

Comment

My squad was:
        Strauss
        Cook
        Pietersen
        Shah
        Morgan
        Trott

Collingwood
        Flintoff
        Swann

Prior

Broad
        Anderson
        Sidebottom
        Harmison
        Panesar

I can seem to bowl well in the opening few overs, usually keep them down to about 30-40 off 10, but can't seem to get wickets. Then they just build and hit huge scores.
        My batsmen have two habits: struggle and get out for 5 off 20, or reach 30 at a reasonable rate and fall. I'm never able to build a partnership.

Comment

ok I see
          ur squad looks all right if u r still in 2009 season
          all u need is to give them training both in bowling and batting
          And Imager 36 made a good point as well that toss also plays a big role in one day games
          so bat or bowl 1st according to the conditions.
          anyways give ur batsmen training and see results
          Good luck

Comment

In real life I like Cook in ODIs, but I wouldn't play him in ICC09. I also might not play Prior (yes for tests, but not ODIs). To kill both of those with one stone, maybe Stephen Davies into the squad and opening, Moore's a good opener too, as is Horton. Other keepers include Hodd, if you want to take a risk. Wouldn't have Panesar in my squad either, but would play two spinners in half decent conditions, they can really strangle the opposition in the middle overs. Maybe have a look at good domestic spinners, possibly starting with Rashid. I also wouldn't pick Harmison, maybe look around for a young seamer such as Clare or Woakes.

EDIT - Also, what kind of bars do you bat and bowl at generally?

EDIT no. 2 - Shouldn't have left Harris off the bowler list, very good prospect.
            Last edited by Imager36; 05-25-2010, 08:57 PM.

Comment

totally agree with Imager
              In 2009 season its hard to find a good England spinner except G Swan and only possibels are Monday (good for tests only) and A Rashid. S Patel is also there but he is not good enough with the ball and he never performed with bat on international level when I tried him.
              C Woakes and J Clare both are very good.

Comment

Well Prior's batting has been OK in comparison to the rest.
                I picked Panesar because his one-day county form was good, but he was pretty rubbish.
                Harmison was generally my tighest bowler, but only took 1-2 wickets a match, while the regulars were flogged around. Swann was awful, went at 5.5+ an over averaging around 50, despite taking 45 wickets in the Ashes.

Batting-wise, I try start at 4 or 5 bars, depending on the situation.
                I usually start bowling on aggressive, which works well for 4-5 overs, then move down, which is where the problems start.

Comment

I think I'm slowly getting the hang of it.
                  Won my last two games against South Africa, just chased 317. I think I was move up the aggression too quickly before.

Comment

Yeah, I started to get the hang of them around that time in my game. I was shocking at first but managed to scrape home against the Aussies then beat the South Africans with a game to spare (with Vaughan and Cook opening + Prior as keeper).

Comment

Yeah I brought in Rashid and Bell for Shah and Panesar. First game bowled well and chased 230 with 5 overs to spare, second game chased 317. Maybe I'm more suited to flat wickets in ODIs. Or chasing

Comment

Working...
                      X