Switching to Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching to Vista

I recently acquired a new machine running Vista rather than XP and, once I discovered where Vista saves the games, I transferred my game to the new machine using a memory stick. It actually seems to work fine, but I noticed that when I save it only saves a single file (the CAP file) in the Saves folder. There is no CBK file to match it as there was on XP. To test this I started a new game and immediately saved it (didn't play at all) and only the CAP file was saved (I searched, to check, and no other file of that name was saved anywhere on the hard drive). As I say, it seems to work, but can anyone tell me if I am likely to have a problem.

I also noticed that I got a lot of screen flicker on Vista when scrolling over the batting and bowling aggression options. It stopped when I pressed 'Next Ball' and the game continued, but it happened a number of times - is this a known problem and if so is there any solution?

Any comments appreciated.

Hi,

There is some support for the missing save files here:

Windows Vista = C:\Users Folder\User name or Account Name\appdata\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramFiles \Xplosiv\International Cricket Captain 2008\Saves (Cap & Save File)

Note. If you open the Saves file and there are no CAP or CBK files showing in the Notepad then close the Notepad option and in the Tool Bar click on the Compatibility Files option, this will then display the CAP and CBK files you have saved.

With regards to flickers, this can be caused by running programmes in the background. So turn off all programmes that you don't need. What is your anti-virus?

Another issue that could be causing it is your drivers. As you've just changed machines, is it running the latest drivers?

There is some information in our Support tab on the side of this forum on how to find out if your drivers are up to date.

Comment

Thanks for replying so quickly, Sureshot. I have played the game I transferred from my old machine once and saved it. It saved in C:\Users\(User Name)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramFiles\Xplo siv\ICC2008\Saves but only the CAP file is showing (the machine is set to show hidden files and folders). I can re-load the game OK and continue to the next match. As I said earlier, a new game I started and saved to test it also saved with only the CAP file showing. An Advanced Search of the machine, searching everywhere and including non-indexed files revealed no CBK file for either game. I don't know how to "close the notepad" after I've opened the Saves file and pressing ALT doesn't give me an option in Tools for Compatibility Files (sorry, I'm not all that savvy, technically). To be honest, if I can keep playing the game OK I don't care as I still really enjoy it (even losing!).

I'm running Norton 360 on the new machine so maybe this could be the problem with the display. I've got DirectX 10 and I think the drivers are OK but I'll get round to checking. Thanks again - any further thoughts or advice welcome.

Comment

Eureka!

I've finally got my CAP and CBK files listed and in the right place. I re-installed the game and after much experimentation with the order of copying files into the right folder, running the patch engine, downloading the patch and re-starting the software and the computer it works. Thanks, again - I feel like quite a geek!

Comment

Switching to Vista

I recently bought a laptop and It was installed with windows vista. I dont like the OS. I am not very knowledgeable with computers and I was wondering if anyone can help me get Vista off and replace it with XP. Since you cant just downgrade, How would I be able to do this?

And also if anyone can help me by explaining to me if vista would be better.

Comment

Well, I've just upgraded to Windows 7 after my XP Pro install corrupted. I wouldn't go back to XP from Vista, as W7 is a lot better.

Depending on how recently you bought the laptop, you might qualify for this:

Click on the link of your manufacturer.

The advantage with an upgrade version is that Vista will literally upgrade to Windows 7 without having to format your HDD, so it just copies over the system files, yet all your data is still stored on there.

You have to upgrade to the relevant version. So if you are on Vista Home Edition, you need to upgrade to Windows 7 Home Edition.

If you are a student, you can get it super cheap. Retail cost of the upgrade version is about £60. but it is well worth it.

Comment

Switching to Vista

switching mine next week... i get time off from school and work so will switch them. First got to respray them orange...

Comment

Working...
              X