Intention to hit a 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intention to hit a 6

I've been pondering on the "not enough 6's" issue for a day or so, and have a thought about a batsmans "intentions"

In the "old days" batsmen hit a six when the ball was in the right slot and the situation dictated that a slight risk was acceptable.

In most instances, if the ball was not in "the slot" the batsman would contend themselves with a four or something similar.

The other circumstance might be the "involuntary" 6, where a batsman hooks a ball over the ropes with little prethought other than "I don't want to take this in the mouth". Similarly, a free flowing chip or ariel drive just happens to go for 6...great.

Now it is different. Batsmen set themseves specifically to score a six, and ONLY a six. When Gibbs, Yuvraj, Gayle, Jayasuriya etc (there are many in this list) settle down, the thought is "where will I score a six this ball?"

Of course it's not every ball, but in 20/20 or in the last overs of an ODI with wickets in hand is is clear to see that certain batsmen set out with the deliberate and preplanned intention to score - not just one - but a succession of sixes.

As mentioned in a previous post, it comes of quite a few times. I've tried Cricinfo for information, but they don't seem to index this yet. But just from looking at ODI's and international twenty20's in the last 2 years , multiple 6's in an over happens on average between once and twice every match.

It never happens in ICC2008. and i think it's the intention that needs to be modelled.

Just something to ponder.

Regards

Paul Clarke
    The continued lack of stats in ICC is not so much the elephant in the room - as the Brontosaurus in the bathtub.

Interesting idea, a lofted option could be a good addition to the batting system. Similarly, a 'don't loft ball' option could add to it as well.

Comment

Working...
    X