Bowling Aggression - Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowling Aggression - Discussion

We all know that bowling aggression in ICC primarily controls the built-in fields. But does it have any other use?

My theory based on (limited) observations is that it also controls line and length: -
    • Defensive - the bowler will stick to a consistent line and length, as defined by the user, in an attempt to contain the batsman
    • Aggressive - the bowler will vary his line and length to look for a wicket. Yorkers, bouncers, but also a few full tosses and half volleys are likely to crop up.

It would be interesting to see if anyone else has spotted similar patterns.

If this proves to be true, then it could mean a whole new approach to bowling tactics. Obviously though what I suggest could turn out to be complete b****ks, in which case, does aggression have any other effect, or is it's only function to control the in-game fields...?

You can change aggression and keep the same field and do the converse. Higher aggression means that stamina is used faster, runs generally come quicker and the S/R goes up. I attack with a new ball, against defensive batsmen (they are less likely to take advantage of the variations being hittable) and against new batsmen.

Against Settled batsman I have 2 if they are aggressive, 3 if they are normal, 4 if they are defensive. I add one to that for the new ball/a bowler who is performing well (edges, plays and misses, form and wickets); I add another for an unsettled batsman. I then use replays to get a feel for it if one batsman is scoring uncontrollably and drop the aggression down against him.

I haven't been doing this for very long, and have made a number of refinements since I started, so I cannot vow for its effectiveness yet, sadly.

Comment

With my Middlesex story in progress (shameless plug), I've had to look at the bowling lines and lengths a little closer so I could have something to write. I've seen on more than one occasion where a bowler will set a batsman up, bowling him several fuller deliveries before bouncing him and getting him out.

I haven't seen much variation in line, but I have seen varying lengths at one above the default aggression. I rarely go off of that level unless their innings starts near the end of a session and I'm looking for a wicket or two before they go into the pavilion. If the batsman is picking off my bowlers, I try changing them around and if that doesn't work then I lower the aggression. I like to always at least try to go for wickets.

Comment

I have just won two County Championship games in two, sticking more or less to the above, which is very encouraging.

One thing that I see is that sometimes a batsman in smashing you all over the place, you change the aggression and field down a notch and then they can get out immediately. I also have tried using the same (defensive) aggression level starting against a high scorer in the first innings rather than attacking him, and it seems to have been more successful.

Comment

Working...
        X