Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Middlesex Crusaders: Into the future (a story)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middlesex Crusaders: Into the future (a story)

Cricinfo news

Toby Radford steps down from Middlesex

27th July, 2009

Toby Radford, Middlesex coach since November 2007, has decided to step down as their First XI coach following their woeful performances in the limited overs tournaments both last season and this season. He will still be involved with the Middlesex Cricket Academy, however.

“The guys have performed well in the four-day matches. They are a great side.” Radford is quoted as saying.

Middlesex are currently second in the Championship second division after 9 games played. They are on 129 points and trail leaders Yorkshire by 17 points. However, their limited overs performances leaves much to be desired. They finished bottom of their group in the Challenge Trophy, winning only 2 of their 8 matches. They fared slightly better in the Twenty20 Cup, winning 4 matches, but still ended up at the bottom of their group. Their only Pro40 match so far this season has also resulted in a loss.

Radford, a former Middlesex and Sussex player, has made it public that another coach may have better luck with the team in the shorter forms of the game.

A press conference is scheduled for later today to unveil a new coach for the team. They play Kent tomorrow in the Pro40 league.

(Note: Normal difficulty in ICC08. I didn’t want to start a totally new game so I just took my horrendous performances in the limited overs games and made it into a story. Hopefully things can go better for me!)

Cricinfo news

Middlesex name new coach

27th July, 2009

Middlesex have announced in a press conference earlier today that their new coach will be Ryon Cupidore. Cupidore, who assisted the coaching for some youth clubs in the West Indies before pursuing a coaching career in England, is quoted as saying, “I got the call earlier and it’s a huge surprise to me as well. I’ve worked with the Youth Academy on a few occasions but I never thought that they would want me to coach their First XI team.”

Cupidore has no experience as a player, but Middlesex management has “put our faith into a man who has been involved with the game for some time now and he will definitely be taking Middlesex onto better things from his first game onward.”

Middlesex play Kent tomorrow in the Pro40 league. The new coach has yet to meet some of the players, but he has stated that I should not be a problem. “These guys are out there to play cricket and not worry about what happens behind the scenes. (Toby) Radford is still very much involved with Middlesex cricket and he’s still there if the guys want to turn to him. But I’m looking to the future and I know that they can perform well in these limited overs games. I’ve already taken a look at the performances of the guys and I have some ideas that will be implemented within the course of the next few games. The management has given me their full support.”

Former coach Toby Radford also commented on Cupidore’s appointment. “He’s a big supporter of the team and he’s worked with the Academy regularly. It’s not a huge surprise for me. He’s a very good coach and I expect that he will definitely have some success. I think they picked the right man for the position.”

(Any comments would be nice. It would give me the incentive to stick with this and make it something really great.)

Comment

Squad:

Edward Smith ©
      Edmund Joyce (vc)
      Dennis Baker
      Christopher Bucknall
      Nicholas Compton
      Danny Evans
      Steven Finn
      Billy Godleman
      Murali Kartik
      Shaun Levy
      Dawid Malan
      Robin Martin-Jenkins
      Eoin Morgan
      Timothy Murtagh
      David Nash (wk)
      Christopher Peploe
      Alan Richardson
      Ben Scott (wk)
      Owais Shah
      Chris Silverwood
      Andrew Strauss
      Robbie Williams

Comment

Good start, I'm looking forward to this one.

Comment

28th July 2009

Middlesex vs. Kent – Pro40 League, Division 1

Middlesex: E Morgan, E Smith ©, A Strauss, E Joyce (vc), B Godleman, D Malan, B Scott (wk), T Murtagh, M Kartik, C Silverwood, C Peploe

Kent: T Wales, R Key, M Van Jaarsveld, G Martin, J Denly, J Kemp, A Mahmood, R McLaren, J Pipe (wk), A Khan, S Cook

Forecast: Overcast throughout the day but no chance of rain.

Pitch Report: Minor cracks along the length of the pitch. Should help bowlers who put it in the right spot. Spinners may come into play later on in the day if the cracks open up but they look like they might just hold up. The outfield is a little on the slow side due to the heavy rains over the past couple of days.

Toss: Middlesex, who chose to bat first. Captain Ed Joyce, “There could be a little help from the pitch at the moment but once the batsmen get a start things should go smoothly for us. We expect that there will be a lot of inconsistencies when we’re bowling so it’s better that we put some runs on the board so that we have something to defend.”

Comment

Report:Middlesex started off sheepishly, going at only 3.2 runs an over before the first wicket fell with the score on 29. Morgan fell lbw to Khan for 16, bringing Strauss into the middle.
            While Strauss struggled to score runs, as has been his problem this season, captain Smith, on the other hand, led by example. He smacked Cook for four boundaries in the bowler’s third over, and Strauss was all too happy to give his captain the strike.

However, Strauss continued his run of bad form that got him dropped from the England team, falling for only 12 after facing 36 deliveries. It was a good delivery that did him in, swinging in late from around the wicket by Khan, but Strauss would definitely wonder when there will be some runs with his name on it.

Smith brought up a fine 50 off of 67 deliveries with a pull past the midwicket fielder but his partners kept getting themselves out. Joyce, new to the crease and still apparently with his mind in the dressing room, set off too late on what should have been a comfortable single and was run out for only 4.

Smith himself went two overs later, lbw to Khan as he looked to get the run rate up for a well played 60 of 77 balls. Malan, himself short on form, walked out to meet Godleman at the crease. Godleman has been used to this sort of situation, trying to rescue his team from a bad spot. And at 109 for 4 in the 26th over, a job definitely needed to be done.

Malan departed for only two, caught at the floating third slip position by Kemp. Scott came to the crease and immediately set about trying to bring the run rate up, scoring 29 off only 31 deliveries. Godleman was no slouch either, making a rapid 41 off of 52 balls. Still, with only 4.4 runs per over needed by Kent, it would take something special from the bowlers to seize this match.

End of Middlesex innings: 175/5, 40 overs, E Smith 60(77), B Godleman 41(52), A Khan 2-28(8), A Mahmood 1-42(8)

Kent need 176 runs at 4.4 per over

Comment

Silverwood opened the bowling for Middlesex and struck with the last ball of his first over, removing Wales without a run on the board, caught well at second slip by Kartik. Murtagh shared the new ball with him and only leaked one run off of his first over but suddenly Key started to play his shots and the bowlers’ economy rates suffered.

Murtagh finally struck in his third over. Key had hit him for two boundaries earlier in the over and was going for a third, cutting the ball square of the wicket, but he only managed to find Joyce, who held onto a sharp catch to dismiss him for 33 off of only 21 balls.

Dismissing the dangerous Key seemed to give Middlesex a boost and Van Jaarsveld fell in the very next over to a brilliant ball from Silverwood. It hit the seam and straightened just enough to hit in line. There was no doubt in the umpire’s mind and that ball was definitely going on to hit the top of middle stump. Kent found themselves 38 for 3 in the 7th over, their run rate more than enough but their wickets tumbling.

Unfortunately none of the other bowlers seemed to have the same sort of wicket-taking ability as the first two. Denly and Martin found no problems with working them for the necessary singles and the occasional boundary. Suddenly the required rate was under 4 an over and the batsmen were settled into the middle.

Smith brought back his strike bowler for an over and it paid off almost immediately. Silverwood tempted the batsman with a short and wide delivery that bounced just a fraction more than anticipated and Denly could only watch as he was caught at gully by Peploe for 38. Kemp came into the middle and was immediately rapped on the pads but the ball was just going down the legside.

Unfortunately for Middlesex, the other bowlers just continued to leak the runs and Kent cruised to victory in the 38th over, winning by 6 wickets.

End of Kent innings: 176/4, 37.4 overs, G Martin 68*(100), J Denly 38(62), C Silverwood 3-34(7.4), T Murtagh 1-33(8)

Kent win by 6 wickets

Man of the match: G Martin

Comment

I like the match write ups, I find that tricky.

Comment

Cricinfo news

New Middlesex coach wants patience

28th July, 2009

At the post-game press conference today, Middlesex coach Ryon Cupidore asked for some patience while he sorted out the problems that have crept into the Middlesex limited overs performances over the past two years.

“I’ve seen them play a game now so I have something to go by. It would be a couple of games before you see some results but I already have some strategies in mind and I intend to implement them from as early as the next game. We play Derbyshire in the Championship in two days but our form in the longer game is not in doubt.”

Middlesex have now lost both of their games in the Pro40 league thus far. When asked why faith continues to be shown in the out of form Andrew Strauss and Dawid Malan, Cupidore had this to say: “I’m not like other coaches, who will say that work needs to be done and we will address this issue. I’m going to tell you straight. The only reason that Dawid Malan is in the first team at the moment is due to the injury to Nicholas Compton. I think that Malan has a little bit of work to do before he has what it takes at this level at the moment, but to shove him into a 40 over match as a sort of proving ground is just too much. Malan needs to have the pressure taken off of him and that happens in a four day match. He will be given a chance in the championship later on in the season and that would give him the test he needs to succeed. As for Strauss, I know that he’s capable of big scores but he needs to find his form again. He’s been dropped by the England squad in order to find his form at the county level and I guarantee that he will find it.”

With regards to the team’s bowling, coach Cupidore said that “I’m looking to change up the bowling a little bit. The guys that succeed at four day level don’t always become good limited overs bowlers automatically. I’m also looking to some of the batsmen to bowl a little part-time stuff as well. Toby (Radford) showed faith in Edmund Joyce’s medium pace and he’s definitely an option that we can turn to when the strike bowlers need to be rested. Joyce has been very keen to bowl more and more and that’s the sort of passion I hope to see more of in the future.”

Middlesex next play Hampshire in the Pro40 league on August 10th.

Comment

30th July, 2009

Middlesex vs. Derbyshire – County Championship, Division 2

Middlesex: E Morgan, E Smith ©, A Strauss, E Joyce (vc), B Godleman, D Nash, B Scott (wk), T Murtagh, M Kartik, C Silverwood, C Peploe

Derbyshire: J Ellery, S Stubbings, R Clarke, J Sadler, F Telo, G Smith, G Wagg, J Bradshaw (wk), T Lungley, K Dean, N Doshi

Forecast: Overcast throughout the day, clearing up in the second session and hopefully for the rest of the day.

Pitch Report: Absolutely flat with very little cracks or bad patches. Bowlers will have to work long and hard for their wickets here. The outfield has slowed to a crawl and there may be a lot of twos and threes as the ball slows up before the rope.

Toss: Middlesex, who chose to bat first. Ed Smith: “This was a great toss to win. This pitch looks perfect for batting and we’re hoping to post a challenging total on the board for our boys to defend.”

Comment

Report: Middlesex made one change to their team, bringing in wicketkeeper Nash in place of Malan. Scott, however, retains the gloves for this match and Nash is expected to field in the slips for the match. The openers made their way out and play got underway.

Derbyshire made the perfect start to the match, bowling Morgan with a delivery that swung in very late, beating the inside edge and going through the gate to knock back the off stump with the very first ball of the match. This brought Strauss into the middle and all hopes were that he could find some form in this match. Unfortunately that was not to be and Strauss was trapped in front and given out lbw to give Lungley his second wicket.

Captain and vice captain joined each other at the crease but Derbyshire could not be stopped. With the score on 42, Smith found himself comprehensively beaten and the death rattle of the stumps falling was all that he heard afterward. Joyce could hardly stick around either, making 41 off of only 39 deliveries before he fell lbw to Clarke with the score on 87. Nash came in and got off the mark with a sweetly timed shot through the covers for four, but he fell the very next ball to a brilliant catch at short leg.

None of the Middlesex batsmen seemed to want to stay out in the middle for very long. Godleman fell to another great catch at short midwicket and Middlesex’s last recognised batting pair was left at the crease. Derbyshire seemed to have no respect for that, though, and Murtagh was bowled with a delivery that hit a good length and came back in off the seam.

Derbyshire went to lunch with the score on 137 for 7 and clearly the morning session went to them.

Scott was left to bat with the tail and he tried his best to shelter them, farming the strike and checking his big shots in order to work the ones and twos. Murali Kartik fell soon after the break, caught at short leg while trying to fend off a bouncer.

Scott brought up his fifty off of 136 balls and showed his ability to not only play the big shots, but also to stick around when it was necessary. He kept hanging in there, facing most of the strike, but his concentration faltered for a moment when facing Doshi and he poked his bat at a delivery going down the leg side. The ball got the slightest touch on the face of the bat and Bradshaw took a good catch down the legside. Scott got a polite round of applause as he made his way back to the pavilion, staying out in the middle for 175 balls and showing the sort of concentration that the rest of the team desperately needed.

It was only a matter of time before the last wicket fell but Silverwood and Peploe stuck around for another 30 runs before Silverwood finally nicked one to Bradshaw and the innings ended on 232.

End of Middlesex innings: 232/10, B Scott 60, E Joyce 41, R Clarke 3-34, T Lungley 3-72

Comment

Middlesex got four overs before tea at Derbyshire but did not manage to get past any of the openers’ defenses in that time. Derbyshire went to tea on 11 without loss, 221 runs behind.

After the break Stubbings seemed to want to make short work of the deficit, hitting Murtagh for two fours and a six in the same over. Murtagh returned in his next over and got his man with the very first ball, fishing for a delivery outside the line of the off stump and giving first slip a regulation catch. Things remained relatively calm after that and Ellery and Clarke saw off the shine on the new ball.

Murali Kartik was handed the ball in the 22nd over and he struck with his fourth delivery, going around the wicket to Clarke and delivering an armball that hustled Ellery into a shot and Strauss picked up a good catch at silly point. Ellery departed for 33 and the score was 83 for 2.

Derbyshire continued to work away at the total, picking up the runs with relative ease. They closed the day on 136 for 2, 96 runs behind Middlesex and with Clarke and Sadler looking in good touch. Middlesex had a lot to think about overnight.

End of day 1: Derbyshire 136/2, R Clarke 40*, J Sadler 24, M Kartik 1-25, C Peploe 0-2
                        Derbyshire trail by 96 runs

Comment

Day 2: Middlesex had no answer to the two overnight batsmen, who continued to look very impressive. They knocked off what was left of the deficit with about 50 minutes to go until the lunch break, with both men scoring half centuries and looking for more. Hardly a ball seemed to beat the bat.

Kartik finally struck about 20 minutes before the interval, removing Clarke for a well played 89. The damage had already been done, however, and that partnership changed the course of the entire match for Middlesex. Derbyshire went to lunch of 266 for three, with Sadler three runs away from what would be a great century.

Immediately following the break, Sadler got what he required and made exactly three runs to bring up his century in 165 balls. He got a well-deserved ovation form his teammates and from many of the fans as well. Silverwood struck three balls later, however, removing him with a brilliant caught and bowled when he snatched the ball up only inches away from the pitch in his follow through.

Middlesex took the new ball but it only served to give the batsmen something that would come off of the bat better. Smith brought up a fine half century with a boundary through mid on and seemed in no trouble at all. The Derbyshire lead mounted all the while and Middlesex’s body language seemed to tell it all.

It took a batsman error to give Middlesex the breakthrough. After a huge mix-up between the two batsmen, what should have been a single turned into a run out. But Middlesex hardly celebrated. With the lead already 151 and only 5 wickets down, there was not much to celebrate.

Peploe removed Wagg for only 1, but again, the celebrations were muted. Derbyshire looked in no danger at all and went to tea with the score on 402 for 6.

Something seemed to have been said during the break, as Silverwood and Murtagh removed three of the remaining wickets in what was a good aggressive session of bowling. The last pair put a little stopper in things, but eventually the last wicket fell with the score on 459.

End of Derbyshire innings: J Sadler 100, R Clarke 89, C Silverwood 4-118, M Kartik 2-53
                          Derbyshire lead by 227 runs

Comment

Morgan managed to avoid a repeat of his first ball disaster from the first innings but he could not avoid a pair, this time falling…to the second ball of the innings. Smith went soon afterward, and the score was 24 for 2.

Strauss seemed to be finding his form, however, and he hit several perfectly timed shots that sped over the outfield. He brought up his second fifty of 14 innings this season with a push square of the wicket on the offside. Middlesex closed the day looking well in their job to consolidate after the loss of two early wickets and with the partnership between Strauss and Joyce worth 49.

End of day 2: Middlesex 73/2, A Strauss 52*, E Joyce 11*, G Wagg 0-9, R Clarke 0-4
                            Middlesex trail by 154 runs

Comment

Day 3: Strauss looked well as he went about adding to his overnight score of 52, but he fell to a good catch for 74. Joyce brought up his fifty before being bowled soon afterward. This triggered a magnificent bowling spell by all of the Derbyshire bowlers and they removed both Nash and Scott, the first innings hero, for ducks. Middlesex went to lunch struggling at 216 for 6, still 11 runs behind Derbyshire.

Tim Murtagh fell just after the break for 18 and Middlesex found themselves even further in despair. Godleman tried to farm the strike but he could not prevent getting a thick edge that flew to third slip and the tail was left exposed. The last wicket pair managed a few boundaries as a result of the attacking fields set against them, but Derbyshire did not seem to mind too much. The inning eventually ended with Middlesex facing defeat at 262 all out.

End of Middlesex innings: 262/10, A Strauss 74, B Godleman 60, K Dean 5-77, T Lungley 4-107
                              Derbyshire need 36 runs to win

Comment

Working...
                              X