This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dick Van Dykes Disco Dog View Post
    Something I've realised is there is not much mention of tips for spin bowling on this thread.

I use at least 2 spinners in each format but I'm never sure if I'm doing well or could be doing even better.
    Historically I have tended to aim for middle stump.

Basic questions to start with

1. when bowling a leg spinner against a RHB should I aim for leg stump? ... Or middle ?

2. off spinner to a RHB - off stump or middle?

3.SLA to a RHB to follow the same approach to the leg spinner ?
    (Albeit with the SLA would bowl around the wicket)

4. Bowling to LHB .... Which variations have ppl used?
    Simply the off stump for the RHB becomes the leg stump for the LHB switches sides when bowling ?

5. Does anyone use a different tactic in terms of ball placement for the shorter formats of the game?
    Good question DVDDD, I have often wondered about spinners, I always use them the same as seamers in 1st class games with limited success, ie middle and off and aggression level according to batmans score, but the AI murders me with his spinners(even average ones on none turning pitches) and I wonder if I am doing something wrong.
    I do mix it up a bit in limited over games varying line and length.
    Proudly supporting Nottingham Forest and Nottinghamshire CCC.

Comment

What bowling aggression should I use in OD and T20 games? Same as in FC, or?

Comment

Originally posted by StanBeal97 View Post
        What bowling aggression should I use in OD and T20 games? Same as in FC, or?

In T20, I bowl at 3 aggression outside off stump to the most defensive field possible.

Comment

Would be interested in hearing peoples bowling tactics in OD games. Just failed to defend 357 against Pakistan and anything i tinkered with (length/line or fields) just seemed hopeless.

Comment

Originally posted by 512fm View Post
            Would be interested in hearing peoples bowling tactics in OD games. Just failed to defend 357 against Pakistan and anything i tinkered with (length/line or fields) just seemed hopeless.
            Try bowling normal length outside offstump, unless the batsman has an offside preference. In that case bowl at middle. 3 bars aggression throughout at either a 2 field or 1 field.

Comment

Any chance we get can this moved across to the 2017 page?
              some really good tips on this thread

Comment

Et voila.

Copied over, should still be in 2016 forum too.

Comment

And copied in to the 2018 forum as well.

Comment

I just popped in having seen the 2018 release on Steam. Was wondering why this sounded familiar! Well, I'm glad it's helped over the years.

Comment

Don't suppose there's any chance of you doing a similar guide for T20? I'm back to Cricket Captain series after many years away and I'm really struggling to win in the shortest format!

Comment

This is very good advice. But can somebody tell me, is the game a lot harder this year or is it just me getting older?!

Playing as Sussex so not the top side but we have some decent batsment yet I struggle to get to 250 at any time in FC and rarely to 200 in OD.

I’ve played this game for many years and have always done quite well, especially FC but this year I’m appalling as I can never post a score of note. I’m not aware I’m doing anything differently yet there have been times I’ve been 30 odd for 6 on a flat wicket in good conditions!

Can anyone help me?!

Comment

I'm currently playing as Sussex as well, first season is pretty tough. I signed Chesney Hughes which helped me in the runs front. Wells, Wright, Brown and van Zyl all scored runs for me, but I did struggle with the others.

Comment

I think I've got the hang of bowling in FC games.

What I have been going with is:-

F-MF - Full aggression for 6 overs with the new ball, dropping to 5 bars until the 10th over. Bowling at 4 bars when a batsman is settled. If getting expensive drop to 3 bars.
                            Spinners - Generally bowl at 3 bars, 4 bars when bowling aggressively or even 5 bars when trying to get the 1-2 wickets to win a game late on the 4th day. If expensive drop to 2 or 1 bar.
                            M-FM - Bowl at 2 bars, if expensive drop to 1-0 bar.

I recently played a county match against Lancashire, leaving Lancs 300 to win with two and a half sessions to play on the last day. Initially I started aggressive with my strike pairing Porter and Wagner, and off spinner Harmer, but only had 1 wicket before lunch, and a quick wicket straight after lunch. Lancashire were going for it, so I dropped my aggression for all bowlers, Porter and Wagner the exception, they bowled at 4 bar. Harmer was bowling at 2 bar aggression, with Sam Cook and Ravi Bopara bowling at 1 bar. I won the match easily, ok the pitch was erratic and turning on the last day, but the wickets were shared quite evenly throughout the bowling line up.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Wrights Highlights View Post
                              This is very good advice. But can somebody tell me, is the game a lot harder this year or is it just me getting older?!

Playing as Sussex so not the top side but we have some decent batsment yet I struggle to get to 250 at any time in FC and rarely to 200 in OD.

I’ve played this game for many years and have always done quite well, especially FC but this year I’m appalling as I can never post a score of note. I’m not aware I’m doing anything differently yet there have been times I’ve been 30 odd for 6 on a flat wicket in good conditions!

Can anyone help me?!
                              When batting in FC Matches I generally run with 2 bar aggression until 40% settled, then up to 3 bars.

To be more detailed I play ball by ball, and once my batsmen hit a boundary in an over, or have scored 4 runs, I drop the aggression to zero for the rest of the over to try and maintain their wicket. Keep an eye on the conditions and light as well, If conditions are cloudy bat with 1 or 2 bars. If its very cloudy defensive batsmen zero aggression, other batsmen 0-1 bar. The same when the light is bad. I f you notice one of the opposition bowlers is expensive, up the aggression by 1 bar for a settled batsman, but watch the field placings.

Comment

Any tips on the t20 format? Am not quite able to get around how to play the format - I either go very aggressive or 3 bars and I'm struggling! How do I cope?

Comment

Working...
                                X