• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(2019-20) Series 3 - Zimbabwe in Ireland

1st ODI (Of 3)

Team: W Porterfield (C), P Stirling, J Shannon,
    A Balbirnie, T Ruttles, S Poynter (K), K O'Brien,
    A McBrine, S Getkate, G Dockrell, C Young.
    Unused: J Tector, S Singh, J Kendall, B Rankin.

Zimbabwe started well but once the spinners began putting the pressure on, they crumbled - George Dockrell grabbing a five-for. Paul Stirling returned to the side and swiftly departed with a golden duck! We were reduced to 32-3 at one stage but after that it was plain sailing as Andrew Balbirnie and Tom Ruttles both showed their class with a fantastic record-breaking partnership to win the game.

2nd ODI (Of 3)

Team: W Porterfield (C), J Shannon, J Tector,
    A McBrine, G Dockrell, J Kendall, C Young.
    Unused: P Stirling, S Singh S Getkate, B Rankin.

A poor batting performance from us. Apart from Ruttles and Will Porterfield, nobody really got going and we limped to 218 all out. Zimbabwe started their innings quite well but when they tried to accelerate the pace, we bowled fantastically. Jimmy Kendall was extremely economical and Kevin O'Brien and Andy McBrine got the vital wickets as we secured the series win.

3rd ODI (Of 3)

Team: W Porterfield (C), P Stirling, J Tector,
    A McBrine, S Singh, J Kendall, B Rankin.
    Unused: J Shannon, S Getkate, G Dockrell, C Young.

With the series decided, I made a few changes. They didn't have much of an impact, however, with only Simi Singh impressing. We put a decent score on the board but we didn't take any early wickets and Zimbabwe chased us down fairly easily to avoid a 3-0 whitewash.

Comment

(2019-20) Series 3 - Zimbabwe in Ireland (Continued)

1st T20I (Of 3)

Team: W Porterfield (C), P Stirling, J Shannon,
      A McBrine, S Getkate, G Dockrell, C Young.
      Unused: J Tector, S Singh, J Kendall, B Rankin.

A really poor start to the T20 series as only four of our batsmen got into double figures. Needless to say, Zimbabwe didn't really have to break sweat to take a 1-0 lead.

2nd T20I (Of 3)

Team: W Porterfield (C), J Shannon, J Tector,
      A McBrine, G Dockrell, J Kendall, C Young.
      Unused: P Stirling, S Singh, S Getkate, B Rankin.

The one that got away. A total of 170 (although we should have scored another 10-15 runs) is normally enough but despite taking some early wickets, our bowlers were just not good enough as we slipped to a disappointing defeat.

3rd T20I (Of 3)

Team: W Porterfield (C), P Stirling, J Tector,
      A McBrine, S Singh, J Kendall, B Rankin.
      Unused: J Shannon, S Getkate, G Dockrell, C Young.

Well at least we avoided a 3-0 series defeat! Everybody chipped in with runs as we set a decent score of 162. Zimbabwe did threaten at times with the bat but constant wickets really killed their chances and we ended their tour with a win.

Comment

(2019-20) Series 4 - West Indies in Ireland

1st ODI (Of 3)

Team: W Porterfield (C), J Shannon, A Balbirnie,
        T Ruttles, J McCollum, K O'Brien, A McBrine,
        S Poynter (K), G Dockrell, J Kendall, B McCarthy.
        Unused: P Stirling, S Singh, S Getkate, C Young.

A familiar looking squad and we continued our good ODI form with a nail-biting win. Our batting performance fell apart a little bit but George Dockrell hit a vital 32 before he ran out of partners. The Windies were looking pretty comfortable at one stage but we fought back with late wickets and just about got home.

2nd ODI (Of 3)

Team: W Porterfield (C), J Shannon, A Balbirnie,
        T Ruttles, J McCollum, K O'Brien, A McBrine,
        S Poynter (K), G Dockrell, C Young, B McCarthy.
        Unused: P Stirling, S Singh, S Getkate, J Kendall.

We never seem to do too well bowling first although 271 isn't the biggest score ever. The pressure really seems to get to batsmen when chasing and we could never quite keep up with the rate once we started losing regular wickets.

3rd ODI (Of 3)

Team: P Stirling, J Shannon, A Balbirnie,
        T Ruttles, J McCollum, K O'Brien (C), S Poynter (K),
        S Singh, G Dockrell, C Young, B McCarthy.
        Unused: W Porterfield, A McBrine, S Getkate, C Young.

Paul Stirling returned to the side for the out of form Will Porterfield but he made just 9 runs. Fortunately, Andy Balbirnie's fantastic innings put us on the way to a brilliant total of 310. The Windies gave it a good shot but we managed to take wickets regularly enough to put the game beyond them. Another series win!

Comment

(2019-20) Series 4 - West Indies in Ireland (Continued)

1st T20I (Of 3)

Team: A Balbirnie, T Ruttles, J Tector,
          M Gilmour (K), N Greenwood, K O'Brien (C), A McBrine,
          S Thompson, G Dockrell, B McCarthy, C Young.
          Unused: W McClintock, S Poynter, J Mulder, B Rankin.

I've gone for a much younger side in T20 with an emphasis on explosive players. Young wicketkeeper Neil Greenwood came in for his debut and the batting lineup looks very strong. That proved to be the case as we set the Windies 171 to win. Barry McCarthy took a few early wickets and in the end it was pretty comfortable.

2nd T20I (Of 3)

Team: T Ruttles, J Tector, A Balbirnie,
          M Gilmour (K), N Greenwood, K O'Brien (C), A McBrine,
          S Thompson, G Dockrell, B McCarthy, J Mulder.
          Unused: W McClintock, S Poynter, C Young, B Rankin.

A fantastic performance with the bat masked some mediocre, at times, bowling although McCarthy and Andy McBrine did well. Andy Balbirnie was the star of the show again, hitting a majestic 68 and he was supported by Jack Tector and Greenwood who hit 35 each. Kevin O'Brien hit a couple of big sixes to see us home to another series win!

3rd T20I (Of 3)

Team: J Tector, A Balbirnie, N Greenwood (K),
          K O'Brien (C), W McClintock, S Poynter, A McBrine,
          G Dockrell, B McCarthy, J Mulder, B Rankin.
          Unused: T Ruttles, M Gilmour, S Thompson, C Young.

The less said about this game the better! I made a couple of changes and they clearly had a very negative effect! We were skittled for under 100 and overall it was a pretty embarrassing defeat. Good job we already had the series sewn up...

Comment

(2019-20) Series 5 - Sri Lanka in Ireland

Only Test Match

Team: W Porterfield (C), A Dennison, A Balbirnie,
            J Shannon, T Ruttles, N Greenwood, K O'Brien,
            A McBrine, G Dockrell, B McCarthy, J Kendall.
            Unused: S Thompson, C Young.

We just can't seem to be able to recreate our one day batting form in the Test format. Our first innings was a disaster despite the pitch being very playable. We were 113-7 until Andy McBrine and George Dockrell saved us with a stand of 114.

The pitch started to turn but we couldn't take too much advantage of that and Sri Lanka built up a very handy first innings lead of 92. Dockrell bowled a lot of overs but Jimmy Kendall was probably the pick of the bunch.

Our second innings was an improvement but we still relied too much on lower order runs from Dockrell and McBrine. With the pitch now turning sharply, I hoped Dockrell and McBrine could pull something out of the bag but Sri Lanka weathered the spin storm to win comfortably.

Comment

(2019-20) Series 6 - Ireland in Afghanistan

Only Test Match

Team: W Porterfield (C), A Dennison, A Balbirnie,
              J Shannon, J McCollum, N Greenwood, K O'Brien,
              Unused: T Ruttles, C Young.

The one that got away. We really should have won this match after putting ourselves in a great position. We should have scored more in our first innings - we had three of our top order batsmen getting ducks.

We bowled well in their first innings, Barry McCarthy especially, and we went into bat again with a nice lead. Our second innings was a real struggle but we managed to set Afghanistan 294 to win on a rapidly deteriorating pitch.

I thought we stood a good chance but Afghanistan somehow batted like it was a one day game on a brilliant pitch. Regardless of what we tried, they were whacking us around for fun. I don't think we're ever going to win a Test match at this rate!

Comment

(2019-20) Series 6 - Ireland in Afghanistan (Continued)

1st T20I (Of 3)

Team: J Shannon, J Tector, A Balbirnie (C),
                T Ruttles, N Greenwood (K), J McCollum, K O'Brien,
                A McBrine, G Dockrell, B McCarthy, C Young.
                Unused: P Stirling, S Poynter, J Mulder, J Kendall.

It's always great to start the series with a win. The seamers really shined in this one with some vital early wickets meant Afghanistan had to be a bit more cautious. It wasn't a simple chase but quite a few players chipped in and we got home with an over to spare.

2nd T20I (Of 3)

Team: P Stirling, J Shannon, J Tector,
                A Balbirnie (C), T Ruttles, N Greenwood (K), K O'Brien,
                Unused: J McCollum, S Poynter, J Mulder, J Kendall.

We lost two wickets in the first over so we were never going to get a big score in the second game. We steadied the ship, though, and posted a respectable 146 mostly thanks to Andy Balbirnie and Jack Tector. The Afghans got off to a flyer and were always comfortable as they chased us down pretty easily.

3rd T20I (Of 3)

Team: T Ruttles, J Shannon, J Tector,
                A Balbirnie (C), J McCollum, N Greenwood (K), K O'Brien,
                Unused: J McCollum, S Poynter, J Mulder, J Kendall.

Barry McCarthy has really impressed recently and he did well again, removing both openers early on. We managed to bowl quite economically apart from one disaster over that went for 19. We had another really bad start to our innings, losing Tom Ruttles and James Shannon in the first over. New skipper Balbirnie and Tector put us back on the right track again and some fantastic late hitting from Kevin O'Brien and James McCollum saw us home with two balls to spare!

Comment

2019/20 Ireland Review

World Rankings

Test :- 12th (0 pts) (-)
                  ODI :- 11th (10 pts) (+7)
                  T20I :- 11th (5 pts) (+3)

Test Averages

Despite still waiting for our first Test win, we came pretty close and I feel we are now a more competitive side in this format. We're still another quality seamer and opener away from being a consistently decent team but hopefully that will come in time.

ODI Averages

We have been very, very good in ODIs this year, beating Bangladesh, Afghanistan, West Indies and Zimbabwe to solidify us as a threat to the big boys. Hopefully we will be able to break into the top 10 soon which will enable us to qualify for the World Cup.

T20I Averages

A mixed bag for us in the shortest format but to finish off the year with a series win against a team like Afghanistan was very encouraging. If we can get some more runs form the top of the order, we'll be a match for most sides.

Player of the Season
                  Andrew Balbirnie (29 - RHB)

George Dockrell was close with his good bowling (and at times better batting!) but in the end it was Andy Balbirnie without a doubt. You only have to look at the run scoring lists above to know he was out key batsman this season. A really consistent performer who is now our one day captain - I'm shocked he hasn't been snapped up by an English county team!
                  Last edited by KingCostly; 08-23-2018, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Well, I didn't quite expect an Irishman to top the World Rankings in ODIs in just the second season!

Comment

(2020-21) Series 1 - Ireland in Zimbabwe

Only Test Match

Team: W Porterfield (C), J Tector, A Balbirnie,
                      T Ruttles, J McCollum, N Greenwood (K), K O'Brien,
                      A McBrine, G Dockrell, S Getkate, B McCarthy.
                      Unused: P Stirling, A Shields, A Dennison, P White, J Kendall, C Young, B Rankin.

We prepared well for this game with a comfortable innings victory over Mashonaland. But when it came to the real thing, we really struggled. The toss was crucial and Zimbabwe won it - putting a decent first innings total on the board.

We fought back from some early dismissals to get to 338 as the pitch started to deteriorate. Despite that, our bowling was extremely poor in Zimbabwe's second innings and they would probably have scored 500+ plus if not for their declaration.

I hoped we could match their positive batting performance but I was very wrong. We crumbled yet again and fell way short of even rescuing a draw. A poor result to kick off the new season.

Comment

(2020-21) Series 1 - Ireland in Zimbabwe (Continued)

1st T20I (Of 5)

Team: P Stirling, J Tector, A Balbirnie (C),
                        T Ruttles, W McClintock, N Greenwood (K), K O'Brien,
                        Unused: J Shannon, J McCollum, C Young, B Rankin.

We bowled well to start but that soon ended once Raza, who did so much damage in the Test, got his eye in. We lost a few early wickets and were never really in with a chance of chasing Zimbabwe down.

2nd T20I (Of 5)

Team: P Stirling, J Tector, A Balbirnie (C),
                        A McBrine, G Dockrell, B McCarthy, B Rankin.
                        Unused: J Shannon, W McClintock, C Young, J Kendall.

Paul Stirling is back! After an awful season, he has returned with some kind of form and is looking back to his best. He and James McCollum helped set a pretty formidable total but we still needed a three-wicket last over from Kevin O'Brien to clinch it.

3rd T20I (Of 5)

Team: P Stirling, A Balbirnie (C), T Ruttles,
                        J McCollum, W McClintock, N Greenwood (K), K O'Brien,
                        Unused: J Shannon, J Tector, C Young, J Kendall.

Stirling and Jack Tector practically won us this match with their fantastic opening stand. I was disappointed not to reach 200 as we were batting on max aggression for 15 overs. Despite some less than questionable bowling (again!) we managed to see the game out.

Comment

(2020-21) Series 1 - Ireland in Zimbabwe (Continued)

4th T20I (Of 5)

Team: P Stirling, A Balbirnie (C), T Ruttles,
                          J McCollum, W McClintock, N Greenwood (K), K O'Brien,
                          Unused: J Shannon, J Tector, C Young, J Kendall.

The less said about this one the better! I'm not surprised I exited without taking a screenshot of the scorecard. Zimbabwe made 182 with some impressive batting and we completely crumbled, being bowled out for 69. We had two players reach double figures!

Center]5th T20I (Of 5)

Team: T Ruttles, J Shannon, J Tector,
                          A Balbirnie (C), J McCollum, N Greenwood (K), K O'Brien,
                          Unused: J Shannon, W McClintock, C Young, B Rankin.

The series decider so I was glad we batted first. We started well but fell apart a bit in the middle overs and eventually got bowled out with seven balls to spare. Still, I was (for some reason...) confident of defending 160. Barry McCarthy got us off to a great start and we kept taking regular wickets to win the series by a fine margin.

Comment

(2020-21) Series 2 - Bangladesh in Ireland

Only Test Match

Team: W Porterfield (C), J Tector, A Balbirnie,
                            Unused: S Thompson, J Kendall.

A different Test match, the same result. We bowled quite well in their first innings but put down four catches which probably cost us at least 50 runs. Our first innings started badly and but for a fantastic 272-run partnership between James McCollum and Kevin O'Brien, we would have been way behind.

Then our usual Test Match form set in and we bowled pretty woefully as Bangladesh added another 278 runs without any issues. They declared giving us just under a full day to survive. We didn't even make it to Tea. Skittled for a paltry 119, another embarrassing showing with the bat.

I'm not sure if it's my fault or whether the players just aren't good enough but we're still a long, long way away from being even a respectable Test outfit.

Comment

(2020-21) Series 2 - Bangladesh in Ireland (Continued)

1st ODI (Of 3)

Team: P Stirling, J Shaw, A Balbirnie (C),
                              J McCollum, N Greenwood (K), W McClintock, K O'Brien,
                              A McBrine, G Dockrell, S Getkate, B McCarthy.
                              Unused: T Ruttles, S Poynter, T Stanton, J Kendall.

This was the Andy Balbirnie and Neil Greenwood show! Centuries for both allowed us to set Bangladesh a big target and they were never a threat really as we won by 103 runs.

2nd ODI (Of 3)

J McCollum, N Greenwood (K), W McClintock, K O'Brien,
                              Unused: T Ruttles, S Poynter, S Getkate, T Stanton.

Well that was quite different! A dreadful performance with the bat that gave us no chance of victory.

3rd ODI (Of 3)

N Greenwood (K), W McClintock, S Poynter, K O'Brien,
                              Unused: T Ruttles, J McCollum, S Getkate, T Stanton.

The top order failed again and we limped to 242 all out. With our bowlers it was never going to be enough and Bangladesh won the series with a couple of overs to spare.

Comment

(2020-21) Series 2 - Bangladesh in Ireland (Continued)

1st T20I (Of 3)

Team: P Stirling, A Balbirnie (C), J McCollum,
                                W McClintock, N Greenwood (K), S Poynter, K O'Brien,
                                Unused: J Tector, T Ruttles, S Singh, B Rankin.

We restricted Bangladesh to 169 but we always seem to struggle to chase down decent targets in T20 and when the tickets started tumbling, we had no real chance.

2nd T20I (Of 3)

Unused: J Tector, T Ruttles, S Singh, J Kendall.

Andy Balbirnie (who else?!) hit a classy 48 but we ran out of steam a little bit to end on 160. Bangladesh scored quickly early on but regular wickets allowed us to strangle the game before bowling them out.

3rd T20I (Of 3)

Unused: J Tector, T Ruttles, S Singh, J Kendall.

A really awful performance in the series decider - one to move on from and quickly.

Comment

Working...
                                X