RSA Database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSA Database

As I said elsewhere, just updated to 2K17 from 2005(!) though been playing 2005 off an on for ages. Playing RSA teams officially (had a usermade patch for... ICC 2? Which was RSA / Aus / NZ as 18 teams) and RSA players MUCH more realistic than before. No more Pierre Joubert and Mark de Stadler superhumans! One thing I'd love both in ICC and IRL is for provincial matches not to be FC. This is where Cricket Captain (and many fans) can overestimate certain players performances... There are a gazillion examples, but let's look at a) Pieter Malan. 44 franchise 4-day innings 1 100 and 7 50s average of 24.52. Overall FC average after 191 innings (so around 150 2nd team innings) - 46.02. I have seen him put forward as a player who would be in the SA Team if it weren't for "quotas"!? 2nd example - Chris Morris. Batting ave 21.48 in franchise cricket after 30 innings; overall 31.36 over 75 innings I do this version does a better job ignoring anomalous stats, but is far from perfect (Alfred Mothoa!?) Would you consider excluding 2nd team from Cricket Captain FC averages? I realise it would make them seem inaccurate as Wisden/Cricket Council DO, but from the beginning of the game on, they are then ignored and recorded as 2nd team (like they should!) For a long time, I have manually recorded all players franchise only records (https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Xc?usp=sharing). Obviously, manual records are prone to errors, so I doubt mine are perfect. Cricketarchive(dot)com can manually be used to evaluate each player. They are now behind a paywall, alas... Would love to help make my own (and others) SA cricket simulation more accurate!

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback on the improvement of the RSA Database, I've been working closely with a tester on this and I'm pleased with the progress we've made in the last 3-4 years on South African players, as it has been exceptionally tough to balance. Some of the variation between Franchise and Provincial level is extreme.

I'd agree with you that provincial shouldn't be classed as FC, but for all the time it is I think we should have it too. Separating it out as a separate option* would not be straight forward, though a nice idea that perhaps could be used elsewhere. Again though, very complex.

*ie, a filter that sorts stats by Team.

Are there examples other than Mothoa who you think are too good? We've spent quite a bit of time on SA players, though given the complex nature of the system, the odd one can get through.

Nigel

Comment

Yeah, it's definitely the most realistic ICC I've seen! Have a look at the Spreadsheet I linked too, which is first team only (also excludes test and County, though)

I just looked back at my long paragraph and it sounds like a long screed, given what I just said. And I realise I have biases just like anyone...

Harmer shouldn't be Defensive - L/O S/r > 100 and all... Nqolo is too good (he is a bits and pieces, more a batsman...) K Smuts is an all-rounder - though also a bits and pieces one. Bokako is a bit too good, though I can see him getting there, maybe. Gqamane is a little too weak? (Unless he just won't perform for me) - he's complex though; at his best he was 145km/h and extremely destructive. Went off the boil a few seasons back, but on the up over all... Birch is a little weak. Nortje too strong, at least for now, but he definitely has the potential to be that good... in 2 or 3 years (very raw at this point). Also, he's coloured. Ingram is part-time keeper - you still have that classification?

Hamza is much higher rated, though hasn't converted at top level yet (I don't know if you have a potential variable like Cricket Coach). Khomari too good. Malan too good. Tshiki way too good. Verreyne perhaps too good, highly rated youngster who hasn't yet done anything at top level. Same with Galiem. Keegan Pietersen is a part time keeper.

Swanepoel an all-rounder. Second a little weak? He's probably very close to SA team, behind Klaasen ito keeper/batsman. Patrick Kruger too good. Baartman too good. Budaza a little weak, though he's only had one (very) good season last season... Marchant de Lange a bit weak? Ntuli way too strong!

vd Dussen a little weak (also close to SA side). Mosehle should be v aggresive.

Erwee a little weak. Zondo a little weak, he's one of the best players of spin in the country and has come off some very high scoring seasons (his first few seasons, as a youngster were diabolical, but once found feet he's been piling on runs. Makhanya a little weak, though opinions will be divided - a lot of failures, but a few excellent knocks; talented, but not converting yet. Savage a little weak? Has performed well, but been very injury-prone.

Behardien should at least be Aggressive (one of the best ODI S/Rs in SA history!?) Moonsamy might start too good? He's certainly one of the hottest young talents, and I don't know how your "potential" system where young players develop with time works, but he was picked in 2018 for SA ODI side and that's a bit much? Dala is not medium (he bowls low 140s / high 130s mostly). Siboto also a little underrated - very consistent seamer over last few years - late bloomer.

Shezi is missing. Mehl too good. Frenz too good (2nd team stats!) B Mosena way too good. Nhlebela too good. Pedi waay too good (he has an SA contract in my game?!) Stuurman too good (2nd team medium pace trundler!) Rickelton too good (well-rated youngster, yet to do anything at first team level). May be others lurking in the amateur/uncontracted section... With a few exceptions - e.g. Hume, Shamsi until recently (Dolphins had Maharaj, Tahir and Subrayen contracted!) - players without franchise contracts are pretty low quality.

Comment

Can you put your player specific feedback in to the database thread? As I'm likely to miss player feedback outside of that thread and I like having it all together, as I can compare feedback from different users, etc.

Regen names, we're looking to set up a regen names database feedback forum and use that for 2018 version of the game. I'll look in to sorting this out next week.

Comment

It seemed to be locked previously?

Comment

The forum is locked, but I've got a thread here:

Comment

Hey GRAB, I'm just beginning my career with Sa, have you any suggestions on which players to select for each format?? irrespective of whether it's realistic or not, I'd like to have a team that can win. I find it's too arduous going through all the statistics every time I have to pick a squad. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X